Sponsored

Your dealership DOES have allocation for your sold order *(Not Shelby)

Zach@Granger

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Mustang
I think there is a little bit of a misnomer about dealership allocation with Mustang orders that would be beneficial to address.

For those who aren't familiar. A dealerships allocation is the number of vehicles that the dealership has agreed to order and Ford has agreed to produce for said dealeship. This agreement typically comes on a montly basis during what Ford terms a "wholesale" period. Based on previous dealership sales, overall sales turn, and ability to produce vehicles Ford will generate a proposed allocation for the dealership. The dealer then has a few days to review the items and they commit to ordering that amount of vehicles. So I could order 100 Shelby GT500s and receive none if I don't have the allocation available from Ford.

Now on most Ford vehicle lines you have to receive allocation to have a vehicle scheduled. For instance if I have a customer who wants to order a F-150 and I have 0 allocation for the month, that vehicle will not get scheduled until the next allocation I have available. Typically the next month Ford will alot an allocation for a sold order if the dealership doesn't generate an allocation "naturally" by its formula.

This thought process does not apply for Mustangs and here is why. Ford updated their ordering system to a system called OTD and without boring you with the details, it treats Retail/Sold orders differently than any other order. So now the allocation system applies to stock orders, but will not apply to retail orders getting scheduled. As seen below, I generated allocation for this wholesale period for 1 Mustang for the entire wholesale month, I have 2 retail Mustang orders scheduled within a weeks period.

WBDO-Allocation.JPG

The Bronco Sport, Edge, Escape, Mustang and Mustang Mach-E are all in Ford's OTD program.

So if want to order a "high demand" model like a Bronco Sport Badlands, or a Mach 1 Mustang, the limiting factor will not be the dealership's allocation, rather the commodities that are avaiable for the build (i.e. Manual, Leather trim, Etc.)

That is not to say a large dealership won't have more pull at times or be able to help get things through more quickly in some circumstances. But as a general rule, if you are placing a retail order for a Mustang, shop around and don't be scared that a dealership will be able to get your vehicle for you in a timely manner.

Exclude any Shelby product from this conversation as the Shelby is manually scheduled and will only go to dealers with allocation available and those are typically given out on an annual basis.
Sponsored