Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
better is very subjective. from a stock stand point sure. but I really believe the current 5.0 is going to be the better boost car and will make more power safely the pi and di engine. I'm sure it will be a great car but the current 5.0 is fords bread and butter

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
The 2018 will be very boost friendly, just like the Voodoo.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I can see people getting a supercharger so they can get rid of the engine cover . They then will have a nicer looking engine and get better performance. Too bad the landfills will become cluttered with engine covers.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
better is very subjective. from a stock stand point sure. but I really believe the current 5.0 is going to be the better boost car and will make more power safely the pi and di engine. I'm sure it will be a great car but the current 5.0 is fords bread and butter
The 2018 is better in every metric.
Nobody cares that you think the old motor is more "tunable". There is no basis for such statements. fud!

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The 2018 is better in every metric.
Nobody cares that you think the old motor is more "tunable". There is no basis for such statements. fud!
You need a lesson on compression ratio then. Built engines for boost typically use lower compression pistons hence why the 15-17 model does so well with boost.

I'm not saying the 2018 won't​ do well with boost, but not as well in stock form when comparing the two. Modding the 2018 pistons though is a diff story.

Dsquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP LB
Its funny how couple weeks ago everyone was bashing the front end of the car and ever since that engine cover picture released, everyone hopped on the hate train and started bashing the engine cover :shrug:

I guess we need something new to keep hating MY18. lol
Funny how you drive a Saab, have 19 posts, and think your opinion matters here. Get back to us once you buy that 'stang..if you even do.

Guys that don't even own Mustangs, dismissing and dissing on current Mustang owners opinions..:crazy:

Last edited:

Zeke.Malvo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach1
You need a lesson on compression ratio then. Built engines for boost typically use lower compression pistons hence why the 15-17 model does so well with boost.

I'm not saying the 2018 won't​ do well with boost, but not as well in stock form when comparing the two. Modding the 2018 pistons though is a diff story.
That is a generality that is impossible to prove given the information that is available. If you want to make yourself feel better about your purchase, I get it I guess, but it really is silly to use it as a selling point when you have zero facts about the new engines.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
If the car is a second or more quicker than the current Mustang on track and drag I would call it a significant change. If it's only a few tenths of a second faster I would say, it's a great upgrade for someone who doesn't own a Mustang or someone looking to upgrade from anything 14 and back but I could never see a reason to jump from a Gen6 V1 to a V2 for such small changes.

Last edited:

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I seem to recall people saying back in 2010 how the Gen1 Coyote wouldn't be good with boost due to its "very high" compression ratio...

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I seem to recall people saying back in 2010 how the Gen1 Coyote wouldn't be good with boost due to its "very high" compression ratio...
People are just grabbing at reasons to pyschologically convince themselves that they don't like the 18.

Rohammers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP
I'm stoked for the 18. You can get the new 10 speed with PP, MagneRide, active exhaust, digital instrument cluster & a redesigned Coyote with the new HP+TQ.. that is definitely a significant change for a mid cycle refresh. I will be upgrading to a GT with all those juicy options for sure! :headbang:

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
I'm stoked for the 18. You can get the new 10 speed with PP, MagneRide, active exhaust, digital instrument cluster & a redesigned Coyote with the new HP+TQ.. that is definitely a significant change for a mid cycle refresh. I will be upgrading to a GT with all those juicy options for sure! :headbang:
But is that car going to be 40 grand?
Current base GT is $33,195

My guess

18 Base GT $34,095
A10 $1490
PP $3795 (among normal PP parts, also includes Manga and act exh)
Dig dash $495 (might be part or premium only, which would suck)

Thats $39,875 and thats not even a premium yet.

I don't want dig dash, so say $39,380.
Say you get invoice or $37, 180

I can get 17 base auto GT for $28,700.
So is A10, mild HP bump, and magna worth $8500?
(knock off 3 grand to buy what comes in PP normally)

So say $5500 extra for 18.

The only thing to me that could be better on 18
that I might really want (and could not duplicate)
is body structure stiffness and substantially better
handling due to that.
Sponsored