Tired of exhaust options

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Younger member here (22 year old), and your requirements for a somewhat quiet and performance-oriented exhaust is exactly what I was looking for, and found in the Gibson catback I believe.

To my eye it's the quietest least-restrictive exhaust on the market. It maintains the stock diameter piping, and has a single muffler and X-pipe (it just works), and has an awesome deep and mellow tone that I haven't heard on any other EB to date. I think it's an underrated exhaust.

[ame]
Of course the video doesn't translate real life sounds 100%, but I reckon it's not far off.
Sponsored

Bennington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot ecoboost
I like your train of thought. That sounds like a low restriction setup I could go almost that exact route. I have my stock 14 GT mufflers rotting in the attic they flow! I ran a 12.8 with them on. I have to dell on that and see what other thoughts members put forth.
I'm not sure of the fitment of the S197 mufflers, but the S550 GT catback is a complete drop in once you get rid of the resonator. Cost is free to $100. Pipes are 2 1/2" stainless, and the mufflers at least appear to be less restrictive than the stock Ecoboost mufflers. I've yet to see a cut open S550 GT muffler (it's on my to do list) but just by looking down the tip it appears much closer to a straight through muffler than the stock Eco one.

Like you, I've never heard an aftermarket exhaust for the Eco that I could live with. The closest would be the Solo system. If it can't sound good to me then it has to be quiet.

OP
OP
Rick B

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Hi Rick, our Street catback may accomplish what you want The volume is just a step above stock and it deepens the tinny stock sound of the EB while picking up some power at the same time.

http://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=19097
I want a system that's quieter than stock but is low restriction. I've heard all the different combos up close and personal...They are not to my liking at all. I'd rather listen to a whisper than this terrible ecoboost exhaust.

OlTexastang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 VB GT PP1
I want a system that's quieter than stock but is low restriction. I've heard all the different combos up close and personal...They are not to my liking at all. I'd rather listen to a whisper than this terrible ecoboost exhaust.
So that's like wanting 650hp and 36mpg. Restriction= less noise low restriction= more noise. It is what it is so it's either quiet or loud what you are looking for I don't believe you can find. Maybe someone makes a stealth exhaust system I don't know about but if you find one let us know.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rick B

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
I appreciate all the responses and food for thought. The search continues. I will keep this thread up to date regarding my progress

OP
OP
Rick B

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
So that's like wanting 650hp and 36mpg. Restriction= less noise low restriction= more noise. It is what it is so it's either quiet or loud what you are looking for I don't believe you can find. Maybe someone makes a stealth exhaust system I don't know about but if you find one let us know.
Ok. So either you didn't get enough sleep last night or you don't know what your talking about. You pick.

Rick@LASTREETCARS

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lastreetcars.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP - Procharged and Built
I appreciate all the responses and food for thought. The search continues. I will keep this thread up to date regarding my progress
In all honesty...you could get what you want, but you won't find it in a general manufacturers kit or setup. You'll have to custom make the system, with added muffler/resonators/muffled x-pipe, etc.

It will all affect performance though. The quieter you go, and the more you restrict flow. The less performance you will have is the result. You can't get less noise without restriction - and that equates to less performance.

I guess you could theoretically develop a straight pipe system with several Helmholtz chambers to cancel out noise...but you can't get rid of it all for sure, and not sure that multiples in the same stream would even work properly.

OlTexastang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 VB GT PP1
Ok. So either you didn't get enough sleep last night or you don't know what your talking about. You pick.
So you want quieter than stock with less restriction my bad don't know what I was thinking. I'll get some sleep tonight and see if that changes how the exhaust coming out of a motor (loud) can be made quieter than the stock system but less restrictive. The Helmholtz system would be a way to go but depending on how much less restriction you chose to go with your exhaust may end up looking like a centipede. Not to mention the $$$ and added weight. I hope u find what u are looking for I don't disagree with how bad the exhaust sounds I just don't think there are many solutions to what u want outside of spending a lot on a custom Helmholtz system. But good luck.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I have been listening to exhaust clips for EcoBoost for over three years now and have not found an acceptable system, and in my opinion, never will.
My priority for an exhaust is no longer sound and performance.
What I want now is just performance. So what I am pursuing is a "real" low restriction "quiet"exhaust system. The stock system sounds just as bad as the after market brands.
So therefore ,I am looking for suggestions. I know some of you younger members will make negative comments, Go ahead.
I have been meaning to update the catback for better performance and to get the hot exhaust out as efficiently as possible. I don't like having that big suitcase under my ass restricting flow and the stock mufflers are garbage. The EB was recalled for extreme heat so for me it is a matter of safety and having a more efficient design. When it is time to buy a catback I have narrowed it down to several acceptable systems. I am not looking to maintain the stock sound but i don't want to make the car sound like a Honda without mufflers either.

MF, Map are on my short list

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
On my setup, I use a catless downpipe with a Vibrant resonator (straight through with perforated tubing - no hooks) into a couple of Magnaflow mufflers. My setup is straight through but sounds excellent and isn't loud or full of drone. I get compliments all of the time. One guy recently said, "It doesn't sound like a V8, but it doesn't sound like a 4 cylinder either. It's kind of quiet and stealthy until you open it up a little bit and even then it has a clean, deep tone to it." I get asked about it all of the time. I can't imagine I'd see a much of a horsepower loss between my current setup and a straight pipe setup from the downpipe back, and even if I did, a 5-10 hp loss would be more than worth the degradation in sound quality, i.e volume, tone, and drone.
Sponsored