Sponsored

s550 to use Virtual Pivot Control Link and all aluminum Control Blade IRS

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Starting this now... Over the next few days I will be going over the differences in Virtual Pivot and the tried and true MacP systems. We will also discuss the advantages of Control Blade IRS vs. your typical 4 link. We will do some comparisons to the solid axle as well. Control Blade is a fantastic drag racing IRS and the VP front suspension is indeed a double wishbone.

Stay tuned and please contribute... Both systems are from Ford AU and DANA suspensions. Aussie suspension engineering leaves Italy and Germany decades behind. Dampers are a different story but as far as geometry goes, Australia has it figured out.

Posted by a new member...Thanks brother...

Motoring can confirm Ford Australia President Bob Graziano and Ford Motor Company Executive Vice-President of Global Marketing, Sales & Service and Lincoln, Jim Farley, will use the ‘Go Further: A Vision for Australia’ function to confirm the Mk6 Mustang for Australia.

Due to make its world debut in concept form at the Detroit motor show in January, before the production version bows at the New York show next April – precisely 50 years after the original appeared there in 1964 – the new Mustang will enter production at the Flat Rock plant in Michigan next July, with right-hand drive production to follow by early 2015.

Key details were revealed by respected Australian journalist Peter Robinson in the latest issue of Wheels magazine, including a starting price of well under $50,000, making the new Mustang far more accessible than the last locally-converted model priced close to $90,000.

Codenamed S550, the 2015 Mustang will ride on an all-new platform and weap dramatic new sheetmetal inspired by the 2011 EVOS concept (pictured). Initially available only in 2+2 coupe form, it will again be joined by a convertible, with both models available with turbocharged 2.3-litre four-cylinder, twin-turbo 3.7-litre and naturally-aspirated 5.0-litre V8 engines.

Ford is unlikely to announce any Australian links, but motoring.com.au sources say the first four-cylinder Mustang will share the most in common with the Falcon; that car's 2.0-litre engine was the first rear-drive, longitudinal application of Ford’s new EcoBoost four-cylinder engine globally.

While the second-generation ‘Nano’ EcoBoost turbo-four will grow to 2.3 litres for the base Mustang (and upcoming Focus RS), development by Australian engineers of the 2.0-litre FG Falcon was a direct precursor for the entry-level Mustang, which will also feature the Falcon’s six-speed 6R80 automatic transmission.

Noise, vibration and harshness lessons learned in adapting the inherently coarser direct-injection engine to the Falcon will also be incorporated into the next Mustang – the iconic American nameplate that has attracted more than 8.5 million sales in 49 years.

However, Ford’s new performance leader will also ride on suspension developed in Australia, including a derivative of the Virtual Pivot alloy front-end engineered for the SZ Territory and FG Falcon and an aluminium version of the Control Blade independent rear suspension developed for the same vehicles.
http://ninemsn.carsales.com.au/news...in-mustang-37758?_t=555314999&_r=NH_editorial
Sponsored

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Here is the complete set up from the Falcon. VPCL and CBIRS.

Ford-FG-Falcon-2.jpg

The Mustang is getting front suspension just as advanced as the rear... This thing is going to handle.

Ricky35

Damn this gonna be good thx for starting up. Subscribed. I'm not well versed on suspensions, so this be really informational.

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Damn this gonna be good thx for starting up. Subscribed. I'm not well versed on suspensions, so this be really informational.
You will be versed by Friday... This is the kind of new features that will be completely dissected for those interested.

Leviathan

Threads
Reaction score
Definitely looking forward to this as well. I like what I'm seeing so far.

Sponsored

Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Very nice Pill. Looking forward to reading more about it. I kinda presumed the front susp would change due to the major change in the rear.

And from the quote in your first post, the production Mustang will be revealed April 2014 in NY, correct?

Thanks.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I think we'll have to see.

Tall spindle designs may be good for reducing the loads fed into the chassis, but they aren't all that good for camber gain. Looks a lot like the 4th gen F-body in that respect. Exact dimensions will matter, though.

I hope that the sta-bar split bushing endlink is only a conceptual presentation. Or that at least there will be an OE performance option for something a bit more quick-acting.

I'll be interested in seeing more about that control blade setup. Let's just say I've seen it mentioned before.

Norm

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Leaves Italians decades behind?

