Which setting for shocks - Installing Steeda Adj ProAction + GT350R Springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I want something controlled yet supple. Imagine BMW M235i (not M2) balance. Nothing too rough, but dont want floaty.

Please let me know what setting (how many turns/clicks and in which direction) I should have the front struts and rear shocks at.

Cheers,

P.S- I plan on adjusting it over time (got the jacking rails to make it easier for the rears), but I'd like to initially start off on a decent note.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Start at 1.5 from full soft. That would put you right about where the fixed ones are and I find it pretty supple. Maybe back off 0.25 but I doubt any more.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
The adjustments are nonlinear and do not translate from shock to shock, so 1.5 on one strut isn't going to be the same as 1.5 on another.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
The adjustments are nonlinear and do not translate from shock to shock, so 1.5 on one strut isn't going to be the same as 1.5 on another.
Why do you say that? I would think it would be the same on all.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Except Steeda specifically said that they valved the non-adjustable shocks and struts to be equivalent to the adjustables at 1.5 turns from full soft. I am aware that it's a non linear adjustment but as a starting point it's a very good comparison.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Start full soft. Drive.
Go full hard. Drive.

Get a feel for both. Understand the difference.

Then from back at full soft, creep up. Always return to full soft before making an adjustment. I suspect you'll settle at around .5 to 1 turn. This is almost 100% driver preference. No matter the valving, the car will handle better. I can do a road course with my track rate springs on 1/4 turn or 1.5 turns and get the same time. I just like 1.5 turns personally.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Why do you say that? I would think it would be the same on all.
Because making a properly precise shock adjuster is not something anyone has even come close to figuring out at this price point. The variances are hilariously bad on every big name until you are shelling out for Penske, Moton, etc. NO ONE has a precise adjustability at this price. Nor Koni, not Bilstein, and certainly not whoever makes the steeda shocks (I believe KYB)

Here's your new bible:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Except Steeda specifically said that they valved the non-adjustable shocks and struts to be equivalent to the adjustables at 1.5 turns from full soft. I am aware that it's a non linear adjustment but as a starting point it's a very good comparison.
That may well work out on a small sample, but it's not going to hold true for long and for sure they aren't setting up and sending out matched pairs.

A lot of companies say a lot of things, but, it's just the way it is with cheap adjustables. Even my KWs vary from side to side.

ansibe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP, Recaros, Koni Yellow, 350r springs.
Because making a properly precise shock adjuster is not something anyone has even come close to figuring out at this price point. The variances are hilariously bad on every big name until you are shelling out for Penske, Moton, etc. NO ONE has a precise adjustability at this price. Nor Koni, not Bilstein, and certainly not whoever makes the steeda shocks (I believe KYB)

Here's your new bible:

Link is awesome! Thank you.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Here's your new bible:

Koni makes them, IIRC. I would expect the tolerances damper to damper to be closer than you're giving them credit for and they are tested at the end of the line. Perhaps [MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION] can chime in.

No question that Penske, Cortex etc have more precision and consistency but you're paying for that.

Sponsored

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Koni makes them, IIRC. I would expect the tolerances damper to damper to be closer than you're giving them credit for and they are tested at the end of the line. Perhaps [MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION] can chime in.

No question that Penske, Cortex etc have more precision and consistency but you're paying for that.
Testing isn't matching pairs, no one matches pairs at this price. The cost of dynoing, pooling, and pairing them is one of the reasons why expensive shocks are expensive.

So, if they are Koni then the Koni section of the supplied link will directly translate.

I don't want to be mistaken, I'm not saying any of this is at all bad or their product is bad.. it's a fact of life based on budget. There's a ton of detail on why adjustable shocks aren't necessarily the greatest option in the link I provided, unless you are dynoing them and leaving the settings alone and then it's a tuning tool to be set and forgotten. Crosstalk, nonlinear adjustment, differences side to side etc... It's all pretty interesting to an engineering nerd like me.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Testing isn't matching pairs, no one matches pairs at this price. The cost of dynoing, pooling, and pairing them is one of the reasons why expensive shocks are expensive.

So, if they are Koni then the Koni section of the supplied link will directly translate.

I don't want to be mistaken, I'm not saying any of this is at all bad or their product is bad.. it's a fact of life based on budget. There's a ton of detail on why adjustable shocks aren't necessarily the greatest option in the link I provided, unless you are dynoing them and leaving the settings alone and then it's a tuning tool to be set and forgotten. Crosstalk, nonlinear adjustment, differences side to side etc... It's all pretty interesting to an engineering nerd like me.
Being an engineering nerd by hobby and profession myself, I get where you're coming from. I just am not certain that the variances are that well understood with these, nor that large. I agree that setting a pair of adjustables to exactly the same setting left and right can an often does produce different damping left an right. I'm not sure that the difference is higher than the variance in spring rate though, either. I've dynoed a handful of shocks myself (Ohlins double adjustable) and have seen the slight nominal differences. It'll make some difference on a race car.

ansibe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP, Recaros, Koni Yellow, 350r springs.
Wow, a herd of nerds, me included!

I like Konis because they're the best I can afford. After reading the linked info, my next set might be Bilstien.

I always thought dampers from companies like Koni, Bilstien, Ohlins, KYB where very consistent. Live and learn I guess. I've never dynoed a shock, even if I did, I'm not sure what I'd do about it. I suppose you could match them left to right.

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I was told that Steedas new coil over and rear adjustable are identical to what they run on their race car. All the testing with these was using their car. I have to believe they work.
I'm in process of installing these this week and will be on the track with them hopefully a week from now.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.