Not open for further replies.

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Think this thread has reached an end.......
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
For Christ's sake, guys... Steeda is not going to dyno-match their Pro-Action shocks. Koni, and all the usual vendors of Koni Yellows and Oranges for our cars, will not either. If you don't like that, don't buy them. Steeda's Pro-Action shocks have improved compression control and different rebound valving vs. Konis. If you want to see the difference, first call up Koni and ask them if they'll give you a dyno plot. They won't. Steeda considered Bilstein, Hitachi, and Koni for the Pro-Action solution. They ended up with Koni because it would be the most optimal, quality solution for the target market. Simple as that. Individual dyno plotting of shocks is not built into the price. Have you, PatrickGT, spoken to SteedaTech/Mike D yet at Steeda? Doubtful. For all I know, they may be willing to match a pair for you if you ask. You can't get a date with a hot girl without asking, can you? Not going to guarantee they will, but... be honest with yourself, these are entry-level dampers. If you want matched and dyno'd dampers for your car, then you need to pay for that. Call up Motion Control or Penske or JRI. Or buy Bilsteins if you think they're better. I had Bilsteins on my Subaru - loved them. They won't match them either.

The vast, vast majority of people who are considering these cannot and will not notice a difference with an unmatched pair of any damper. One would need to be intimately familiar with a road course and be advanced, connected, or wealthy enough to run that road course numerous times at different settings. Of course there are better dampers than Koni but the price goes up, and goes up quick. You can run the numbers all day long, we all need develop as drivers before we start caring about matched dampers.

This discussion, as recently exposed, seems to revolve around a service that DG provides, which is nice of him to do. For a set of $700 dampers especially, I'd hope DG charges extra for retaining inventory of oddballs, the use of the shock dyno, and the time it takes to match them. If not, he's either making a lot of money elsewhere or isn't making much money at all (per hour). Or he's just a super nice guy. Sounds like DG is a great person to buy Koni shocks from. So... why not do so? No need to effectively berate Steeda over it.

This is ridiculous, guys... Steeda is not matching their Pro-Action shocks. What flippin' vendor, at this price point, does? If they do, buy from them, then. Moving on.

DG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo
This discussion, as recently exposed, seems to revolve around a service that DG provides,
Nope. Provided - past tense - at one point.

I went back to the Army to go to Afghanistan and stuck around. I don't do suspension development any more. I provide advice and a degree of training when asked nicely, and I continue to maintain A2W as a public service, but I no longer do suspension design & tuning as my day job - or even as a side job.

3 people have already hit me up because of this thread, and I turned them all down.

I STRONGLY recommend you dyno any shocks you buy, no matter what the source - but I won't be on the dyno.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
And by the way... I am not discounting DG's damper prowess. I'm challenging the assertion that expecting dyno plots and matched pairs of Koni Yellows / Steeda Pro-Actions / any entry-level damper is just an unrealistic expectation and a want that will not be fulfilled.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I think time to lock this one...it's not adding value anymore.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Nope. Provided - past tense - at one point.

I went back to the Army to go to Afghanistan and stuck around. I don't do suspension development any more. I provide advice and a degree of training when asked nicely, and I continue to maintain A2W as a public service, but I no longer do suspension design & tuning as my day job - or even as a side job.

3 people have already hit me up because of this thread, and I turned them all down.

I STRONGLY recommend you dyno any shocks you buy, no matter what the source - but I won't be on the dyno.
Well thank you for serving and I'm sorry for all the BS that our government allows that prevents our soldiers from achieving swift and decisive victory.

DG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo
I'm challenging the assertion that expecting dyno plots and matched pairs of Koni Yellows / Steeda Pro-Actions / any entry-level damper is just an unrealistic expectation and a want that will not be fulfilled.
And I say you need to demand this service, and only buy from those who will provide it.

It is also entirely reasonable for the vendor to want to charge more for this service. It is worth paying for it.

Well thank you for serving and I'm sorry for all the BS that our government allows that prevents our soldiers from achieving swift and decisive victory.
Thanks.... but your government is not my government. I'm Canadian.

DG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo
Oh... then I'm sorry even more.
"I'm sorry" is my line Dude.

And I sure hope you aren't throwing shade at the Canadian Army, which consistently punches well above its weight. Read up on Vimy Ridge, if you have a historical inclination.

Plus, our Prime Minister can take your President. :p

Anyway, back on topic - it is the lack of customer demand for dyno plots that has let so many shock Super Tunas get away with bloody murder the past few decades. A2W covers some of the worst excesses in great detail - you would be AMAZED at the amount of sheer steaming shit that is out there.

I got very jaded, by the end, because the number of vendors that actually knew what they were doing (and Koni, notwithstanding the known compromises with the Yellow design, is one of the good ones for sure) were enormously outnumbered by those that did not.

You wouldn't buy a race engine without a dyno plot... hell, you wouldn't buy a *camshaft* without knowing the specs on it. Why treat your shocks any differently?

If you as a customer don't hold your vendors accountable, they'll continue to feed you shit. Some, willfully. Others, out of ignorance. But if you're the one eating shit, do you really *care* if it was made with malice / the best of intentions?

Will this increase the price? Probably. My stuff it didn't... but it is arguable if that would be sustainable in the long term. I'd hold no beef with a vendor who wanted to add a dyno surcharge. But get the damned plots!

And if they *can't, or won't* even with the surcharge - run the hell away! That's like an engine builder who doesn't own a torque wrench.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
My president (whom I did not vote for...) will grab your president by the [censored].

I don't expect dyno plots for dampers at this price point. I'd rather develop as a driver than care if my rear right shock is 8% different than its counterpart. Right now I'm happy blaming my tires for undesirable lap times. All I need is another excuse...

Sponsored

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
:lol::lol::lol::rolleyes: Well that was so predictable...

As predictable as your continued projections. As predictable as your utter lack of information on the subject. As predictable as you attempting to discredit others without any credentials or expertise of your own. As predictable as your utter failure in involving yourself in this thread. And, as predictable as your continued returns to tell us you're done.

SO essentially, you get what you give... which is nothing. When you can actually debate the subject with any evidence, experience, or knowledge let us know. What you've done so far is attempt to disprove someone else by denigrating them personally, not by supporting your own argument; which is how garbage behaves. SUPPORT your own argument, don't try and bring others (who are experts with experience and evidence that you can't show for yourself) down.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
You wouldn't buy a race engine without a dyno plot... hell, you wouldn't buy a *camshaft* without knowing the specs on it. Why treat your shocks any differently?

This has been one of the points I've been trying to make all along. I don't think anyone reasonably expects Steeda to provide dyno-matched shocks at this price point (which is why they are adjustable, but I digress...) and I certainly haven't suggested that... but what is wrong with giving the specs to help people who are buying the product? I know my spring rates, the hardness of my bushings, all kinds of things but something so important as the damping is just OK to leave up to the clouds?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.