MT82 15 GT - Paxton or Whipple

alrodri8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm looking at some forced induction options and was leaning towards a Whipple 2.9 or a Paxton 2200 in my MT82 performance pack GT(3.73 gear). Considering being able to pulley down and stay on 93 with a boost-a-pump. Which one of these combos would be best or easier in achieving a 10 sec time in the quarter mile? Which one of these would net a higher trap speed? Which has more room to grow later on? Car is also my daily.
Sponsored

zaquhree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT
First you need to get rid of the 3.73 gears in favor of 3.31 gears for which ever power adder you want

Second you need to figure out what type of power you want. Personally I feel the Centri is the best option for the new motor. They make great torque and apply the power in a linear fashion which helps putting it to the pavement.

You have a few thousand you need to spend on drive-line upgrades first.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The 3.73's will be fine for daily driving as long as you aren't trying to launch it in first gear every day.

Only drivetrain mods you really need to consider is half-shafts and possibly a driveshaft.

stealthfrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 raptor, 99 corvette, 2015 PP mustang gt
ive owned both types. they both have pros and cons and in the end its up to you what you want.
IMO i feel the whipple is more of a daily driver/fun weekend setup that fits like a stock setup and can be brought to the track and have fun and to me the centri is more for someone that plans on going to the track more and imo they have more potential at the track.
at this time thats my view on it, i haven't tried to push the whipple setup yet and just got it done so this view could change.

also i just finished my install on a PP car with 3.73's and the whipple. while it is fun and does hook with no issues i feel the 3.31's will be much better suited for the setup. i find myself always shifting and another big factor is with the mt-82 is having to power shift 5th gear at the track or even having fun in mexico... they just cant take it, with 3.31s it will allow you to go thru the traps in 4th which helps a ton.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
I swapped my 3.73 gears for 3.31 gears; huge difference. I have a whipple but I also like the paxton setup. The paxton will cost a lot less. It just depends on the type of tuning that you want. Whipple's calibration allows for the most flexibility. You can swap pulleys and fuel without having multiple tunes. Or, you can give Ken Bjonnes a call and he can get you dialed in.

Sponsored

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Oxford White
Really can't go wrong here on either choice. Both are very nice set ups. I do love the look of the black Paxton set up... but that's all I got lol I have no personal experience with it. The centri is a more "build up power" unit, similar to a turbo. The Whipple is more of instant power. They both have their benefits, and neither one is "better" than the other. I personally have the 373 gears and love them with my Whipple. But mine is just a daily driver. If you're going to be hitting the track with the car, I'd def go with some 331's.

zaquhree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT
The 3.73's will be fine for daily driving as long as you aren't trying to launch it in first gear every day.

Only drivetrain mods you really need to consider is half-shafts and possibly a driveshaft.

more like:
half shafts $1000-1500
clutch $1000-1500
or else you'll toast the MT82 early and stock M6 cars snap halfshafts.

now if all you do is roll race and shift below 7k the car should be fine

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Question that goes along with this... What is the typical lifespan of the stock clutch with FI? Assuming you are not launching hard and goin crazy with it. I know the need for a good clutch is there, I am just curious to hear from people with stock clutches in, and how long they are lasting? I plan to upgrade for sure, but was hoping to get like a year out of the stock one, which equals to about 4,000 miles for me.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
Question that goes along with this... What is the typical lifespan of the stock clutch with FI? Assuming you are not launching hard and goin crazy with it. I know the need for a good clutch is there, I am just curious to hear from people with stock clutches in, and how long they are lasting? I plan to upgrade for sure, but was hoping to get like a year out of the stock one, which equals to about 4,000 miles for me.
I was on the stock clutch for 3000 miles with no issues at all. I launched and beat on my car a lot during that time and the stock clutch never slipped. I only changed it out because I knew that it was just a matter of time before died. I swapped it for a Mcleod RXT. If I hadn't done the install, I wouldn't even know that I had a aftermarket clutch.

Supporting mods that I would recommend with our FI.

Mcleod RXT with Mcleod flywheel
DSS 1400s or Ford Racing half shafts
BMR CB005
Better tires lol

If you would like to check out my car just let me know. I live in Wesley Chapel near Wire Grass mall.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
any s/c is fun on these cars

obviously at under 6k , with better injectors, and tons of growing potential, i think it's hard to beat our paxton setup!

:)

Sponsored

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
I was on the stock clutch for 3000 miles with no issues at all. I launched and beat on my car a lot during that time and the stock clutch never slipped. I only changed it out because I knew that it was just a matter of time before died. I swapped it for a Mcleod RXT. If I hadn't done the install, I wouldn't even know that I had a aftermarket clutch.

Supporting mods that I would recommend with our FI.

Mcleod RXT with Mcleod flywheel
DSS 1400s or Ford Racing half shafts
BMR CB005
Better tires lol

If you would like to check out my car just let me know. I live in Wesley Chapel near Wire Grass mall.
Thank you for the input on the clutch :cheers:

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
Thank you for the input on the clutch :cheers:
NP, the stock clutch really did surprise me. I beat on my car really bad with the stock clutch; broke the torsen diff and bent a ford racing half shaft. But, it is just a matter of time before the stock clutch dies. I got my RXT and flywheel from Terry at Beefcake. Terry gave me an amazing deal!!!

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
or else you'll toast the MT82 early and stock M6 cars snap halfshafts.

now if all you do is roll race and shift below 7k the car should be fine
Sure, that has happened however I have a number of mods done to my car and haven't snapped any half-shafts. It's all in how you treat your car, if you abuse it, things break. Having gobs of torque does not break parts...incorrectly applying that torque does.

OP
OP
alrodri8

alrodri8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I am going to be grabbing half-shafts sometime in the next few weeks after upgrading my OPGs and Timing gear. I also currently have NT05Rs, just not launching the car hard due to stock half-shafts currently. And was preparing for a Paxton or Whipple, I definitely appreciate the suggestions. Just trying to get a feel for a decision before making the decision to spend big bucks on something.

zaquhree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT
Sure, that has happened however I have a number of mods done to my car and haven't snapped any half-shafts. It's all in how you treat your car, if you abuse it, things break. Having gobs of torque does not break parts...incorrectly applying that torque does.
I went for a ride in a guys car the other day who just leaves it in d and randomly floors it making the car HARSHLY downshift and take off...he will be a stastic soon enough :frusty:
Sponsored