Pfft, okay. Let's not exaggerate too much here.
Ferrari still uses a double wishbone front and multi-link rear. Unless it is 6 link or Z (from German), Control blade is lighter, cheaper, performs just as well and more durable. The multi-link's geometry makes it heavy and expensive and Ferrari (as well as GM) needed to develop special magnetic shocks to tune suspension for performance while the MRC adjust the ride to soft.

CBIRS allows engineers to tune the handling components completely separate from the ride components. No other system will allow that. That means, no electric computers adjusting your handling components on rebound into a soft ride... Ford can tune for maximum performance (super, super stiff) but the driver will only feel a Lincoln like ride. This is the future of IRS and is being adopted by the Germans. The Germans had better systems than the Italians and there is no need for magnetic ride control. Decades behind... As I said, damper technology is great in Europe, the suspension systems though has fallin' behind this super simple Control Blade IRS.

That's a big plus for me... It is not a very complicated system. By the end of the thread, you will understand a little better.

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Lesson 1: Control Blade Independent Rear Suspension

I'm an @$$ man myself so we are gonna start in the rear, it has also been confirmed. Here is a simple diagram of the CBIRS from a Falcon from 2002-2004. I want to get into nomenclature in detail but, there are several different kinds of Control Blade IRS. Nomenclature is important here because the first time you look under the rear and DO NOT see your shocks, you are going to be confused. The CBIRS that is used for performance uses a compact shock that is about 1/10th the size of typical shocks (see below)

The compact shocks are circled in red, tiny right? Removing the full lenght coil-overs frees up a lot of rear seat/trunk room because there is NO strut tower anymore.

The springs are circled in green and some may ask about coil-overs... There could be a compact coil-over in the future BUT, that may eliminate the ability to tune ride and handling separately... Looking at it closer, I think they can be placed on the same axis without affecting both.

Control Blades are in blue. This is what helps drag racers... You will notice that Control Blade is almost like a Solid rear axle and IRS hybrid. Those Control Blades help plant the weight on the rear tires as well as eliminate brake dive. NO OTHER IRS CAN DO THIS. CBIRS is simply a multi-link design that uses Torsen bars (Control Blades) as an assisting link. You will also notice Ford has moved the shocks and springs further inboard... This actually allows for a smaller traveling spring and shock which allows them to downsize everything.

Here we go, already done for me...

Here is the other version that uses full size shocks... This is more for FWD cars than RWD.

The S550 should have version 2 unless it's a new compact coil-over... Could be...

Lets take a look at the proposed S550 IRS.

You will notice right away that the S550's IRS doesn't have as much bulk as the Falcon's. Major weight savings has been done and it won't surprise me if the entire system is lighter than the solid axle and has less unsprung weight than typical 4 link IRS. I believe I see a shock in the second pic, can't tell if it's full length or compact. It seems it may have move outward passed the spring, perhaps for more shock travel. One things for sure, I HAVE NEVER SEEN IRS LIKE THIS. It looks like a combination of version 1 and 2... Regardless, CBIRS mounts onto the chassis as a modular unit. Shock and spring location can literally be altered by changing the modular unit. The shocks don't bolt on to the chassis as far as compact shocks go... The full length version could allow an easy SRA swap as the Control Blades could mount where the SRA's trailing arms both up... This is all speculation though.

Fact is, with the flexibility in the Control Blade IRS, there could be multiple versions used... Most likely, it is an evolution of the Control Blade system and something we haven't seen yet.

Sponsored

Callie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 GT Convertible
This is great stuff so far the Pill :thumbsup:
Looking forward to more.

I would think if it's the latest CBIRS setup there shouldnt be much, if any weight gain over the current solid axle and even more if it looks less bulky than the Falcons.

I've read some bad press about CBIRS and i think someone did a whole writeup on it, forgot where i saw it, but I actually think an evolution of the Falcon IRS would be great for the Mustang. U gotta think they're not just gonna trash the entire thing and some parts of the Falcon will live on in other Ford cars. This could be one of them.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Dave Australia

Threads
Reaction score
Makes sense to let Ford Aus do the suspension work considering they are the most qualified in the ford empire for RWD and IRS. Great read, thanks.

ford4v429

Threads
Reaction score
video of a virtual pivot setup on a G8:

should allow more wheel depth without messing up ABS steering pull due to scrub radius that usually increases with wheel depth...maybe the deepdish wheels will return someday :)
Sponsored