Using Fog light button for kill switch

jake072

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I would like to use the headlight switch w/ Fog lights in my GT350 as a kill switch for a radar detector. I emailed the folks at starkey who manufacture the harnesses for the GT350 fog light kit and they provided some information, but I’m just hoping to see if anyone around here has done anything like this.

From what I’ve been able to discern the signal from the fog light is using pulse width modulation to trigger a solid state relay to control the fog lights. So my plan is to buy a solid state relay (starkey wants $65, but I’m not sure what I would need so I’m thinking of just getting this as it is “known to work”). Then run a tap from an accessory triggered fuse and a ground to the relay then plug my radar detector hardwire kit into that.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve been lurking here for ages and figured it was time to try and tap the collective knowledge so I don’t end up buying a bunch of things that won’t work.

Thanks again
Sponsored

OP
OP
jake072

jake072

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I think this would work. Pin 87a takes a 12v pulse to switch. Pin 87, takes ground to switch. I use both pins to have my fogs come on during ignition but still be switchable with the switch.

More info:

http://www.inpowerelectronics.com/products/vcm-10
In the documentation I have it says that the harness to the SW6985, in pin 14 I put a control to the switch, which I believe is the 12v puslse to switch. What pin would the ground go into? I only have documentation from the Shelby Fog Light kit, and there's no mention of what any of the pins do, just that I need to put a control wire into position 14 in the harness. I can't find any documentation on what the other positions do.

Do you happen to know what pin i would put the ground into that connects to the headlight switch?

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
Might also be a good idea to block your plate # in your picture before you start making posts about kill switches for radar detectors in Ontario, Canada. :-)

OP
OP
jake072

jake072

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Might also be a good idea to block your plate # in your picture before you start making posts about kill switches for radar detectors in Ontario, Canada. :-)
Thanks had the wrong photo
Sponsored