Swapped from Lund to Palm Beach Dyno

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I understand where you're coming from Travis and I've never had a problem with you. But as I said in a previous post it seems like I was bugging Jon the way he'd respond to dataloging or other issues.
I'm aware they wanted a fee for the retune for the larger injectors. He wanted $150 for the retune. I weighed my options and from the opinions of a bunch of others on this forum I decided to just take the plunge and give Ken a shot. I know he used to work with Lund, I don't know or really care for the terms he left on but he did. I wish he'd have a presence on this forum so he can speak his mind as well, i'm not too savvy on most of the ins and outs of tuning, but [MENTION=9610]jayman33[/MENTION] can speak for him im sure and so can a bunch of other satisfied customers. I've ran both "finished" tunes on my cars and again just from a driveability standpoint the Palm Beach tune is much more linear and easier to drive and the MPG rose substantially. As for the power difference? I'll never know because I never hit the track on the Lund tune.
I understand.. I'm not upset with you at all man. You have to realize that those guys tune a lot of vehicles, and sometimes they're short in their replies. It's not to be ugly.. just "to the point" and quick.

Since they tuned your car, a lot has been refined. The early tunes were still a little rough. Not "bad".. but just "could be better". And honestly, if you would have gone back with them, you would have had the newer calibration which has much smoother transition from vac to boost. Drives much better, and makes good power.

I'm happy if you're happy with the car. That's all that matters. ;)
Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
OP, good to hear some neutral feedback on your tune experiences.

Drivability is everything, it all about how the car FEELS. I don't care about extracting max power figures for a street car, I care about how the car behaves both at cruising, and transitioning into WOT.
Its no fun having a car that is basically an ON/OFF switch when it comes to power delivery.

Shame he only works with the SCT programmer, the N-Gauge is a great device.

OP
OP
Obsol3te

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Who said I was talking about Ken? We've lost a few engines. And if every tuner out there is being honest, I think they've all done the same. There's a reason that we cap ignition timing at a certain spot. Risk versus reward isn't worth it when you're playing with a customer's very expensive engine.

I have no problem with Ken. I know that he is a talented tuner. I emailed him tonight to try and come to some resolution with this stuff. What I DO have a problem with is when it turns into a Lund versus PBD debate where Lund gets accused of being a sub-standard tuner. I know it's not Ken doing it directly.

The personal stuff between Lund and Ken is just that.. Personal. I don't like to air things out, and I don't like these petty arguments. But stuff like this forces my hand, because I will back up Lund Racing any day of the week. They've done too much for a lot of folks.
Well I didn't foresee a huge argument when I started the post. I was just stating my opinion on the matter with what I personally experienced. The car drives fucking great right now and I wanted to make people aware that PBD is a great option.

I understand.. I'm not upset with you at all man. You have to realize that those guys tune a lot of vehicles, and sometimes they're short in their replies. It's not to be ugly.. just "to the point" and quick.

Since they tuned your car, a lot has been refined. The early tunes were still a little rough. Not "bad".. but just "could be better". And honestly, if you would have gone back with them, you would have had the newer calibration which has much smoother transition from vac to boost. Drives much better, and makes good power.

I'm happy if you're happy with the car. That's all that matters. ;)
Well customer service is kind of big with me, one of the reasons why I went with you with my kit. You were the only person no bad mouthing the competition so in turn you came off as more honest. I couldn't possibly know they had refined their tuning if they don't tell the consumer either.
But I am happy with the car of course. I've been enjoying my KB car for the better part of the year. Now she just drives a bit better :)
My only gripe ever was that i'm not running enough boost to have blower whine. Maybe someday e85 will come into my area and I'll have a built motor and I can crank the boost:headbang:

NavyChief122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
:popcorn:

Bahahahaha priceless this thread as become

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
its not rocket science 3 degrees more timing on a boosted car should make 30-50 more rwhp..

it's all how aggressive you want to be with the tune, and also what timing the fuel in the tank at the time is letting the car see

Sponsored

OP
OP
Obsol3te

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
its not rocket science 3 degrees more timing on a boosted car should make 30-50 more rwhp..

it's all how aggressive you want to be with the tune, and also what timing the fuel in the tank at the time is letting the car see
I know more timing is going to make more power.
But it wasnt just the extra power i was raving about, the shockingly better MPG and how much smoother it drives in partial throttle to WOT
it's no longer like an On/Off switch

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Well I didn't foresee a huge argument when I started the post. I was just stating my opinion on the matter with what I personally experienced. The car drives fucking great right now and I wanted to make people aware that PBD is a great option.

