Sponsored

My prediction for the engine

Pnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Ruby
It will be a said day when we have to wave goodbye to the glorious v8 sound in the GT. someday, if it is even still an option, it will be in place of todays sixxer.
Sponsored

IGJoe2192

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Automobile

B4Sunrise

Team play is essential
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Why not an Aluminum block 4v DOHC version of the 6.2L, show Chevy how a 6.2L is done!

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
Because of CAFE.
An aluminum version of the BOSS engine was shown in 7 liter DOHC form and was being tested. It was to be the engine for the 2006 Cobra, but was cancelled along with it's IRS suspension in a cost-cutting move. Even the iron block SOHC 6.2 was cancelled, although later reinstated.

Sponsored

B4Sunrise

Team play is essential
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Because of CAFE.
An aluminum version of the BOSS engine was shown in 7 liter DOHC form and was being tested. It was to be the engine for the 2006 Cobra, but was cancelled along with it's IRS suspension in a cost-cutting move. Even the iron block SOHC 6.2 was cancelled, although later reinstated.
Interesting I hadn't heard there was an Aluminum block version of that engine, I had heard there had been a 5.7 BOSS engine planned, however was scrapped. I think either would be good, while the 5.0 was a engine with History, the 351 C & W have a lot of history too, if they put a 351 in the Mach 1 it'd be an instant collectable - not that it won't be but that engine would resonate. I don't see why Ford doesn't - they know they'll sell all they can make, Chevy wishes they had that situation.

tampasnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
I just read an article about the new super duties and the 6.2 being increased to 430 horsepower. I made me think and wonder if it was the next Mach 1 engine. I can't see the 6.2 being exclusive to the super duty. The econoline is dead, the 6.2 isn't offered in the f150 anymore. Why not add it to a niche mustang?
Would it fit in th s550?

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Next reason: the F-150 pays the bills for the V-8 5.0, and since the F-150 doesn't need the BOSS engine then the Mustang won't have it available. The F-150 strategy is EcoBoost, and the upcoming second-gen 3.5EB makes class-leading torque. So the BOSS engine is dead in the F-150 and the only place it's being kept alive is as the standard engine (and only gas engine) in the new F-250/350.
All "big block" Mustangs came to an end with the cancellation by Phil Marten in 2005 of the BOSS engine, the IRS, and the planned Cobra that combined them both (the 5.4SC being the cheapest fallback possible since it was old tech).

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I think tampasnake has the right idea about the 6.2 liter block ending up in a high performance Mustang. Dodge Challenger and Camaro have 6.2 liter, why not Mustang ?

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Apparently I am skeptical of the skeptics who are skeptical of the skeptics.

Actually, in truth, a warming trend probably exists, though it's hard to be sure. You do not have a control Earth with which to measure your experiments against, and second order effects of the entire Earth defy any form of conventional measurement. I don't trust the government, nor the scientists who receive money from the government, to be honest about it. For that matter, neither do I trust the "skeptics" in the pay of oil barons.

That isn't to say they are wrong, mind you, merely that without direct involvement it's hard to be sure. Most people who take a solid stance on Climate Change, on both sides, are not educated on the matter and merely stake their position based on emotion, on what they desire to be true or which will most enrich them personally.

Sponsored

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
My prediction for a Mach 1 motor, supposing it's a thing, will be either a CPC version of the 5.2L motor, or a 5.0 with a bunch of parts cribbed from the Voodoo motor. Ford has demoed various crate motors along these lines recently, and I would not be surprised to see one in a Mach 1 trim for 2018 MY.

I figure the regular GT might see a mild power bump, and the Mach 1, supposing it is real, at a good +30HP or so up from whatever the GT is. Say, 470-ish. It'd be a nice midpoint between the GT PP and the GT350, and compete well against the 6th gen Camaro.

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I met with the product planners a few months ago and confirmed that the 5.2 heads are not usable on the 5.0 block - the engineers took advantage of the bigger bore to move the valves apart and enlarge them. So there is nothing in the heads to use. This was my first question to them.
And would the cost of adding an extra .2 liters make a significant difference? Debatable. Why not instead focus instead on making what we have more efficient: get the fuel system updated (D.I.), use an x-pipe, use the usual open element cold air, improve traction, update to the GT350 transmission (finally, one that has the right torque rating and will last). This stuff could then become the standard GT a year or two later (since the GT is so far behind the Camaro in engine). *Maybe* 460 might be possible, but getting the torque competitive is not. The Boss 302 was and is the pinnacle of the Coyote and look what had to be done for that. The engineers themselves said it was at it's maximum so the only thing left there is D.I. (or dual D.I. and port).
Forget about any "big block" or major engineering expenses. And anything that will dig into the GT350 space. And don't count on too many changes: the cost has to be mid-point between a GT (36,635 in '16) and the GT350 (55,595 in '17). That doesn't leave a huge budget for changes: mild updates, loaded options, and some suspension tuning.

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I met with the product planners a few months ago and confirmed that the 5.2 heads are not usable on the 5.0 block - the engineers took advantage of the bigger bore to move the valves apart and enlarge them. So there is nothing in the heads to use. This was my first question to them.
And would the cost of adding an extra .2 liters make a significant difference? Debatable. Why not instead focus instead on making what we have more efficient: get the fuel system updated (D.I.), use an x-pipe, use the usual open element cold air, improve traction, update to the GT350 transmission (finally, one that has the right torque rating and will last). This stuff could then become the standard GT a year or two later (since the GT is so far behind the Camaro in engine). *Maybe* 460 might be possible, but getting the torque competitive is not. The Boss 302 was and is the pinnacle of the Coyote and look what had to be done for that. The engineers themselves said it was at it's maximum so the only thing left there is D.I. (or dual D.I. and port).
Forget about any "big block" or major engineering expenses. And anything that will dig into the GT350 space. And don't count on too many changes: the cost has to be mid-point between a GT (36,635 in '16) and the GT350 (55,595 in '17). That doesn't leave a huge budget for changes: mild updates, loaded options, and some suspension tuning.
No no, the intake manifold and throttle body for the GT350 are basically bolt ons for the Coyote, and they give you a nice power bump. Lots of folks have been doing it in this forum. Ford could do similar for 2018.

Also, check this out: http://www.enginelabs.com/features/...rd-racings-new-5-2-coyote-crate-engine-a52xs/

mbeale68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, base, perf pack, recaros, 5spd, guard
Ford Racing is already offering GT350 heads for use on the 5.0, so the heads will work on the 5.0 block.
http://www.enginelabs.com/features/...rd-racings-new-5-2-coyote-crate-engine-a52xs/
That said, there is supposed to be some shrouding of the valves, which is not optimal for performance . While it is clearly possible to build such an engine, its possible that it might not be easy to meet emissions and fuel economy regulations.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Considering the kind of power that can be made with a GT350 manifold and tune on the 5.0, I wouldn't be surprised if something along those lines happened -- maybe with a shaker hood. It would be super cool to see a twin-scroll turbo on a 4.7 (289) though...
Sponsored