Sponsored

Total allowable length of "pass through" storage?

GPhilly04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost 6MT
I need to haul some 2x4's home. Does anybody know if I can fit an 8' board through the car? I'm talking about feeding it through the trunk, over the folded-down back seats, all the way to the radio. Is there enough space down the middle of the car to do that?

A few things to note:

1. My Mustang is a manual so I really need constant access to the shifter, meaning I probably need the board to stop about 18" short of the radio so I can change gears without the board being in the way.

2. I don't have any bungee cords or anything to hold the trunk almost-closed so I'm wanting to know if there is enough space to fit the entire 2x4 INSIDE the car to the point I can close the trunk completely.

3. Yes, I know I can rent trucks from Home Depot. Yes, I have friends with big cars who can help. But I'm wanting to know if this is possible so I can do it on my own time, for no extra money, and without inconveniencing anybody else.

4. I know the car is 188" long (15.6'). I just need to know how much of that is from the steering wheel and back.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored

slythetove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
So I just went and tested this for you as I have some 8 foot long trim boards. It will fit but shifting won't be fun. You may have to consider resting them on the dash up front. Use towels to avoid scratching center armrest and dash.
image.jpg

slythetove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Side shot
image.jpg

OP
OP
GPhilly04

GPhilly04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost 6MT
So I just went and tested this for you as I have some 8 foot long trim boards. It will fit but shifting won't be fun. You may have to consider resting them on the dash up front. Use towels to avoid scratching center armrest and dash.
You're awesome!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to actually try it out!! Thanks a ton! :hail:

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
What I did in my Genesis, I laid the pass seat all the way back (after dropping the pass thru) and ran boards over the seat up and on to the dash with a towel over the dash of course, boards if needed up to the base of the windshield. I used to get 4-6 8' 2x4s in there at a time. I'm sure you can do it in a roughly the same size 'Stang.

Sponsored

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
Don't have my '16 yet, but in my '11 (as well as my '94, '98 & '04) I would just move pass seat full forward, recline it all the way, remove the headrest, then put a towel over top of seat back.

This way, the boards or whatever you are hauling is on the passenger side, not down the middle. If you go diagonal (drivers side trunk to pass side front over console top and into pass foot well) you can haul 10' lengths of conduit, wood trim, or other semi flexible material.

8' fluorescent light bulbs I haul along the outer passenger side (pass seat reclined and bulbs between headrest and door.

Have 2 folding ladders one 13' / one 17' and I've always been able to haul these in my Mustangs too. 17' needed to be loaded in from the passenger door with seat full forward and door glass down ... I think with the flatter trunk floor in the S550 that 17' might just fit through the back !!

Doug

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
I got four 2x4x8's in mine. Probably could cram eight in if you had to.

16_DIB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hector
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
You could have just measured with a measuring tape..

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
You could have just measured with a measuring tape..
actually driving the car with a bunch of lumber in it vs. sticking a tape measure in it are two totally different things.

slythetove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
actually driving the car with a bunch of lumber in it vs. sticking a tape measure in it are two totally different things.
Exactly. Now you can see exactly where it falls and how you can adjust it to allow driving.

Sponsored

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
They will have to sit on top of the center console and angled towards the passenger seat to avoid the shifter. The biggest problem I had was my 4 high stack would fall over and hit the shifter. And I had them strapped together. Wasn't easy, but it's doable.

Libertas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Vert Premium Every Option but Auto Trans
I can fit the 12 foot long 2x4s in mine. But I have a vert!

03ramit1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Dodge Ram
Why don't you just go to Home Depot and rent the truck? Seems that this would make more sense. Or find a buddy with a truck......

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Why don't you just go to Home Depot and rent the truck? Seems that this would make more sense. Or find a buddy with a truck......
The mustang easily hauls a handful of 2x4's. Not something you would want to make a habit of, but renting a truck for three 2x4's is overkill.
Sponsored