Sponsored

To Those With Aftermarket Pedals

N123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium
Hello All. I am a mechanical design engineer by trade. I am looking to take on a new project for the car, and I figured this would be pretty simple. I have all the design and manufacturing tools available for me to do this so I'm gonna give it a shot. Probably will CAD something up and maybe 3d print a practice before I actually cut them.
I am interested in making new pedals/pedal covers for my gas/brake/clutch/dead pedals. Although looking them up there are so many designs, I can't really decide what to base mine off of. So, my question to you guys is, what features do you like about your pedals the most? Should I make them have posts that grip my shoe, or just use grip tape? Are the holes like in the steeda ones worth it?
My favorite contenders are either the roush(https://www.americanmuscle.com/roush-pedal-kit-manual-1516.html?utm_content=Interior%20-%20Pedals%7CRoush&utm_campaign=15%2B%20Years&utm_source=Google-pla&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D&AMID=roush-pedal-kit-manual-1516-GSFitmentV1&year=2015&model=GT&T5_Var3=blue&GID=389815&T5_Var4=389815) or maybe something like the steeda heel toe look cool as well (https://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda-heel-toe-pedals-manual-2015.html). Any feedback would be appreciated!
Sponsored

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
I didn't like the stock pedals because they didn't grip well with certain shoes, especially dress shoes with leather soles and I couldn't heel-toe for the life of me and wanted an extension on the left side in addition to spacers. I ordered some pedals from Ultimate Pedals to remedy the situation.

I ordered mine with a 3/4" extension on the left side of the accelerator to help with heel-toe shifting. You can customize the size of the extension and its position if you want. You can also have them laser-etch a design if you want, but I didn't go that route. They grip pretty well, and fit fine in my car. The domed rubber inserts are alright, but they would sometimes pop out if I wore shoes with a more "aggressive" sole pattern (gym shoes, mostly). I ended up putting them back in with a drop of super glue and they've given me no problems for ~12k miles. The aluminum finish has held up pretty well, and the cross-etched pattern helps with grip as well.

They look a lot like this, except these don't have the extension and I also have the dead pedal cover.
basic_man_7.jpg

In terms of grip, I don't think that having holes without the rubber inserts would really help that much. If I had the tools, time, and skills to make my own, I would probably level out the surface in the center of the pedals, the goal being to have the edges slightly raised (like 1/16") relative to the center (similar to the Roush ones). The edges would be 1/4" wide. I would use a cross-etched pattern on the edges. In the middle of the pedals, I would use grip tape. I drove a friend's car once with grip tape on the pedals, and it was great. Other than that, rubber is probably your best bet, although I would guess it's harder to work with than grip tape.

The only downside to the grip tape would be that you would periodically have to replace it, although I'm not sure how long grip tape lasts. Hope this helps.

Jak112460

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I like the Steeda ones but I don't like the screws offset to the left of the pedal and not centered on the brake pedal. I'm not buying them for that reason. I would like pedals where the screws are incorporated into the design.

OP
OP

N123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium
I like the Steeda ones but I don't like the screws offset to the left of the pedal and not centered on the brake pedal. I'm not buying them for that reason. I would like pedals where the screws are incorporated into the design.
So you'd rather them be centered? Or just have threaded studs on the back so they don't show?

OP
OP

N123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium
I didn't like the stock pedals because they didn't grip well with certain shoes, especially dress shoes with leather soles and I couldn't heel-toe for the life of me and wanted an extension on the left side in addition to spacers. I ordered some pedals from Ultimate Pedals to remedy the situation.

I ordered mine with a 3/4" extension on the left side of the accelerator to help with heel-toe shifting. You can customize the size of the extension and its position if you want. You can also have them laser-etch a design if you want, but I didn't go that route. They grip pretty well, and fit fine in my car. The domed rubber inserts are alright, but they would sometimes pop out if I wore shoes with a more "aggressive" sole pattern (gym shoes, mostly). I ended up putting them back in with a drop of super glue and they've given me no problems for ~12k miles. The aluminum finish has held up pretty well, and the cross-etched pattern helps with grip as well.

They look a lot like this, except these don't have the extension and I also have the dead pedal cover.
basic_man_7.jpg

In terms of grip, I don't think that having holes without the rubber inserts would really help that much. If I had the tools, time, and skills to make my own, I would probably level out the surface in the center of the pedals, the goal being to have the edges slightly raised (like 1/16") relative to the center (similar to the Roush ones). The edges would be 1/4" wide. I would use a cross-etched pattern on the edges. In the middle of the pedals, I would use grip tape. I drove a friend's car once with grip tape on the pedals, and it was great. Other than that, rubber is probably your best bet, although I would guess it's harder to work with than grip tape.

The only downside to the grip tape would be that you would periodically have to replace it, although I'm not sure how long grip tape lasts. Hope this helps.
I do like your idea there and shouldn't be too hard to pull off. Thanks for your input!

Jak112460

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So you'd rather them be centered? Or just have threaded studs on the back so they don't show?
They are probably offset because there is something on the center backside of the pedal so if it has the be that way I would rather have four screws instead of two to the left.
Sponsored