Sponsored

Whipple 2.9 FF Noise/Belt/Pulley/Bearing Issue? Vid Inside

ALLKHEINZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
This is a car im thinking of making a deal on, it belongs to one of my best freinds, the blower setup has under 3000 miles on it and was recently tuned at Livernois Motorsport in Michigan....it kinda started making this noise after he got it back but i had never heard it before....he asked me to come listen to it thinking he had an engine problem but im sure its an issue somewhere in the blower setup....here is a quick video of it, the kicker is the first video is the cold start where it sounds pretty bad and the second video is after it has warmed up to operating temperature and is almost gone....

Sponsored

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
whipple chirp - search the forums for it. Almost all of us have it

You'll either learn to live with it or it'll drive you crazy. Should go away after a few minutes

I'd be more concerned about the fact that Livernois tuned that thing then some belt noise.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
whipple chirp - search the forums for it. Almost all of us have it

You'll either learn to live with it or it'll drive you crazy. Should go away after a few minutes

I'd be more concerned about the fact that Livernois tuned that thing then some belt noise.
Agreed

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
I can tell you we have a lot of success with whipple's on these including our own shop car which is an 18 coyote and even our 16 scat pack. If there is any issue with your car and you want us to look at it just let us know we will have no issue looking at your vehicle. My name is Jake feel free to even call me at 313-561-5500. Thanks

OP
OP

ALLKHEINZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
its not my car, its my best friends that i think im going to buy, im not worried about the tune i heard the car i was the one making the video and its smooth as butter engine wise...when i get it i will look into verifying the tune is a good and safe one if not ill have it retuned....yes ive seen the other threads but rather then chime in on a late page i rather have my own thread where the video is the first post and follks can chime in.....

Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
Yes we know of this forum post and we reached out to customer to bring it back for us to fix. Even though we did not have it complete customer asked if he could take back for the weekend for a show and we advised against it since we knew car was not complete. We never saw car again as he took it somewhere else to have it completed and he is in my local Facebook group and he did let us know car is running great now. So I am glad his issue was fixed whether he let us do it or someone else. But this was the only issue we ran into on all our whipple installs on the coyote mustangs.

OP
OP

ALLKHEINZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
This car wasnt done by Livernois it was just brought there a few months ago for a tune.....lets stay on the topic of getting the fix for the issue i posted in the video....if anyone knows what it is and had the same issue what was the fix?

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
It sounded like a belt noise to me in the video. We have tried different brands of belts also different direction. Whipple has even tried rerouting but the only thing we have seen fix it 100% of the time is upgrading to a 10 rib system. But that is pretty pricey for just to take care of a noise.

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Sounds similar to mine. Been chasing belt squeal since I put the Whipple on. I would just try replacing the belt and see if it goes away. A brand new belt shouldn't squeak immediately and should help you troubleshoot.

Sponsored

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
Sounds like my Whipple chirp. I had it on my gen 2 and on my gen 3 head unit. Mine goes away when warmed up so i stopped caring about it.

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
I'm hesitant to say that I've never had that belt chirp on my gen 2 whipple. Now it'll probably start tomorrow. I think some people have had luck trying to re-align the pulleys by some procedure involving loosening the bolts from blower to manifold, and along the pulley plate and re-tightening in some order. There's a thread on it somewhere.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
This was an issue 2 years ago that Whipple solved with new tensioner stands and pulleys. They also had a new more detailed alignment process that would eliminate a lot of install variance. I had the chirp issue and got the new kit followed the procedure and have never heard it since.

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Yea I had some chirp on my Whipple kit a couple years ago but they released a new style billet tensioner and new stands for the idler plate. Those items along with tightening the blower down correctly fixed the chirp. I also replaced my factory water pump pulley with the billet pulley from MMR because it looked like my stock pulley had some wobble to it. Haven't heard a squeak since...

This was an issue 2 years ago that Whipple solved with new tensioner stands and pulleys. They also had a new more detailed alignment process that would eliminate a lot of install variance. I had the chirp issue and got the new kit followed the procedure and have never heard it since.
Makes me wonder why someone with a Gen 3 unit would have the squeak. The issues were resolved before the Gen 3 came out.

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
I have no idea why I have the squeak still. I have the idler plate with new style stands, the updated billet tensioner and have tried both different belt routings and like I said it has done it on both gen 2 and gen 3 units. I also did the alignment instructions listed by Whipple. Whipple has been great to work with and provided me with new belts and tensioner at no cost. I deal with the squeal for a minute after start up and then it is fine.
Sponsored