Sponsored

Advice re Ford performance hood struts

Jules-2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hi all, I'm a little confused re hood struts. I am thinking of getting the Ford Performance struts (m-16826-ma from amazon as)
- they are only $80
- they have nice ford branding

I can see the battery on the AU S550 is on the otherside to the US.

Can someone help answer for me:

- Isnthe Ford Performance struts ok?
- Do the US ones for the AU cars ok(noting the battery cutout directions have to be taken into consideration.
- Is it worth paying for the many more expensive (ie at least double) other kits from Steeda etc?

thanks guys.
Sponsored

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Hi mate I've got the ford performance struts from the US and they fit fine and require no modification, work well and look good. In terms of other kits it really depends on what you want, i really like the oem look of this.

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
There is a template for the battery cover cutout which comes with the kit. This is for LHD; all you need to do is mirror image it, flip it over, for our RHD cars. Had me scratching my head for a while!!

MM Pony GT

MM Pony GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maks
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
No issues or differences between rhd and lhd as far as hood struts are concerned.
The cutout template for battery cover: just flip it upside down.

OP
OP

Jules-2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks heaps guys. Other kits are twice the price and I could not understand why. If others say the Ford performance ones work that's good enough for me.

Was also concerned if the holes in the body are there for the bracket but it seems they must be. (My car arrives June hence why I can't check).

Sponsored

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
Yes Agree, I did a bit of research and ended up buying the Redline Struts. I think mine were a silver version and they look very OEM. Super clear instructions, comes with a drill attachment for the battery cover hole. Also has a very solid base plate that attaches to the inside of the bonnet. A few reviews in the US (CJ Pony Parts for example) complained that some other struts supporting plates failed. There's no way the Redline one would fail.

Cheers,
Phil

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 build GT Convertible
I have redline from CJPP. It's website notes that the non USA car has a different bonnet for crash protection and therefore there is a slightly different strut setup. No idea how true that is, however I can say the redline kit was simple to install and works well.

Myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Just one thing to note which happened to me - be careful the windscreen washer tube is clear of the strut when closing.

On one occasion mine got pinched on the strut and reduced water flow significantly. Luckily it did not put a hole in the tube.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I like Steeda's or Redlines. I have Redlines, but I took the gaudy stickers off. They work fine. I'd prefer a LITTLE smoother lift - it's like they sort of bind a little - but whatever. I'd rather them, once I get to a certain point, lift the hood the rest of the way but I have to bring it mostly to the top. Then it holds there fine. Don't want too much resistance with these paper mache hoods so it's a good thing, I guess.

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I have redline from CJPP. It's website notes that the non USA car has a different bonnet for crash protection and therefore there is a slightly different strut setup. No idea how true that is, however I can say the redline kit was simple to install and works well.
AUS and EURO cars have different brackets that allow for the hood to 'pop up' in the back in case of a pedestrian crash. US cars don't have that feature. No idea what difference it makes to the struts, but Redline struts are awesome, and their customer service is top notch.

JR

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase

FMGTV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
use to own - "2017 Mustang GT V8 Ruby Red Manual"
The cheapest I've found them in Amazon of all places
Yeh....Got my Ford Struts from Amazon too.....Best Price and shipping.
Hey, got email from Jack @ Royal and your wheel is on the way to you.....mine is on the way there still!
Sponsored