Upgrading GT350 base unit

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)
After reading page upon page of the two largest threads in this forum regarding upgrading base system, I got tired and I'm still a little confused.

I saw that there is an option for replacing the panel which is good. Yay. However, I don't want to keep the factory head unit if I don't have to. Is there an aftermarket head unit available at all if I could find a panel that could accomodate it?

I don't care about keeping anything Sync related...if I don't NEED it. I've hardly driven the car so I'm still learning things daily. But one thing I do know is that stereo has to go!

I've priced some Alpine speakers which I'm considering to pair with the factory head unit if I have to keep it, unless directed towards something else. I'm just familiar with Alpine and have had good experiences with it.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

S550EB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB PP MAN
Hey,

There is no aftermarket adapter kit to be able to mount an aftermarket radio.

there are a couple of options,
-have a completely custom system install in your car.
-retrofit a factory unit, I am not sure that anyone has actually completed one on a 2016
-Get one of the Tom top units,
The bad thing about them from what I read, the clock reads wrong and the temperature reads in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit.

The base sound system really bother me, so I replaced all speakers, build a custom sub enclosure n added two amps.
The difference is night and day :)
I have even compare my sound system to a "shaker" sound system w/ subwoofer and there is no comparison.
My system sounds 100 % more clear than the top of the line from factory.

note: at first I just replaced the speaker and it sounded more clear but it needed more power to be able to push the speakers.
The BIG difference was after adding the amps n sub.
I also added Dynamat to help w/ noise and resonance.

OP
OP

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
Hey,

There is no aftermarket adapter kit to be able to mount an aftermarket radio.

there are a couple of options,
-have a completely custom system install in your car.
-retrofit a factory unit, I am not sure that anyone has actually completed one on a 2016
-Get one of the Tom top units,
The bad thing about them from what I read, the clock reads wrong and the temperature reads in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit.

The base sound system really bother me, so I replaced all speakers, build a custom sub enclosure n added two amps.
The difference is night and day :)
I have even compare my sound system to a "shaker" sound system w/ subwoofer and there is no comparison.
My system sounds 100 % more clear than the top of the line from factory.

note: at first I just replaced the speaker and it sounded more clear but it needed more power to be able to push the speakers.
The BIG difference was after adding the amps n sub.
I also added Dynamat to help w/ noise and resonance.
First off, thank you very much for your reply.

I'm not even sure what a Tom top unit is...? But it sounds like it's not really something I'd be interested in anyway.

My other option is what you've done; upgrading speakers and adding amps and subs. I'm looking in to it at the moment. How much did you spend on everything and what components did you buy? I'm thinking of going with Alpine's SWR and Type R series and amps. Maybe adding a JL Audio Fix 82 as well.

S550EB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB PP MAN
04T

I am using:
-Alpine Components in the front, SPS-610C,
-Alpine coaxial on the rear, SPE 6000,
-Alpine 4 channel amp for frt n rear speakers
-Alpine mono amp for sub
-10" JL subwoofer in custom build fiberglass sealed enclosure

I have about 1200.00 on it and that is adding for wiring kits, power distribution block n materials to build the box.

I installed everything myself so I am not sure how much a shop would charge for everything.

I can tell you one thing, I am really glad I did it :)
If you like music I really think is worth it.
The first time I turn the music on, I could not stop smiling :thumbsup:

ps I ordered the Tom Top "radio"
I like that it has navigation and that it is 8" screen, if I really don't like it, I will send it back.

Sponsored

OP
OP

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
http://www.tomtop.com/8-large-scree...-mustang-2015-free-map-free-card-k2792-1.html

use promo code TH002 for $30 off

For under $300 shipped, hard to beat and little to lose. All your steering wheel buttons will still work. Its a good hold over until there are some high end units available.
I'm concerned about the outputs. Is this the same as the 4" in the base? I got a quote from a local audio installer who said I should buy a JL Audio Fix 82 if I add amp and speakers.

04T

I am using:
-Alpine Components in the front, SPS-610C,
-Alpine coaxial on the rear, SPE 6000,
-Alpine 4 channel amp for frt n rear speakers
-Alpine mono amp for sub
-10" JL subwoofer in custom build fiberglass sealed enclosure

I have about 1200.00 on it and that is adding for wiring kits, power distribution block n materials to build the box.

I installed everything myself so I am not sure how much a shop would charge for everything.

I can tell you one thing, I am really glad I did it :)
If you like music I really think is worth it.
The first time I turn the music on, I could not stop smiling :thumbsup:

ps I ordered the Tom Top "radio"
I like that it has navigation and that it is 8" screen, if I really don't like it, I will send it back.
I know this is probably a stupid question, but how did you connect the amps? Speaker wire or deck outputs? I was quoted $3500 for one amp, four speakers, JL Audio Fix 82, one 12" Stealthbox with sub, Dynamat, Rux knob and labor.

