SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Glad you're both OK - as you say, the safety features work !

Makes me a little nervous for the Winter. Wearing PZeros and wet / greasy roads don't fill me with confidence. May have to change the tyres soon.

Did you make that S shaped track in the field behind the car after coming through the hedge or is that just coincidence?
I've read all the posts on PZs and generally taken them under advisement, having had no major "moments" myself. However now the temperature is nudging the seven degree mark at times, at least here in the north east of Scotland, I have felt the car to be a little less planted.

EDIT: this is just a personal observation and is in no way intended as tyre advice or to spark up a debate about best rubber... ;)
Sponsored

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
However now the temperature is nudging the seven degree mark at times, at least here in the north east of Scotland, I have felt the car to be a little less planted.

Yes, I agree, nothing serious, and I've never had any issues with them but a little less planted describes it very well.

Judspony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red RRsport and a Ligtning GT Conv
Aww shit mate....:mad::(..... really glad everyone walked away but that's a sorry sight...:brokenheart:

Not that it matters, but what tyres are you running..:shrug:
I'm glad you are both okay. If it was that slippery and it clearly was I'm not sure any tyre would have made a difference. Sad to see this.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Sorry to see this Tom. Judging by the picture its a surprise you both walked away unhurt! Been said but will say again, glad you are both ok. Car will get sorted...

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Wow, glad you're okay.
How bad are the tyres?! Was there oil on the road or was it just wet?
Had some hair raising experiences in my e36 m3 when wet as did not have any traction control so had to drive like Ms Daisy and never depress the throttle by more than half in the rain.

OP
OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Hey all, sorry for my absence. Needed some time out not a honking about mustangs and the accident (was up most of last night just going over and over in my head how/why it happened, what I should have done differently, if only I did this or that etc).

The damage does look bad considering I was probably doing between 40 and 50 when I hit the hedge. Guess it looks worse due to going through a couple of small trees.

The photo is a bit misguiding. The car stopped about 3 lengths from the hedge. The tyre tracks shown is what occurred when hen we pulled the car through the field with a 4x4 to get it to a position easier for the recovery vehicle to take away.

The damage is mainly to the front but there is some on the sides and rear due to the hedge and trees wrapping around the car as we went on through.

In case any one wants to know, the tyres are MPSS however, I don't think it would have mattered what the tyres were. It was damp and when I looked closely, mud was also on the road (probably from tractor tread).

Very very gutted.

RobMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 V8 Fastback Manual
Hi Tom, just seen this as I'm away on hols. First off so good to hear you and your little man are ok. I know you're a good driver so this must be down to road surface etc. Must have been a shock to you both and really hope things get sorted smoothly for you. Hopefully you stay in the fold and we get to meet up again. A car is just a peace of metal at the end of the day, I'm sure you will bounce back from this mate. Cheers

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Really sorry to see this, glad your safe!

Muddy roads tyre will make little to no difference.

Did the car step out under power, you naturally come off power and then it snatch and thrown you off the road?

These cars have really poor handling in the wet, almost as bad as a Supra which is bad, in the dry they handle superb but in wet conditions they are a different car. The rear IRS needs a lot of work on these cars way to much slop as standard.

All that matters is your well, gonna get another or is the scare enough to push you into something more sure footed?

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
As others have said good thing you are both ok.

I'm wondering if it was the auto box. Did it change down as you overtook?

Something you wouldn't do in a manual on a wet greasy overtake.

I only ask as it appears, I maybe wrong, that a lot of surprising let goes are with automatics.

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you and your boy are unhurt Mr Wolf.

Looks like the crumple zones work well to absorbe the energy. If you had done that in a mk3 cortina you would have been impaled on the steering column, but your relatives could have driven the car home and probably passed the MOT after changing the broken headlight.
When there is mud, diesel or oil on the road the tyres make no difference once control has been lost. Perhaps this is a timely reminder that winter is coming and we all need to be more careful in potentially low grip conditions. In the countryside if you see tractors ploughing then you can bet your life they use the road to move between fields and hence there could we wet mud around the next corner. I lost my Lexus on a roundabout near a petroleum station on a wet night and ended up in a ditch. Now I am careful past garages where fuel spills from not putting the cap back on could occur.

