Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
V8 GT
5,800 Miles
9 months old

I was travelling along a dual carriageway around 70 mph and overtook a car, then I looked in
my mirror to pull to the nearside and there was whitish smoke coming from the back, but as I was only 3 miles from home, I slowed down and drove to my house.

I looked under the bonnet and notice oil around the left hand exhaust, which may explain the burning smell, then oil on the drive, then I noticed what looked like oil in the header/expansion tank.

I moved the car when the breakdown truck arrived and looked at the small mess under the car, this consisted of oil AND antifreeze.

Any thoughts, I immediately thought of a head gasket or perhaps the oil pump ?
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Gibbo has had first hand experience with his oil pissing all over the roads... [MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION]

(Think a there was a hole in his oil cooler or something?)

What Mods have you got by the way? If you've got a Oil seperator, maybe a line's come loose and it's pissing oil from that?

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
Yeah, maybe similar to Gibbo's, oil cooler?

It'll be a warranty fix, so apart from the inconvenience, all should get fixed ok :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Wobs

Wobs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Gibbo has had first hand experience with his oil pissing all over the roads... [MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION]

(Think a there was a hole in his oil cooler or something?)

What Mods have you got by the way? If you've got a Oil seperator, maybe a line's come loose and it's pissing oil from that?
No oil seperator, in fact no mods under the bonnet. If it was the oil cooler, had did oil get into the expansion tank ?

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
No oil seperator, in fact no mods under the bonnet. If it was the oil cooler, had did oil get into the expansion tank ?
Isn't that usually the sign of a failed head gasket?

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Head gasket I would say. Pretty catastrophic one though to link the oil galleries, coolant and combustion chambers. Did it overheat? In a car so young a faulty gasket seems most likely. It's pressurised the water system and blown out of the overflow probably, unless there's an oil/water cooler interface I don't know about. :(
Edit: looks like that TSB. At least you can have a new crate engine.

OP
OP
Wobs

Wobs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Head gasket I would say. Pretty catastrophic one though to link the oil galleries, coolant and combustion chambers. Did it overheat? In a car so young a faulty gasket seems most likely. It's pressurised the water system and blown out of the overflow probably, unless there's an oil/water cooler interface I don't know about. :(
Edit: looks like that TSB. At least you can have a new crate engine.
No overheating, I actually ran through the engine readout display in the middle of the dash and everything looked ok

Sponsored

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
No overheating, I actually ran through the engine readout display in the middle of the dash and everything looked ok
I wouldn't tell Ford there was no overheating, they can't be sure there is no internal damage. Presumably the white smoke came from the engine compartment rather than out of the exhaust? Print some copies of the TSB and insist on the replace engine bit unless they promise in writing to replace it at any point in the future, should it fail. You did well finding that (although we're all nervous now!). Good luck.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Fore safety of your car and yourself - maybe worth calling ford's premium AA protect thing, getting them to pick the car up and take it to your dealer on a flat bed.

OP
OP
Wobs

Wobs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Fore safety of your car and yourself - maybe worth calling ford's premium AA protect thing, getting them to pick the car up and take it to your dealer on a flat bed.
That's exactly what I did thanks :thumbsup:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
That's exactly what I did thanks :thumbsup:
Good man, look forward to hearing the diagnosis and hopefully all is well. :thumbsup:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Wobs

IT IS THE OIL COOLER!

The oil cooler on our cars uses coolant to cool it, so when a hole gets in it unfortunately oil contaminates the coolant system hence it is easy to think HG failure.

Turn the steering right hand down, go to passenger side and look where the oil filter is and just behing that is what looks like a metal container with two metal pipes coming from it, this is the oil cooler, if that area is saturated in oil it has failed and what happens is the oill runs down the subframe and then drops on the cats which causes smoke and burning smell.

OIL COOLER!

Correct replacement is:
- Oil cooler
- Gasket
- Oil/Filter change
- Coolant system flush, may take a few attempts with coolant tank fully cleaned or replaced and new coolant added.

I know of at least 2 other UK cars that had this issue, make sure you take it to a good Ford dealer, otherwise it could be a nightmare on the fix.
Sponsored