Sponsored

Want to sell my old mustang for a new one...

MustangMark83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang GT
I have a screaming yellow 2001 mustang GT. It was 1 year old when I bought it and I've owned it for the last 12+ years. It's got 166,000 miles on it. Here's the list of things that are wrong.

Engine burns oil at a rate of about a quart every couple months
Driver side window is off the track so it rolls down but you have to forcefully pull it up.
Small hole in driver's leather seat
Exhaust leak coming from header
Clearcoat is peeling in various spots
Suspension is squeaking (original shocks and springs)
Tint has completely peeled off
Steering wheel is spongey
Car is filthy inside and out, carpets can't be cleaned, would need to replace.
Transmission grinds sometimes when you shift into 5th gear
ABS light on
Cruise doesn't work anymore (might be simple fix?)

The mods I have are
BBK offroad H pipe w/ flowmaster exhaust
K&N air filter
Saleen body kit , saleen rims (not sure if these add value)
Screaming yellow paint job conversion from zinc yellow ($2500) in 2004

Kelly Blue book puts the car around $4k-$6k depending on condition

I'd like to sell it and use the cash as a down payment on a 2015, but I'm curious what I should list it for, and would anyone buy the car in it's current condition? Would it make sense to fix some of the issues, and if so, which ones?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Drive South on US 27 until you're in the middle of nowhere. Set it on fire.
Or
Leave it parked with the keys in it, a five dollar bill on the dash in
Belle Glade or Immokalee

OP
OP

MustangMark83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang GT
If I were to make the car perfect I would have to put probably 10k into it, and I'd sell it for close to that much (with the car being repainted, engine rebuilt, fresh tint, new interior). Not worth it. Maybe someone would buy it as a project car for cheap. Lots of people still enjoy the look of the early 2000's.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
If I were to make the car perfect I would have to put probably 10k into it, and I'd sell it for close to that much (with the car being repainted, engine rebuilt, fresh tint, new interior). Not worth it. Maybe someone would buy it as a project car for cheap. Lots of people still enjoy the look of the early 2000's.
Honestly I have no idea how to help you here, I am facing a similar issue with my car that it is failing in several ways. Best advice would be to cut your losses, and sell it for whatever you can get for it. There is a for sale section that may be more relevant to you.

Best of luck!

Chris

Sponsored

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch

Even if you dump $10k into your car to make it perfect, I doubt you would find someone willing to pay that for your GT.

OH5GT 2 S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Convertible, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F150
My best advice is Craigslist. Someone will buy it as long as you're not asking an arm and a leg for it!

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Craigslist for $7500. Make sure to wash and USE TIRE SHINE its like snake oil for the eyes.

Let the person negotiate down to 6k and they think they got a deal. Easy.

OP
OP

MustangMark83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang GT
OP
OP

MustangMark83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang GT
Craigslist for $7500. Make sure to wash and USE TIRE SHINE its like snake oil for the eyes.

Let the person negotiate down to 6k and they think they got a deal. Easy.
Do I be honest about everything that's wrong with it? I would hate to show them the car and be like "ok so this is wrong, and that's wrong, and that right there needs to be fixed"

Sponsored

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
W/out seeing pics of this car, based on everything you were nice and up front with, I'd say $2500 is about it but I hope I'm wrong you get more than that!

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Do I be honest about everything that's wrong with it? I would hate to show them the car and be like "ok so this is wrong, and that's wrong, and that right there needs to be fixed"
Yes be 100% honest about all the negatives BUT make sure to give positives after your negatives.

OH5GT 2 S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Convertible, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F150
If it's everything that you stated earlier, all that stuff is obvious. I would let buyers that you felt were serious test drive the car with you in it. Not just people that are out kicking tires, THAT WILL HAPPEN! If they ask, be honest, but all the stuff you listed earlier is obvious stuff to me!

OP
OP

MustangMark83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang GT
W/out seeing pics of this car, based on everything you were nice and up front with, I'd say $2500 is about it but I hope I'm wrong you get more than that!
Thanks

It's really not worth the effort to fix up. Probably just gonna let someone think they got a deal and they can do the fixing up with their own $

I just want something small for a down payment on a 2015. I haven't had a car payment in 8 years so I guess I'm ready. I told myself I'd never have another car payment again, but here we are, the 2015's are here!

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ius=0&minPrice=8000&listingId=353890328&Log=0

2004 mustang gt , 105k miles and it's listed for $12,000

They're holding their value well.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ius=0&minPrice=8000&listingId=374555869&Log=0

2001 mustang gt , 126k miles listed for $10,500
There's a big difference between "listed price" and what it will actually sell for

You can score an S197 for $12K in decent condition

But if you can get over $10K for your SN95 or New Edge, do it! :thumbsup:

Nick C.
Sponsored