OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Trying products is so much fun! It's the thrill of the chase, the surprise and delight of finding a brilliant product. I'm at the point now where I can almost tell if I like a product on first use. If I do, then it goes into my rotation and will more than likely be reordered. If don't like it, then it tends to get put at the back of the cabinet and forgotten about.

So, with that, this is my latest product purge!!

IMG-5791.jpg

Most of these are not bad products, but they are not great either.

I bought a few different Chemical Guys products a while ago, mainly out of curiosity. With the exception of VRP, none of them were any good. Barebones is one of those. This product is designed for rejuvenation of wheel arch plastics, its oily consistency was a pain to work with and messy in the process. I used this once, and once only. Sure, it looked good, but the user experience let it down. For this role, I like Meguiar's Hyper Dressing or 303 Protectant.

dec151.jpg

dec152.jpg

dec153.jpg

Bowden's Afterglow did not wow me, I just didn't like using it and has sat at the back of the cabinet for far too long now, taking up space that could house something better. I could write down countless other options for a drying aid, but that would take me weeks to type out.

Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer certainly does what it is supposed to, but again, I feel there are better products out there. 303 Protectant or Koch Chemie Plast Star are much easier to work with compared to the cream like consistency of GC Trim Detailer.

www.jpg

w.jpg

ww.jpg

Finally, Meguiar's horrible Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner. I hate this stuff, and I really don't know why it's still in my cabinet. The scent is a pathetic chemically simulated leather aroma, it's cream like consistency is messy and will plug up perforated leathers. It offers little to no cleaning ability, rather it just coats the leather with a shiny film to disguise the dirt. I also hate that slippery, glossy appearance this product leaves behind. For over-the-counter combination leather treatments, Bowden's Leather love is by far a better choice, otherwise NV Cleanse and Nourish or the Colour Lock range offer more ability with less effort than GC Rich Leather.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Ok, this is for my Australian readers...................

This has been several months in the making, and a subject that I have known about for a while now.

I can now reveal that Obsessed Garage products will now be sold via Detailing Shed -

https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...bsessed-garage

Screenshot-33.png

I'm super excited and proud to have played a part in making this happen and I very pleased with how it all worked out. The owner of Detailing Shed is a great guy, someone who has built his small business from the ground up, starting it as a side gig and filling orders after finishing his day job. Detailing Shed have come a long way over the last couple of years as Nick took the project on full time at the start of the pandemic. They have built up the best detailing supplier in the company.

This all began when I was contacted by an Obsessed Garage employee a few months back asking for opinions on Australian detailing supply companies. I was given a list, a list that was missing a few key players. My response was more like an essay, describing each on the list and how they played in the wider detailing product arena. I also included notes of two key players that were not on the list, Detailing Shed was one of them. I initially thought that Detailing Shed may be too close to what Obsessed Garage were already offering, that there could be too much internal competition.

A few weeks after my email, I was informed by my contact that the guys at Obsessed Garage had a very good conversation with Nick at Detailing Shed and that they had been selected to retail OG products. I was both surprised and delighted by that news. I was also surprised to learn I was the only person they reached out to in Australia.

That same day I sent an email to Nick explaining what I had done and congratulated him on being chosen to retail these products. Shortly after, I was on the phone being thanked, being told about the ins and outs of the industry, learning how Detailing Shed began and how the OG line will take his company to the next level. Never did I think that little old me in a sleepy little town on the other side of the world would have an influence on one of the most influential detailing companies in the world.

The products offered at the moment are Obsessed Garage's private label liquids, as well as the OG Spec Mosmatic pressure washer gun. These are premium products at a premium price. The Drying Aid and Decontamination Soap are highlights, the tire dressing is nice too.

As mentioned, I loved playing a part in this, it was a lovely confidence booster and hearing the excitement in Nick's voice was the best reward.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Nice work mate, the best leaders are also the best enablers. Kudos to you!
:clap:🎉

(I agree about Nick @TheDetailingShed, repeat experiences make him my first port of call for products)

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
While not directly related to my detailing cabinet, but this is another thing a long time in the making, something I have wanted to make a move on for a while.

