SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Finish is all in the prep as they say, but it all depends 'what' people want, differing levels of finish, a professional gun finish can never be replicated with spray cans, ever. there's just too much inconsistency with them, and then with the aersol as a whole.

It's justified don't get me wrong, just obviously people need to read and realise they're far from finished products and step by step work in progress pictures. :thumbsup:
I was talking about criticism of my workmanship :D Was quite pleased with the way it came out right down to the last coat of lacquer then noticed a run on one side. Ah well, no one will be looking!
You're on a hiding to nothing with photos also. They never look as good. You just need to look at every photo ever taken of a footwell. They always look like they've never seen a hoover...
Sponsored

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
It's justified don't get me wrong, just obviously people need to read and realise they're far from finished products and step by step work in progress pictures. :thumbsup:
Will sympathise, perhaps more empathise, with you on that one!

My business generally involves working under the nose of the client, and it's often a trait of people to question and even criticise things, long before they're finished... but it's human nature I guess, and in most cases just down to a lack of understanding, and we're probably all guilty of it at some time. You've just got to let it slide over you, bite your tongue and take solace in the fact that once it's finished, anyone that has questioned or criticised will be eating their words... unless you do fuck it up of course :D :D .

Used to do stuff like this when I was your age (God... that makes me feel old(er)... I sound like my dear departed Dad) as I couldn't afford to go out spending hundreds of pounds on bits here-there-and-everywhere, and Halfrauds used to love people like me... but it's the best way to learn, so more power to you for keeping the 'old traditions' alive and taking on the challenge. Look forward to seeing the finished pics.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I was talking about criticism of my workmanship :D Was quite pleased with the way it came out right down to the last coat of lacquer then noticed a run on one side. Ah well, no one will be looking!
You're on a hiding to nothing with photos also. They never look as good. You just need to look at every photo ever taken of a footwell. They always look like they've never seen a hoover...
Should see my footwells, they never have seen a hoover (I jest they have, maybe 3 or 4 times...). As long as you're happy/owners happy all that matters really
[MENTION=23824]Nookie[/MENTION] Indeed, I do much the same in my job, we've got SME's and clients rubbing their noses in, show them something that isn't finish they have a fit, show them it when it is, they ask why they weren't shown the processs stages, lose lose, people like to be difficult.

I wish I was still using halfrauds paint, I'd have a much higher "Profit" margin on them, mind you I'm probably getting like £2 an hour per each of these when I take of cost of paints. for reference, cost of JUST the paint for these covers was shy of £100. :eyebulge:. And that was with a discount etc haha!

Appreciate the comments, I think i'll keep posting progress pics, every bit of feedback is honestly appreciated, sometimes it's already been noted, but obviously you lot don't know that, so nice to get a view from others perspectives of the WIP. Next pictures will be them finished.

And hopefully the eyebrow fins installed. :headbang:

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Should see my footwells, they never have seen a hoover (I jest they have, maybe 3 or 4 times...). As long as you're happy/owners happy all that matters really
[MENTION=23824]Nookie[/MENTION] Indeed, I do much the same in my job, we've got SME's and clients rubbing their noses in, show them something that isn't finish they have a fit, show them it when it is, they ask why they weren't shown the processs stages, lose lose, people like to be difficult.

I wish I was still using halfrauds paint, I'd have a much higher "Profit" margin on them, mind you I'm probably getting like £2 an hour per each of these when I take of cost of paints. for reference, cost of JUST the paint for these covers was shy of £100. :eyebulge:. And that was with a discount etc haha!

Appreciate the comments, I think i'll keep posting progress pics, every bit of feedback is honestly appreciated, sometimes it's already been noted, but obviously you lot don't know that, so nice to get a view from others perspectives of the WIP. Next pictures will be them finished.

And hopefully the eyebrow fins installed. :headbang:
I will have to scan a few pics of my old Capri, for some Mad reason I painted my door handles Gold, had Knight rider lights, and these 007 fake bullet holes you could get years back,
And some Barsteward still nicked her, mind you was my own fault was more interested in the Promise I was on, then the bloke following us into the cinema :frusty:

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
[MENTION=22082]goldengooner[/MENTION], did you pump her anyway?

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I will have to scan a few pics of my old Capri, for some Mad reason I painted my door handles Gold, had Knight rider lights, and these 007 fake bullet holes you could get years back,
And some Barsteward still nicked her, mind you was my own fault was more interested in the Promise I was on, then the bloke following us into the cinema :frusty:
Ha but you loved it (The car, and probably the bar steward too :lol:).

I don't plan no fake bullet holes just yet, depends if the northerns come down and start throwing rocks... (That's a Game of Thrones reference). But holes = weight reduction right :lol:

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Just had a call from the dealership cars ready for pick up out of the 4 things I took it in for the only thing they've been able to fix is the puddle lights, the plastic trims have had to be re-ordered as they're warped/distorted and won't fit and the window not being fitted right it out of their capability so I've now got to find a ford approved bodyshop near me :(

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Just had a call from the dealership cars ready for pick up out of the 4 things I took it in for the only thing they've been able to fix is the puddle lights, the plastic trims have had to be re-ordered as they're warped/distorted and won't fit and the window not being fitted right it out of their capability so I've now got to find a ford approved bodyshop near me :(
The levels of incompetence are too damn high.... There's a few people with spare plastic trim sets (I've got a spare set ear marked for someone else at the minute though!) that you could borrow... are they the side skirts/valance etc? or interior trim?

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
passenger side interior lower trim and drivers side rear little black thing (attempt at a shit guard?) near the rear wheel high up the back bumper.

no point in borrowing any it'll only be a couple of weeks I guess I can live with defective bits for a while magazine photoshoot isn't until september so as long as I get exterior bits fixed by then its all good.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
passenger side interior lower trim and drivers side rear little black thing (attempt at a shit guard?) near the rear wheel high up the back bumper.

no point in borrowing any it'll only be a couple of weeks I guess I can live with defective bits for a while magazine photoshoot isn't until september so as long as I get exterior bits fixed by then its all good.
:ford:!

Yeah I doubt anyones got that stuff spare, thought you meant external plastics etc. :/!

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
:ford:!

Yeah I doubt anyones got that stuff spare, thought you meant external plastics etc. :/!

naah its shitty obscure bits its not major just me being perfect as I can't stand trim that doesn't fit right. The window is the one that pisses me off the most as its miles out and held in by a metal bracket then bonded then trimmed around and at no stage of that is the window fitted properly at all.

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Only just gone and added DRL tribars and switchback indicators :headbang:

About 1.5 days work total.

Tribars installed using the 'cut a hole in the bottom' method.

Had to create a couple wiring harnesses and adapters to get power to everything.

Finally for those wondering, I shaved down a standard 7443 socket just enough to perfectly fit the OEM housing. All lights are from Diode Dynamics.
Good work mate!!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Fin:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Well done Manders, lots of time and patience.
Thanks, yeah they've been a bit of a pig to do, the parts were pretty mauled when I got them so they've taken a bit to bring them up to an acceptable standard. Which is why a lot of previous pics look like shiz.

Paint was a new challenge for me (The two part Ruby) as if you put on layers in different levels you could in fact end up with two different shades, so I had to recoat part of it to make sure it was all the same colour using a different spray method. (same occurs for the top coat). Ruby also if you apply it in reverse orders can change colours (so if you spray top to bottom vs left to right, or alternate)

The pics above are obviously post paint correction (Any issues with paint etc), wet sand, sand, wetsand again, polish, wax, sealant and detail.
Sponsored