Sponsored

Ecoboost PP or GT Base

mada808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You married the wrong woman. My wife is trying to convince me to SUPERCHARGE my new Mustang. :thumbsup:
You need convincing? Weird. I was just kidding anyway. :cheers:
Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
You need convincing? Weird. I was just kidding anyway. :cheers:
Who said anything about convincing? You're grasping at straws there buddy; it was all in jest. :cheers:

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
lol @ thinking chicks give two fucks about engine size. Unless their obese redneck chicks, girls could care less as long as the car looks pretty.

The only people who will care are other dudes; most of which don't drive v8s or drive a slower v8 than EB

Not true at all! Shit, I'm a chick and I drive a V8! I'm also not an obese red neck!

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

GordonGekko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Eco Premium
lol @ thinking chicks give two fucks about engine size. Unless their obese redneck chicks, girls could care less as long as the car looks pretty.

The only people who will care are other dudes; most of which don't drive v8s or drive a slower v8 than EB
The girls with feminine screen names drive V8's. The girls with ambiguous screen names drive ecoboosts and V6's.

VeloLisa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lisa
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Race Red

Sheesh. :frusty::doh::crazy: :thumbdown:

I'm a woman and I drive a manual GT. And I am most assuredly not obese nor am I a redneck. I test drove both the GT PP Premium and the EB PP Premium. (Both manuals) I actually found the EB to be better handling and easier to drive and it had plenty of power. But I just couldn't get past the sound of the exhaust. Maybe if I hadn't driven the GT first it wouldn't have bothered me. But once I drove the GT I was spoiled for anything else! Maybe the EB would have been the more sensible choice, but once I heard the siren song of the Coyote I was hooked. I thought I wouldn't be able to afford the GT Premium, so I decided to get a GT base model rather than the EB with all the bells and whistles. Luckily, the dealership was able to find my Race Red GT Premium at a price I can afford. I'm a happy girl. :)

Now to make that siren song a bit louder... :D:headbang:

Last edited:

Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Don't mind CommyO, he seems to know exactly what to say to pee in most people's cornflakes.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
I could've bought a GT and still choose the EB. Turns out, it's really down to the person forking out the cash.

PS: you can still take the EB to the track. Here's me beating a Scat Pack with a... V8 :)
Nice work [MENTION=9965]neodark[/MENTION]! lol

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
I could've bought a GT and still choose the EB. Turns out, it's really down to the person forking out the cash.

PS: you can still take the EB to the track. Here's me beating a Scat Pack with a... V8 :)

For me it's not about "taking it to the track" I don't care if the 2.3 was twice as powerful as the Coyote, it will never sound like a 5.0 and to me that is a huge part of the experience..

All in all, the 2.3 is a good motor, very torquey but I hate how it feels on the top end, the fuel economy is no where near what everyone alleged it would be, I absolutely hate it when it goes into limp mode/I hate the loss of power when it's hot, and I definitely regret not waiting and ordering a manual PP.. I'm really starting to dislike the auto tranny, it feels very sluggish at times but mostly it's boring as hell. Coming from a 100hp fwd econobox, and a 250hp 4600lbs SUV prior to that econobox, this thing felt like a rocket ship at first.. but the charm has worn off a bit and I'm now regretting my decision Lol.

We'll see what happens with that Stage 2 Vargas kit however.. if their claims and prices turn out to be true, well that might just change my view on things again.. :headbonk:

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
For me it's not about "taking it to the track" I don't care if the 2.3 was twice as powerful as the Coyote, it will never sound like a 5.0 and to me that is a huge part of the experience..

All in all, the 2.3 is a good motor, very torquey but I hate how it feels on the top end, the fuel economy is no where near what everyone alleged it would be, I absolutely hate it when it goes into limp mode/I hate the loss of power when it's hot, and I definitely regret not waiting and ordering a manual PP.. I'm really starting to dislike the auto tranny, it feels very sluggish at times but mostly it's boring as hell. Coming from a 100hp fwd econobox, and a 250hp 4600lbs SUV prior to that econobox, this thing felt like a rocket ship at first.. but the charm has worn off a bit and I'm now regretting my decision Lol.

We'll see what happens with that Stage 2 Vargas kit however.. if their claims and prices turn out to be true, well that might just change my view on things again.. :headbonk:
No offense, but it just sounds like you bought the wrong car then.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No offense, but it just sounds like you bought the wrong car then.
Well yes... that's pretty much exactly what I've been saying, I don't ever recall alluding to anything to the contrary?