IMG-5798.jpg

With any cordless tool system, the cost is all in the batteries. The actual tools themselves are almost an afterthought when it comes to cost. I have a variety of Makita tools; a drill, angle grinder, impact wrench, blower and radio. My introduction into Makita was the drill, which came in a kit with three 1.5ah batteries, which I later added a 5.0ah battery. All three of the 1.5ah are basically done now, the only one that has any stamina is the 5.0. It's the fact that I'm up for new batteries that I have decided to move onto a different brand.

Total Tools had a sale last week on Milwaukee. This was a cashback sale and not a direct discount as the brand doesn't like to have their tools discounted. I ended up putting the cashback credit into another M12 battery.

There were two tools I wanted to add to my collection, but first I needed to decide on what was going to be the power source. The combination M12 / M18 Rapid Charger with a M18 5.0ah battery was what I settled on. As mentioned, I included a M12 3.0ah battery as well.

https://www.totaltools.com.au/brands...pack-m18sp501b
https://www.totaltools.com.au/brands...-battery-m12b3

IMG-5812.jpg

The first tool I wanted is the Compact Heat Gun, which I put to use straight away applying labels to bottles.

https://www.totaltools.com.au/brands...ukee/heat-guns

IMG-5804.jpg

And another tool that I have needed a few times has been a rotary tool. I just need to add some attachments to make this a really handy little thing to have at my disposal.

https://www.totaltools.com.au/brands...ol-bare-c12rt0

IMG-5805.jpg

The best thing about the Milwaukee brand tools.............they are RED!!! :rockon:

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
For a variety of reasons, I fell out of bed in the grumps today. My alarm not going off didn't help either. It wasn't until I started to do some detailing that my mood improved. Probably because I had a couple of new products to try!

I placed this order with Detailing Shed before they put the OG stuff live on the website.................ahh well, looks like I will have to make another order! :like:

It's also good to see them using a branded tape for their packages, just a little touch that adds to the experience.

IMG-5814.jpg

IMG-5817.jpg

With this order, I wanted to gather together three of P&S's dressings and pit them against one another. P&S make hundreds of different product lines, as such they do tend to double up in some categories. A lot of that is due to the brand catering to a wide variety of detailing industries, from commercial car washes to people like me playing in their garage.

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...43150240088279
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...4383fd98&_ss=r
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...41186536358047

All three of these are water-based dressings that can be used across interior and exterior surfaces. I will break these products down over the next few weeks.

Next, Koch Chemie Speed Glass is another in their expanding lineup of brilliant products. More on this in a moment.

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...a70f55b1&_ss=r

Pressol sprayers have really won me over. They are expensive but this is a case of 'you get what you pay for' situation.

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...c93a567f&_ss=r
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...c93a567f&_ss=r

I have decided to try another high-alkaline product in one of these sprayers teamed with an industrial spray head. The product in question is P&S Undressed tyre and rubber cleaner.

IMG-5820.jpg

IMG-5823.jpg

Today's test subject was an impromptu wash of the Wildtrack. Surprise, surprise, my Ranger was needed again to collect flood damaged items that would not fit into the useless tray of a dual cab. Having had its monthly full detail last week, it didn't need much attention, but I needed the distraction, so the Wildtrack was it!

I mixed up a fresh batch of Carpro Reset in the foam cannon, using it to clean the wheels and wheel arches, P&S Undressed on the tyres. I then gave the car a rinse and foamed with the remainder of Reset in the foam cannon. I haven't used Reset for a while, returning back to it today was a reminder of just how brilliant it is compared to the countless other soaps in my cabinet. It's still easily the best soap out there!

Feeling rather pleased with myself after yesterday, I grabbed some OG Drying Aid after blowing the car down. The interior got a quick vac and wiped down with ONR.

Attending to the glass, I decided to try out my new bottle of Koch Chemie Speed Glass. This product is scented like Koch's other interior products, an odd fragrance that is a grower.

IMG-5825.jpg

It was then time to have a play with two of the P&S dressings. First up, Shine All.

