2017 GT350R vs. 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think it's awful to compare a car with a forced induction power plant to a car with a naturally aspirated power plant. It's apples and oranges. Not to mention the delta in displacement. Granted the ZL1 is very impressive but it's like comparing a 2013 GT500 to a 2013 GT. Anyway. Some of these comparison articles make me laugh.
The two cars are similar in price and they are both American RWD sporty cars. Comparisons are inevitable. I'd rather see more comparisons rather than fewer. I think they are fun to watch.
Sponsored

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
Sure, I think the Mustang is a bit better looking. That is why I bought it. It was Ford low quality that made me sell it. The motor was burning 1 qt of oil in 500 miles or so. So if you say that is special then I would say it is too. And it was Ford voiding my warranty for Ford Performance parts were installed by a Ford dealer.

GM won't do that.
Don't be to sure of that. My friend had a vett he had the dealer install performance parts to and they voided his warranty when he was having cooling issues. He then traded it in and they wanted him to sign a waiver saying the reason for the trade in was because of paint issues. Don't always blame the manufacturers because sometimes it's the dealer.
I have a customer that has a Silverado with a 8.1 and when it was less than a year old it was burning 3 qts of oil in 100 gallons of gas and GM said it was acceptable.

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
I think it's awful to compare a car with a forced induction power plant to a car with a naturally aspirated power plant. It's apples and oranges. Not to mention the delta in displacement. Granted the ZL1 is very impressive but it's like comparing a 2013 GT500 to a 2013 GT. Anyway. Some of these comparison articles make me laugh.
Exactly.
It's like comparing a gt500 to a boss 302. Different cars.

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
The two cars are similar in price and they are both American RWD sporty cars. Comparisons are inevitable. I'd rather see more comparisons rather than fewer. I think they are fun to watch.
Who cares if they cost the same. I get that. But it's not an apples to apples comparison. It would be the same gripe if ford compared its new gt500 to a z28. The GM guys would do the same crying. The z28 to gt350 was a equal comparison. Why not compare the demon to the zl1?

My2017CamaroZL1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
I agree. This test between the 2 are not equal. But it was just the current best to best. It is all they had.

Sponsored

My2017CamaroZL1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
Sounds like you had a defective engine. Mine hasn't used a drop of oil. I know GM LS engines occasionally burned too much oil, but most don't. Stack clearances.

I know GM will definitely void your warranty if you use non stock engine parts/tune. If you have a cool dealer, you might get away with it, though.
Agreed, GM won't do that if it is a GM part number told to me straight to my face. But Ford will void your warranty using Ford Performance, which is what will happen.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Who cares if they cost the same. I get that. But it's not an apples to apples comparison. It would be the same gripe if ford compared its new gt500 to a z28. The GM guys would do the same crying. The z28 to gt350 was a equal comparison. Why not compare the demon to the zl1?
I'm sure that comparison will be made many times. And I agree that doesn't make it necessarily a good comparison.

It's always going to be the top pony cars from all three lined up against each other, even though the FCA cars are more muscle cars than pony cars. FCA should bring back the Barracuda or, I guess they own what was once AMC, so it could be a Javelin or AMX.

My2017CamaroZL1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
Don't be to sure of that. My friend had a vett he had the dealer install performance parts to and they voided his warranty when he was having cooling issues. He then traded it in and they wanted him to sign a waiver saying the reason for the trade in was because of paint issues. Don't always blame the manufacturers because sometimes it's the dealer.
I have a customer that has a Silverado with a 8.1 and when it was less than a year old it was burning 3 qts of oil in 100 gallons of gas and GM said it was acceptable.
Well then, that was unfortunate. I don't plan to mod.

My2017CamaroZL1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
I'm sure that comparison will be made many times. And I agree that doesn't make it necessarily a good comparison.

It's always going to be the top pony cars from all three lined up against each other, even though the FCA cars are more muscle cars than pony cars. FCA should bring back the Barracuda or, I guess they own what was once AMC, so it could be a Javelin or AMX.
Those AMC cars were their only sought after vehicles. They were kinda fast.

GBGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT350 W/lightning blue stripes
Just for the record I was not crying or whining. I realize no one accused me of that but I just want to be clear. I am not a whiner. The HP and performance wars do benefit us all. I also believe if we left it up the the folks in communities like this we would never see comparisons like a GT350R vs ZL1. We know the cars are different but the fact is the advertisers just like to stir crap (like the media with politics because it sells) and the folks out there with bigger wallets that are less informed than us car folk don't know any better and will buy cars based on comparisons like this one.

There are a ton of things I love about the Camaro and the Mustang. First the power-plant in the Camaro (naturally aspirated or forced induction) have always had my attention. I'm 46 and actually prefer pushrod V-8 power over the overhead cam engines. It;s just my preference. I not only look at performance but the package as well. Meaning the LS engines are a nice small package while the Coyote is a physically large monster. Too large IMO for the power it delivers. I had always hoped Ford would return one day with a redesigned pushrod V8 but I realize I am dreaming. I mean that Coyote is so damn large I would expect it to have at least 400+ cubic inches.

Now I think the styling of the Mustang is well thought out. and I am not just referring to looks. I still have trouble dealing with the blind spot in the Camaro back by the B-Pllar. It's unnerving for me.

As far as the transmission goes, the Camaro wins hands down. I wish Ford would put the Tremec in all its V8 cars, but they don't and I won't get into my experience with the MT82 but it isn't good. However I do love the durability of the 6R80. It's a beast. Oh but wait you can;t get a performance pack with an auto in the Mustang........ Stupid IMO.

Now as for the aftermarket. The Mustang community is so large that I believe the aftermarket parts world has much more to offer the Mustang owners. This is a huge factor as I enjoy modding cars.

Lastly I love Ford. My Father brainwashed me as a young man. LOL. I am currently driving a Dodge but will be back in a Mustang very shortly.

Please before anyone wants to lambaste me, these are just my opinions and I am not trying to say one is better than the other, etc. Just the world of me. LOL

Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Those AMC cars were their only sought after vehicles. They were kinda fast.

My car passions were ignited when my uncle took me for a ride in his brand new AMX, I was 6 or 7.

Could you imagine the hellcat or demon power plant in a mid to high 3000 lb modern version of the AMX.

Would be very cool.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I modified my 14 GT500 and my dealer didn't care.

I think the ZL1 is fair looking ride but just not as nice as the 350. Anyone can slap a supercharger on a car and make it fast. What makes the zl1 SPECIAL, a timeless keeper car? The magnaride? The brakes? The supercharger?
I think what makes it a good car is that it is a complete package in harmony. The GT 350 is a special car the engine, largest flat plane production motor in a US auto and it revs to 8250. Very special right there. Then everything else balances extremely well with it. Brakes, magnaride, 6 speed manual, carbon rims, it really is a very special car.
It made me rethink what I want out of my next car. If ford just slaps a supercharger on a 350 chassis and turns the FPC to CPC 5.2, it just won't have that special appeal that i get with this 350.
Even WHEN it comes and sweeps every category vs a zl1, I'll still look at what it's offering...sure, it'll be a good car with great performance but what will make it a keeper car? I'm waiting to find out. I don't want to trade in anymore, I just want to find keeper cars and load the garage up. I've had enough of modding and then taking parts off to trade in.
I know enough now as to what I'm looking for in a car. A supercharged gt500/zl1 are quick cars but what's gonna make them a drivers car? I'm hoping for something that makes me say "gotta have it" like the GT350 said to me. I'm not a GM fan, tho the talk of the mid engine has me curious.
The camaro has never been something I've been interests in, looks wise. If I can't handle being seen in a car, I don't care how much performance it has, I'm not getting it.

GBGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT350 W/lightning blue stripes

I think the ZL1 is fair looking ride but just not as nice as the 350. Anyone can slap a supercharger on a car and make it fast. What makes the zl1 SPECIAL, a timeless keeper car? The magnaride? The brakes? The supercharger?
I think what makes it a good car is that it is a complete package in harmony. The GT 350 is a special car the engine, largest flat plane production motor in a US auto and it revs to 8250. Very special right there. Then everything else balances extremely well with it. Brakes, magnaride, 6 speed manual, carbon rims, it really is a very special car.
It made me rethink what I want out of my next car. If ford just slaps a supercharger on a 350 chassis and turns the FPC to CPC 5.2, it just won't have that special appeal that i get with this 350.
Even WHEN it comes and sweeps every category vs a zl1, I'll still look at what it's offering...sure, it'll be a good car with great performance but what will make it a keeper car? I'm waiting to find out. I don't want to trade in anymore, I just want to find keeper cars and load the garage up. I've had enough of modding and then taking parts off to trade in.
I know enough now as to what I'm looking for in a car. A supercharged gt500/zl1 are quick cars but what's gonna make them a drivers car? I'm hoping for something that makes me say "gotta have it" like the GT350 said to me. I'm not a GM fan, tho the talk of the mid engine has me curious.
The camaro has never been something I've been interests in, looks wise. If I can't handle being seen in a car, I don't care how much performance it has, I'm not getting it.
Did you experience a major failure with your 2014 GT500 ? If not, thats why your dealer didn't care.

My2017CamaroZL1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
Just for the record I was not crying or whining. I realize no one accused me of that but I just want to be clear. I am not a whiner. The HP and performance wars do benefit us all. I also believe if we left it up the the folks in communities like this we would never see comparisons like a GT350R vs ZL1. We know the cars are different but the fact is the advertisers just like to stir crap (like the media with politics because it sells) and the folks out there with bigger wallets that are less informed than us car folk don't know any better and will buy cars based on comparisons like this one.

There are a ton of things I love about the Camaro and the Mustang. First the power-plant in the Camaro (naturally aspirated or forced induction) have always had my attention. I'm 46 and actually prefer pushrod V-8 power over the overhead cam engines. It;s just my preference. I not only look at performance but the package as well. Meaning the LS engines are a nice small package while the Coyote is a physically large monster. Too large IMO for the power it delivers. I had always hoped Ford would return one day with a redesigned pushrod V8 but I realize I am dreaming. I mean that Coyote is so damn large I would expect it to have at least 400+ cubic inches.

Now I think the styling of the Mustang is well thought out. and I am not just referring to looks. I still have trouble dealing with the blind spot in the Camaro back by the B-Pllar. It's unnerving for me.

As far as the transmission goes, the Camaro wins hands down. I wish Ford would put the Tremec in all its V8 cars, but they don't and I won't get into my experience with the MT82 but it isn't good. However I do love the durability of the 6R80. It's a beast. Oh but wait you can;t get a performance pack with an auto in the Mustang........ Stupid IMO.

Now as for the aftermarket. The Mustang community is so large that I believe the aftermarket parts world has much more to offer the Mustang owners. This is a huge factor as I enjoy modding cars.

Lastly I love Ford. My Father brainwashed me as a young man. LOL. I am currently driving a Dodge but will be back in a Mustang very shortly.

Please before anyone wants to lambaste me, these are just my opinions and I am not trying to say one is better than the other, etc. Just the world of me. LOL
I have owned 5 Fords in my life as I was the same way, my father swore by Fords and swore at them. My first car was a 1966 Galaxie 500 with the big 390. For a 4 door, it would smoke the tires. My last Ford, I do mean last, was the GT350. My ZL1 is only my 2nd chevy. I have owned German cars, Japanese cars and Ford trucks(Toyota Tacoma's now, 3rd one), but always a truck to compliment my car.

I appreciate quality and recognize when to sell a car before it costs more to keep then to sell.

My2017CamaroZL1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1

For sure a mid-engine car (new vette), the Ford GT, are special cars or car to be. It is a drive train that the US has never seen before in a car of any consequence that can be bought at a dealer. Sure there were rear engine cars to be sure, but they were not something to be called special. They were putt putt cars.

I would be interested in a mid-engine car
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.