Sponsored

What are the signs of clutch needing replacement on the S550 GT PP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
I usually grenade clutches from abuse on my other highly modified cars but this GT PP is my daily driver and I do not trash it as such doing burnouts and driving it like a teen.

I just hit 15k miles, the car drives perfect, no slippage . i only had a burning smell 3 times when i got stuck in snow last month but it went away and never came back

the only thing that worries me is the miles on the car and i do accelerate hard all day long.

the clutch engages very high almost at the 85% top of the pedal travel. I drove my friends new 2016 and his engages around the 50% mark. my car is too easy to drive with the pedal effort and the fact i do not need to depress pedal much to engage and disengage gears,

there is no slippage under full throttle in any gear, up a hill etc. feels fine.

does this excessive high pedal engagement on the S550 signal excessive clutch wear or is my car just normal and will be fine for now.

i never did a burn out and i tried the launch control feature 2 times last year. My car also was never test driven at the dealer so i am the only driver since new.

looks like a clutch replacement on this car is a ton of work and more than i would want to do at my home shop so i would give it to a friend for the swap. i just do not know if i should do it now or wait and get stranded one day and really regret it.

is there any procedure to actually check the clutch through an access hole in the bellhousing?
Sponsored

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
You don't drive like a teen but you accelerate hard all day long? Isn't that contradicting? My ecoboost has 7.5k miles and engages and the top as well.

OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
You don't drive like a teen but you accelerate hard all day long? Isn't that contradicting? My ecoboost has 7.5k miles and engages and the top as well.
no i see kids around here doing burnouts at every single stop light and chance they get and then complain at their clutch failures to the local dealer. i drive hard but not abusive there is a big difference. i do not drag any of my cars and considering i just spent 1500 today on new pilot super sport tires i choose to not abuse them.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
It's a hydraulic system. There wouldn't be any difference in pedal as the clutch wears. Think of the brake system. Brakes wear, fluid level drops but the pedal position is the same.
Sponsored