IMG-5828.jpg

Shine All is designed for "high gloss" and longevity. It's said to be suitable for interior dressing, but I would probably not be inclined to use it as such. This dressing is a runnier liquid that can be sprayed directly on the tyre, but I would still spray it into the applicator. The "shine" it provides is not a grotesque slickness, in fact it's probably just about right for my taste. Not to my taste are those applicators that I got from Car Care Products, just very average.

IMG-5842.jpg

IMG-5839.jpg

Next up, P&S Shape Up. This product seems to be a competitor to Meguair's Hyper Dressing, meaning it can be used across a variety of interior and exterior plastic surfaces. Today, I used it as a dressing for the wheel arches. It wipes down to perfection, leaving a natural sheen.

IMG-5831.jpg

Having had a play with some new products and tools was what I needed today. Just waiting to see what condition my Ranger is when it's returned. :shock:

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Cleaning frenzy on the Everest today...McKees on floor mats, P&S Brake Buster on wheels/tyres/wheel arches/side steps, and Meguiar's Hyper Dressing and Ceramic all for the first time. Excellent results and they were a pleasure to use, as always thanks @DFB5.0 for the recommendations.

Also applied Bowden's Bead Machine to the Caprice so we'll see 'what's what' over time compared to Meguiars Ceramic. I'd have to say I prefer the 'apply as you dry' approach taken by Meguiars since you have to dry the car anyway vs the Wash, Paint Cleanse, Flash Prep and apply method specified by Bowden's although maybe the results will be tell a story.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I have been using my EGO 765 for both detailing and gardening work. For drying a car, I still think my Big Boi does a better and more thorough job, but when I'm limited for time, the EGO is handy to just grab and go.

However, the long tube best suited to what it was actually designed for, as in blowing leaves, makes it somewhat cumbersome to use for car drying. Enter the stubby nozzle -

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0B9VJYBHX?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

IMG-5849.jpg

There are a few different companies selling stubby nozzles for leaf blowers. I wanted the one Obsessed Garage sell, but it's ALWAYS out of stock and I actually delayed this purchase waiting for it to become available. I was literally one day too late in attempting to place an order. :facepalm:

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/products/apexaire-ego-blower-stubby-nozzle

The Apex version looks more substantial, having been designed for future upgrades and attachments. In the end I couldn't wait any longer, so I settled on the Stubby Nozzle Company's version, which is a single piece 3D-Printed design and is actually shorter than the Apex unit.

IMG-5853.jpg

The Stubby Nozzle Company also sell the BlowerBand silicone rubber protection tip from their Amazon and Ebay stores to go with the nozzle. These are available in a variety of colours, I stuck with the EGO green. This band slips onto the end of the stubby tube, offering a layer of protection between the tip and the paint. It looks good too. :like:

IMG-5850.jpg

IMG-5858.jpg

IMG-5857.jpg

IMG-5861.jpg

The standard issue tube is massively long in comparison -

IMG-5863.jpg

IMG-5865.jpg

Can't wait to try it out!

Sure as day follows night, the Apex version will be back in stock tomorrow. :facepalm:

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
An abundance of equipment and material has never stopped you from 'diversifying' in the name of two excellent causes; science, and the gratuitous opening of parcels from overseas :giggle: . And so it should be.

Think of all the other OG goodies you'll be able to order at the same time to justify the cost of freight or...hit Nick up @ The Detailing Shed and let him work his magic and you can still order more goodies to save on freight. Win/win I say 🤷‍♂️

FKE SNK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, 93 Cobra clone
DFB - if you can figure out how to get the stubby on and off easily without prying it with screw drivers please lmk.

I'm stuck in "sawed-off" mode with mine pretty much full time.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
DFB - if you can figure out how to get the stubby on and off easily without prying it with screw drivers please lmk.

I'm stuck in "sawed-off" mode with mine pretty much full time.
I had seen that the SNC version can be tough to remove, on the other hand, the Apex one has a loose/variable fit. See how I go.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Thats for the PX MK III, not dissimilar to my current PX MK II. If I went to upgrade, my current Ranger has just over 33,000km on it in 6 years so I'm not in a big rush, I want the new generation model with the twin turbo EcoBlue 2.0 and 10-speed automatic.

