Sponsored

What did you do to your S550 Mustang today?!

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I thought it was legalized 5 years ago and this year they made it mandatory.

I take it he has sound files for a V8 idling, accelerating, etc. and somehow has things rigged to play them when he does those things (idle, accelerate) in his V6. But I have no idea how he syncs the sound to what he is doing. I mean for one thing a V8 sounds different depending on how much throttle it is getting. Plus how do you make the V8 shifts match when the V6 shifts?
Still confused...
Are you suggesting, that people are playing a V8 engine RPM sound, over the cars speakers to hide the v6 sound..?

If so, that^ makes zero F'n sense.
As 4 cylinders, 5 cylinders, 6 cylinder and 8 cylinders all have inherent sound properties, harmonics & acoustics.
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I’m going to play recorded V8 engine sounds in my V6 and see if people think it’s a V8. Then I’m going to try a half throttle pull with another V8 sound byte and see if that pull feels better with the canned V8 sound. Will come in handy if we end up with an electric Mustang. I have no idea if something that fake will work. But I’ll know in about an hour.
When you say "People..." are you referring to passengers..?

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I thought it was legalized 5 years ago and this year they made it mandatory.

I take it he has sound files for a V8 idling, accelerating, etc. and somehow has things rigged to play them when he does those things (idle, accelerate) in his V6. But I have no idea how he syncs the sound to what he is doing. I mean for one thing a V8 sounds different depending on how much throttle it is getting. Plus how do you make the V8 shifts match when the V6 shifts?
I’m not there yet but with an electric car the shifts won’t matter. Only the volume and speed of the engine according to the position of the pedal. It worked well using the existing tech on an Ecoboost - too well... :D

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
When you say "People..." are you referring to passengers..?
Like people beside the car or on the sidewalk. I was in a truck when the Ecoboost did it’s thing and I thought it was a 5.0. I was impressed! It was a convertible.

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
As another car I was duped but I want to know if the driver feels better even if he knows it’s fake. If it’s an electric Mustang you could argue actual Mustang sounds to go with the explosive acceleration would be fun. But I would only match the sounds with the actual model/brand of car.

Well off I go...

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Like people beside the car or on the sidewalk. I was in a truck when the Ecoboost did it’s thing and I thought it was a 5.0. I was impressed! It was a convertible.
Where does the V8 sound come from..? Speakers in the car, or do you mount a speaker in the engine bay to fool people.

Also, are you saying you have heard this before, and was fooled by a turbo-6 into thinking it was a normally asperated v8...?

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Where does the V8 sound come from..? Speakers in the car, or do you mount a speaker in the engine bay to fool people.

Also, are you saying you have heard this before, and was fooled by a turbo-6 into thinking it was a normally asperated v8...?

They come from speakers and I would put them outside the car. One of the complaints about electric cars is blind people and animals getting hit because of lack of noise and maybe inattentive people. Adding signature sound takes care of that.

The verdict is that I would definitely add the sound to the inside and outside of a totally electric car. I’m sure it’s aleady being developed. In my V6 I played it during a pull and it sort of worked but then the tranny downshifted to 4 grand and I heard the real engine noise and preferred that. I have no idea if it is preferable on the Ecoboost. Something for you guys to do on your own if you are so inclined. But on a noiseless car I would add this in definitely.

Sponsored

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
GT350 center dash gauges.

Goodbye useless vacuum gauge, hello useful oil temp gauge. :cheers:
Great idea. I track mine and can use the gauge on the dash rather than the one in the digital display. Is this a Ford Racing product?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Great idea. I track mine and can use the gauge on the dash rather than the one in the digital display. Is this a Ford Racing product?
The GT350 gauges are just regular parts. I got mine for under $200 from Levitown over a year ago. They are plug and play in a GT PP at least 2015-17. I ended up selling mine for what I paid still in the box because they don't include MyColor.

Be aware, the oil temps are simulated just like the one in the DIC. There is no oil temperature sensor in the cars. So an algorithm calculates what the oil temperature should be based on other factors the car does know, such as air temps, water temps, time running, etc..

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang Ecoboost

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is California Special side window frames.
Sponsored