Best place an order after Christmas when the insurance pays out for a 2018.

sunny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sunny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Black on Black
Car looks a right mess, but by the sounds of it, glad you both weren't. Probably a little shaken but not stirred...

I'm sure you're instincts must've kicked in the last couple of seconds in preventing an even worse outcome, so well done!

Anyway, material things come and go, but health is prime! Onward and upwards...

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Auto box can be a bit keen and isn't particularly gentle on kickdown, even at relatively low speeds. It could easily contribute to breaking traction in an overtaking situation.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
I'm sorry to say this, and I hope the OP takes it in the way it's meant....But in 99% of single vehicle accidents, where a car has lost control, the blame lies with the driver...

In 15 years of TVR ownership, I know of literally dozens of similar scenarios where the back end has kicked out, control lost, and the end result is usually backwards through a hedge....

Sometimes a driver can be lucky and get away with it, I'm one of those, on more than one occasion..(phew) but more often than not, inertia takes over and that's that...

Modern cars do not crash by themselves, I nearly lost control of mine at Shakespeare raceway, and yes it caught me by surprise, but when I sat back and thought about it.... traction control off, cold tyres, and absolutely flat out in what ever gear I was in......who's fault would that have been:lol::lol:, I can blame the weather, the track conditions Gibbo for making me do it:D, but at the end of the day it was 100% my own fault. And yet another reminder that I'm not Lewis Hamilton....

Sometimes shit happens, and we get it wrong, blaming tyres, mud on road, diesel or any other outside influence, is just us trying to convince ourselves it wasn't our fault...:doh::doh:

Making a mistake is human, we all do it:)

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I'm sorry to say this, and I hope the OP takes it in the way it's meant....But in 99% of single vehicle accidents, where a car has lost control, the blame lies with the driver...

In 15 years of TVR ownership, I know of literally dozens of similar scenarios where the back end has kicked out, control lost, and the end result is usually backwards through a hedge....

Sometimes a driver can be lucky and get away with it, I'm one of those, on more than one occasion..(phew) but more often than not, inertia takes over and that's that...

Modern cars do not crash by themselves, I nearly lost control of mine at Shakespeare raceway, and yes it caught me by surprise, but when I sat back and thought about it.... traction control off, cold tyres, and absolutely flat out in what ever gear I was in......who's fault would that have been:lol::lol:, I can blame the weather, the track conditions Gibbo for making me do it:D, but at the end of the day it was 100% my own fault. And yet another reminder that I'm not Lewis Hamilton....

Sometimes shit happens, and we get it wrong, blaming tyres, mud on road, diesel or any other outside influence, is just us trying to convince ourselves it wasn't our fault...:doh::doh:

Making a mistake is human, we all do it:)

All I will say buddy you were very lucky that day, from what spectators said you were close to the wall. :(

I never asked you but when it broke lose were all four wheels pointing straight? I can only suspect that one wheel must of gripped and another just span and the LSD did something strange. As you know I had big issues getting off the line, so much wheel hop but I was slamming the gears hard and chirping the tyres even on the change into 4th gear and never one did the car try to do anything other than stay straight and though the auto will be changing gear just as quick the torque converters normally smooths it out so was pretty bizarre moment you had. I tried my car in sport+ and race and always had traction fully dis-engaged so I was in full control. Maybe the auto when on paddle mode does something different, as I know most of the US guys who are pulling quick times in Auto do leave them in D I believe but a lot of them also change out the converter.

I can only suspect that in D mode the auto changes gear at the perfect time to do so in the rev range for both performance and smoothness, if you were in paddle mode maybe that was the issue. Still it shocks me how these cars can just let go in the strangest of ways at times.

I had mine a few months ago in the wet, yes it was wet, yes I was driving it pretty hard and I flew over a roundabout and did an aggressive 2-3 change at full chat, next thing I know I have opposite lock at 60+ in the wet and my god it woke me up haha, I gathered it up, my heart beating like crazy and then I was like mmmmm OK that was one big wild slide, wet mode engaged haha. Guy pulls along side me at traffic lights giving me a huge thumbs up thinking I'd done a big deliberate skid, the reality was the car surprised me, when I think back it was a surprise but I did it but the car did hold a lovely angle haha, but if I want to push on on slippery surfaces you have got to be fully awake and on it, then its not so bad it moves around a lot but is predictable, otherwise just chuck it into wet mode and respect the car.
Sponsored