Well customer service is kind of big with me, one of the reasons why I went with you with my kit. You were the only person no bad mouthing the competition so in turn you came off as more honest. I couldn't possibly know they had refined their tuning if they don't tell the consumer either.
But I am happy with the car of course. I've been enjoying my KB car for the better part of the year. Now she just drives a bit better :)
My only gripe ever was that i'm not running enough boost to have blower whine. Maybe someday e85 will come into my area and I'll have a built motor and I can crank the boost:headbang:
I hear you.. And like I said, I enjoyed working with you. I don't like arguments either. I just hate losing a customer, or feeling like there may have been something I could have done to make a customer's experience better. I saw you sent some logs, but then you went to Lund directly shortly after, so I didn't follow up. I guess I should have been more diligent.

I know the "on/off" thing you're talking about, which has been fixed through the last year or so of tuning and making tweaks. Lund spent a lot of time getting it perfect. At any rate, I'm glad you are happy with the car. That's what matters most. If there's anything I can do for you, please let me know.

Thanks!

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Drivability is everything, it all about how the car FEELS. I don't care about extracting max power figures for a street car, I care about how the car behaves both at cruising, and transitioning into WOT.
Its no fun having a car that is basically an ON/OFF switch when it comes to power delivery.

Shame he only works with the SCT programmer, the N-Gauge is a great device.
I agree, and I'm very picky about it. It's something that has been worked on and fixed with Lund's tunes. Keep in mind that the OP's car was tuned nearly a year ago. Many advancements have been made since then. It's just the nature of the beast. You get the car to where it's driving well, and making decent power.. but you spend another year fine tuning and tweaking the "little things".

The nGauge is a great device, and I'm glad that Lund spent the money and time together with E-Motion to develop it together. It has made our lives so much easier and given our customers a much more refined user interface. :)

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
My only gripe ever was that i'm not running enough boost to have blower whine.
im only at 12psi and i get whine. and it whines LOUD.

[ame]

Sponsored

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

That's because you're running the 2.8L versus the 3.2L. So, yours is turned up a bit higher in RPM. You essentially have what would now be considered the 950hp package in terms of hardware, with the exception of the bigger injectors, higher boost levels, and fuel (octane) to make more power.

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
That's because you're running the 2.8L versus the 3.2L. So, yours is turned up a bit higher in RPM. You essentially have what would now be considered the 950hp package in terms of hardware, with the exception of the bigger injectors, higher boost levels, and fuel (octane) to make more power.
:thumbsup: got it!

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple

That sounds is an awsome video:thumbsup: love the Whine.
I've done some modification and testing on on my setup although it's a whipple it's twin screw and creates the whine as twins screws do. I've found that open air box style let's more of the whine out and of course KB's are basically open but in the fender well so lots of the rotor pulses (whine ) are unbaffled. Close air box really quotes these down like in the Whipple you can't hear the whine from inside until 5k and it's faint but from the outside and front they screaming. Ive made a sound tube modification to the air box would work the same with whipple if it was run to the filter area and it's doubled the amount oh whine in the car for sure and now it whine at 3k easy.

This is not an all out screaming to redline video as I was on rough roads, but I did start the hit at 2.5k rpm
IMG_1834.jpg

Jay159866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 1966 Coupe
I'm starting to get surging/bucking in 4th gear from my Lund tune. I've thought about driving down to Ken and seeing what he could do for me but $500+ for a new tune.. I've always had great service, fast responses and weekend support from Lund. I'm gonna stick it out with some more datalogs for Lund and see if he can nip it in the butt.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
I'm starting to get surging/bucking in 4th gear from my Lund tune. I've thought about driving down to Ken and seeing what he could do for me but $500+ for a new tune.. I've always had great service, fast responses and weekend support from Lund. I'm gonna stick it out with some more datalogs for Lund and see if he can nip it in the butt.
How do you suddenly start having that?
Sponsored