S550EB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB PP MAN
04T

The 4 channel amp has a "speaker level input connector"
I ran 18 gauge speaker wire from the speakers* to the amp
I then ran 14 gauge speaker wire from the amp to the speakers
I ran all the speaker wires on the drivers side of the car.

The power cable n the blue "remote" wire was run on the passenger side.

The mono amp was connected by tapping on the frt speakers wires and connecting a LOC (low output converter).
I wanted to be able to adjust the bass from the drivers seat, so I added an inline gain control knob.
That was connected w/ an RCA cable from the LOC, to the bottom of the drivers seat, and the other RCA cable connected to the mono amp.

The reason for tapping on the frt speaker wires for the sub amp, is that I did not want to deal w/ the "bass roll off", that would happen when tapping to the rear speaker wires.

*the frt speakers were connected right behind the hood release handle and on the opposite side of the car for the right speaker.
the rear speaker I tapped right behind the rt rear seat.

the price they quoted you seams a little high, but it is quite a bit of work.

David.K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I know this is probably a stupid question, but how did you connect the amps? Speaker wire or deck outputs? I was quoted $3500 for one amp, four speakers, JL Audio Fix 82, one 12" Stealthbox with sub, Dynamat, Rux knob and labor.
I have also read through the major posts on changing the base radio to the My Touch. I planned on just adding a amp and speakers to the stock system at first and didn't come a cross a clear understanding of the base radio connectors to make a line out harness. Maybe 240A and 240B type (I need help with this).

I am considering a similar JL set-up in my GT350. $3,500 doesn't seem unreasonable. I would see about upgrading some of the JL components though for the same amount of cash.

JL Audio Stealth box - SB-F-MUSCPE/12TW3
JL Audio HD900/5 Amp
JL Audio ZR650-CSi 6 3/4 Speakers

The JL amps will accept speaker line level inputs.

Last edited:
OP
OP

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, David. I'm sorry, I didn't see this reply until now. I'm still trying to decide what to get. I'm really struggling with not being able to replace the head unit. I really wanted to do that. Did you get your car yet? I'm thinking of going with all Alpine components. Not sure... I'm just used to them. I've already decided to use a LOC when wiring it all up. I can find equipment much cheaper than what the shop quoted me so that'll save some cash. I had considered a powered sub but I just don't think I'll be happy with it.

I have also read through the major posts on changing the base radio to the My Touch. I planned on just adding a amp and speakers to the stock system at first and didn't come a cross a clear understanding of the base radio connectors to make a line out harness. Maybe 240A and 240B type (I need help with this).

I am considering a similar JL set-up in my GT350. $3,500 doesn't seem unreasonable. I would see about upgrading some of the JL components though for the same amount of cash.

JL Audio Stealth box - SB-F-MUSCPE/12TW3
JL Audio HD900/5 Amp
JL Audio ZR650-CSi 6 3/4 Speakers

The JL amps will accept speaker line level inputs.

OP
OP

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
Question: will any 6.5" speakers fit? Sonicelectronix says NOTHING fits but then so does Crutchfield.

Sponsored

David.K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Thank you, David. I'm sorry, I didn't see this reply until now. I'm still trying to decide what to get. I'm really struggling with not being able to replace the head unit. I really wanted to do that. Did you get your car yet? I'm thinking of going with all Alpine components. Not sure... I'm just used to them. I've already decided to use a LOC when wiring it all up. I can find equipment much cheaper than what the shop quoted me so that'll save some cash. I had considered a powered sub but I just don't think I'll be happy with it.
I'm expecting my GT350 to arrive in March.

I thought about a different head unit, however with no current "install kits" available and potentially taking away from the factory look, I'm fine with the factory one. I have my mind pretty much made up on the JL equipment. From what I have read, the quality is what you are paying for. The Stealthbox will maximize my useable truck space.

David.K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Question: will any 6.5" speakers fit? Sonicelectronix says NOTHING fits but then so does Crutchfield.
Again from what I have read in some of the other threads, there is plenty of space for 6.5's, even the increased width/depth models. We will need install speaker rings though. Some on Crutchfield look as if they would work with the Ford three screw mounting style, but nothing has been confirmed.

OP
OP

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
Again from what I have read in some of the other threads, there is plenty of space for 6.5's, even the increased width/depth models. We will need install speaker rings though. Some on Crutchfield look as if they would work with the Ford three screw mounting style, but nothing has been confirmed.
I ordered all Alpine components and a Zenclosure box for two 12's yesterday. From what I understand Alpine speakers comes with a 6.5" adapter ring so it's all good.

Did you see Raxiom is working on a head unit? Wish it was available now!

Edit: I'm sure you'll love the JL stuff. I thought about going with JL but it was more expensive and I had Alpine in my 96 GT and loved it. Don't fix it if it ain't broken I say. :D
Sponsored