Sponsored

Weld Corsa exhaust together?

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
I have a Corsa extreme that leaks constantly so I had the mufflers welded on last week but the shop I took it to said they can't weld the middle section together for some unspecified reason. Is there really a reason you can't weld the whole system together?

I would have thought not because the stock exhaust is all one peice. I'm asking because I'm positive it's still leaking because it doesn't sound quite right
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Explain not sounding right, if you could please. An exhaust leak will sounds like taps on a coffee can or a hissing sound. Usually they're subtle. If you think the system doesn't sound right, you should definitely call Corsa but if you welded it together you may have boinked your warranty.

moarhorsepower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Mine is welded at all the connections that are supposed to be slip connections at recommendation of the exhaust installer. I tried without welding but it was never 100% right. Then the connection/reducer to the headers that was provided rusted out (one side first, then the other) and the installer had to cut/weld in new piping there. Finally it has been good for over 6 months without issue.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
What sound issues does it have?

There have been cases where mufflers have been replaced under warranty, so if you are having noticeable sound problems, drop Corsa an email.

I had an issue with a bad connection piece, and they replaced it under warranty with zero hassle and very quick response from my initial email to customer service.

OP
OP

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Well I bought the exhaust second hand so not sure if I ever had the warranty. By not sounding right, I mean it hardly burbles and never pops anymore and there is a slight hissing sound from the header connection and middle section. It used to go back to sounding right after I gave it another tightening but it's gotten worse lately and doesn't sound at all like what I remember and it can't all be from carbon build up. This was my second time taking it to the shop to stop leaks and this shop specializes in exhaust work.

See post from early 2016
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1830977&postcount=60

I love the way this exhaust sounds when it's working right but it's been a pain since I got it. I'll reach out to Corsa and see what they say

Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Used exhausts can be problematic at sealing joints. The connection ends can slightly oval from being torqued down, which may look circular to the eye, but are not giving a perfect seal. Hence getting a gas tight seal will not be possible if the connections aren't 100% round.

I've had issues with my Corsa sagging on the passenger side muffler, tightened the bejesus out of it and even replaced the clamp. Still sags about a 1/2" after a week of re-visiting the issue. I've accepted that unless I weld it, its not going to stay put. Not a huge deal, but frustrating. There have been numerous other members who have reported the same sagging issue.

My theory is that the Corsa system uses some of the largest muffler boxes out of all the aftermarket catbacks, and the sheer weight of them will cause slight rotation at the clamping point over time. Doesn't happen to everyone, but many have experienced the same. Welding is an option, but I want the system to remain in sections so I can resell it one day.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Used exhausts can be problematic at sealing joints. The connection ends can slightly oval from being torqued down, which may look circular to the eye, but are not giving a perfect seal. Hence getting a gas tight seal will not be possible if the connections aren't 100% round.

I've had issues with my Corsa sagging on the passenger side muffler, tightened the bejesus out of it and even replaced the clamp. Still sags about a 1/2" after a week of re-visiting the issue. I've accepted that unless I weld it, its not going to stay put. Not a huge deal, but frustrating. There have been numerous other members who have reported the same sagging issue.

My theory is that the Corsa system uses some of the largest muffler boxes out of all the aftermarket catbacks, and the sheer weight of them will cause slight rotation at the clamping point over time. Doesn't happen to everyone, but many have experienced the same. Welding is an option, but I want the system to remain in sections so I can resell it one day.
The reason they sag is because of where they put the joint for the axleback. If they put it where most of the rest do, they wouldn't sag.

What I've found after having the axlebacks on and off about 5 times is that the clamp position between the axleback and the midpipe is critical, and it's important to elevate the mufflers as high as possible in the hangers before tightening everything. Once done, it sticks in place.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The reason they sag is because of where they put the joint for the axleback. If they put it where most of the rest do, they wouldn't sag.

What I've found after having the axlebacks on and off about 5 times is that the clamp position between the axleback and the midpipe is critical, and it's important to elevate the mufflers as high as possible in the hangers before tightening everything. Once done, it sticks in place.
All of this. On the dot. :thumbsup:
Sponsored