Also, I'm sick of white work cars and want to go for Blue Lightning. There is a XLT around the corner in that color, its stunning.

ngr102.jpg

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
@DFB5.0 can I ask please what your expectations are regarding the longevity of towels in general?

Mine are mostly Bowdens (your thoughts on these if any appreciated) and while it makes sense that towels will wear out even when well cared for I'd rather pay for quality that lasts a bit longer. I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with Bowdens towels but I also have nothing to really compare them to. There may be better options and as one not prone to waste time with sub-par gear I see you're neck-deep in TR Co :)

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
@DFB5.0 can I ask please what your expectations are regarding the longevity of towels in general?

Mine are mostly Bowdens (your thoughts on these if any appreciated) and while it makes sense that towels will wear out even when well cared for I'd rather pay for quality that lasts a bit longer. I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with Bowdens towels but I also have nothing to really compare them to. There may be better options and as one not prone to waste time with sub-par gear I see you're neck-deep in TR Co :)
Bowden's microfiber is very good, just expensive for what it is. I'm all for spending more money on detailing, I would prefer to get more for my money. TRC microfiber is made and shipped in bulk, so you are not paying for the fancy cardboard labels.

Longevity of towels will depend on usage patterns, microfiber type and washing/care. My grey beater towels are just now starting to show signs of wear, these are subjected to more extreme usage than say, my soft interior towels. I would also suggest using specific microfiber detergents, Bowden's version is good, but P&S Rags To Riches is brilliant because it seems to be able to revive older towels better.

Have a look at the towel section here -

DFB'S LITTLE BLACK BOOK OF DETAILING 2022 | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

My favorites on that list include the Gauntlet drying towels, Creature Edgeless and The Car Wash Towel. You could cover almost all of your microfiber needs with those three towels.

If you decide to go shopping, I like CarCareCo for microfiber, they are the importer of TRC in Australia so have the full lineup available.

Car Care Products, Car Detailing Products Online Australia - Car Care Co

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Two cars today on the to do list, the Ranger and XR6.

The Ranger missed a wash last week, and I could take it no longer............

IMG-5882.jpg

IMG-5883.jpg

IMG-5885.jpg

Just not good enough!!!

The wheels, tires and arches were dealt with Brake Buster from my foam cannon. I then did a pre-soak with NV Snow, followed by the contact wash with Adam's Mega Foam. I like how Mega Foam rinses clean without reactivating.

IMG-5890.jpg

After a blow down with the EGO, the drying aid for this car was Bead Maker.

IMG-5891.jpg

I then felt a little nostalgic and got out Meguiar's Last Touch for the door jambs. Last Touch was my exclusive drying aid for a long time, I had forgotten how nice it is to use.

IMG-5894.jpg

The Ranger was the test subject for the third of the P&S dressing trio I decided to pit against one another, Dynamic Dressing.

IMG-5898.jpg

IMG-5901.jpg

IMG-5904.jpg

Dynamic is just that, being quick and easy to apply. This is another runny liquid rather than a gel/cream, so it goes on quite wet and then soaks into the rubber. Dynamic is probably more geared towards interior dressing, but I quite liked it on tires.

It was then onto the XR6, here covered in luscious GSF goodness..........

IMG-5907.jpg

I used the EGO with my new stubby nozzle on both cars today. This is more like it!

IMG-5909.jpg

IMG-5911.jpg

One key aspect that I prefer about using the Big Boi is the heating function, this seems to dry the tyres and wheels much faster. The EGO on the other hand has the advantage of not having to manage a power cord and long hose. Both still have a place in my garage.

OG Drying Aid for the XR6, with a little Last Touch used on the door jambs and engine bay.

IMG-5920.jpg

IMG-5924.jpg

After using the last of my bottle of Gyeon Q2 Glass on the windows, the interior got a wipe down with ONR before returning to the exterior to dress the tyres and wipe the wheels over with Last Touch.

IMG-5927.jpg

Back to spec............

IMG-5931.jpg

I made sure I did everything I needed to do yesterday so that I didn't have to go anywhere today, so that I could put on a podcast and just unwind.
Sponsored