If the insurance for a GT wasn't literally double what I'm paying for my EB, it would not be a question whatsoever of which car I would choose.. Really, that was my only deciding factor.

I just royally messed things up even worse by not being patient and at least getting a manual, and for what I paid for this auto tranny and upgraded 19'' wheels I could of gotten the performance pack instead and walked away more or less even.

Sponsored

MATT1971

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PREM PP
In many ways, I feel the same way towards my EB Premium as AR306. The handling is the only part of the car, in my opinion, that is superior to the GT (both in stock form). I have driven my car for seven months and I can't "shake" the feeling of not really being "in love" with the car entirely. The motor, as AR306 said, has enough torque and horsepower (even in stock form, in my opinion) to make stoplight-to-stoplight driving enjoyable and also to provide enough power to enjoy spirited driving on interstates/freeways/backroads. There is something, however, that just doesn't "do it" for me. To be honest, I have no issues with the automatic transmission and I knew the exhaust note, no matter what after market system was installed, would always sound "raspy" and inferior to the 5.0's V-8.

I have, for all intents and purposes, given up any realistic hope of truly "enjoying" driving this car; I am also not going to invest any money into modifications either. I am going to drive it and use it as a "tool" to get from "Point A to Point B" until the value of the car versus the depriciation of the car is at a point in which I can trade for another car without losing 7K. My hope is that by the time the 2018's are released, that point will be reached. I will also be aided by the fact the car will be in storage (and not driven) for most of next year, while I am deployed.

The EB is just not what I, or many from reading and learning how many have traded it in for a GT or another car, expected. Ford cut corners with the too small and inferior intercooler and by "sand bagging" the output of the engine from the factory. And it could be argued, Ford could have also done a better job with the sound of the exhaust note, equipping the car with a bigger factory turbo (it is too small in my opinion) and increasing the flow of the restrictive factory downpipe. All in all, in my opinion, Ford "cut corners" and produced a car that is "under-whelming" from the factory in stock form. I do hope for the 2018 model year Ford corrects these issues with the 2.3L EB engine or perhaps they will introduce the 2.7L V6 EB. Either way, if the 2018 Mustang model year offers an automatic equipped GT with the Performance Package, my "experiment" with the ecoboost engine is over.

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
Having come from two previous v6 mustangs, one modded to death, and one mostly stock making the same power. I can say now that I have a GT I will not go back unless I have to. As far as handling my new base GT with ONLY the ford performance strut tower and k member brace handles about as well as my previous 2012 v6 with better weight distribution. Almost as well as my full suspension 2003 v6 with supercharger.

Once I get this steeda irs subframe, g brace, and Frp handling kit on I dare to imagine what it will be capable of.

Seriously if you own a base GT and don't have it yet get the strut tower brace with the k brace. It's only like 180 and easy to install yourself.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have driven my car for seven months and I can't "shake" the feeling of not really being "in love" with the car entirely.

There is something, however, that just doesn't "do it" for me.
This is pretty much how I feel exactly.

I love Mustangs, I love the S550.. hell I love turbo cars like Evo's, STi's, SRT 4's etc.. But this car, even tho it's quick and gorgeous, doesn't quite suit me.. and I can't shake the worry I have over the reliability of the engine.. having the damn thing go into limp mode on me several times over just nailing it is very disconcerting.

andrew.k

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Fastback, Magnetic, 051A, MT, 3.55
This is pretty much how I feel exactly.

I love Mustangs, I love the S550.. hell I love turbo cars like Evo's, STi's, SRT 4's etc.. But this car, even tho it's quick and gorgeous, doesn't quite suit me.. and I can't shake the worry I have over the reliability of the engine.. having the damn thing go into limp mode on me several times over just nailing it is very disconcerting.
This was one of the many reasons I chose the V6 over the EB. High HP, low displacement, DI, LSPI, limp mode, boost problems (reminded me too much of my Audi A4 2.0T) and of course the way it sounded when I drove it just didn't sit well with me.

Both the V6 and the EB where very closely priced. Base EB vs 051A V6, so I decided on the six and haven't looked back.

Go with the GT Base, and upgrade susp when you come accross some more funds in the future.

thxultra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost, 2016 Mercedes C300
Love my ecoboost but if I was given this option I would take the GT base also. That 5.0 has so much potential it would be a no brainier. One thing I like about the ecoboost though is the lower insurance :) I have to admit though next time I will get the V8.
Sponsored