Want to upgrade to Chrome Wheels

Msawdust

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I have a 2015 Black basic gt. Currently has 18" stock wheels and would like to change out to Chrome. The wheels I am looking at are 20" Chrome wheels from American Muscle. My question is how much does the ride quality suffer going from a 235/50r18 tire to a 255/35r20 tire due to the reduced side wall. This may be an oversimplification but I am really only looking for the apperance upgrade and not a preformance improvement.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I have a 2015 Black basic gt. Currently has 18" stock wheels and would like to change out to Chrome. The wheels I am looking at are 20" Chrome wheels from American Muscle. My question is how much does the ride quality suffer going from a 235/50r18 tire to a 255/35r20 tire due to the reduced side wall. This may be an oversimplification but I am really only looking for the apperance upgrade and not a preformance improvement.

Depending on the tires quite a bit to a whole lot. The question is how much comfort are you will to sacrifice for the looks? Only you can answer that. Now you also have the middle ground of going to a 19" if the wheel you want is available in that size. See if you can find someone with 20's and try it out. By the way, what wheels are you looking at?

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD

Going to the 20" wheel will give you a lower profile, wider tire that will improve handling right out of the gate. You can address ride quality with the tire that you choose, but you will still notice a stiffer, performance type ride. Appearance will definitely an upgrade. Best of both worlds really.

OP
OP

Msawdust

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Depending on the tires quite a bit to a whole lot. The question is how much comfort are you will to sacrifice for the looks? Only you can answer that. Now you also have the middle ground of going to a 19" if the wheel you want is available in that size. See if you can find someone with 20's and try it out. By the way, what wheels are you looking at?
I am looking at the FR500 Chrome wheels on American Muscle. Probably should have mentioned that in the original post.

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
I have 20’s Stock. If I were to buy a replacement. I would do 19”.The ride is not horrible. Im on 275/35//20 Michelin. But, 19” would allow me to get a tire with a little more sidewall for a better ride.

OP
OP

Msawdust

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I have 20’s Stock. If I were to buy a replacement. I would do 19”.The ride is not horrible. Im on 275/35//20 Michelin. But, 19” would allow me to get a tire with a little more sidewall for a better ride.
Thanks thinking that way myself.
Sponsored