Tinted lights?....cops?

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
Out of curiosity, I wonder how many of our fellow forum members have been involved in an accident where they were rear ended, and the outcome of their claim/lawsuit turned out bad because their rear tail lights were tinted? And let's include everyone who knows a friend, relative, etc. who had this happen.

Anyone? :cheers:
Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Forum members of 22k is statistically insignificant compared to the 216 million drivers in the US alone; even if each person here could possibly name 100 people that had tinted lights.

Any one of the horror stories you can Google should answer that question that is does and HAS happened to people. Risking your car, house (or worse family's/kid's house) assets, etc. to "look cool murdered out" is frankly irresponsible for anyone over 18 years old IMO.

Our own forum: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1484226&postcount=16602

Very true. I know someone who lost a case due to smoked taillights. It was not pretty.
https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/taillight-tint-insurance-problem-505576/#post6261698

I've never understood the desire to darken tail lights. That's just asking for trouble. One of my best friends is STILL having his wages garnished three years after he was rear ended by a guy in a Beamer who happened to be a lawyer. He lost his car and his house as a result, just because his tail lights were darkened. Stupid.
I've seen some pretty damned dark tinted tail lights.

Re: civil suit, what ruined my friend is the fact that the lawyer claimed that just because it meets requirements doesn't mean it's appropriately visible. It won the case for the guy. My friend had a signed statement saying his tinted tails were within regulation.

I shouldn't make such a big deal out of what, in all likelihood, won't happen. I just know a six-figure decision against you can really, really hurt. I'll get off my soapbox now.
Porsche forum:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...cs-got-tint-headlight-tail-lights-done-4.html

I have a buddy who is fighting an insurance claim that was denied because he had tinted tail lights.

He got rear ended, other driver claimed that he couldn't see the lights and that they did not meet DOT standards.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/51-8th-generation/58545-no-tail-light-tint.html

Accord forum:

I have become friends with a tint shop locally. I was in to inquire on the price of a 35% tint of a 2011 BMW X3 3.5 I'm getting my wife. Conversation got around to a person we know who tinted his tail lights and was hit from behind at night. LEO noted it on accident report and insurance company immediately denied both his car and the person who hit him. In addition, the freeloader that hit him is filing suit claiming trauma due to the illegal lights. It will be a mess before it's all over and will cost the guy THOUSANDS.
An in-state (FL) tinting company's own site:

http://stlucietint.com/taillight-tint-vinyl/

*Disclaimer: Check your local laws to see if this is against the law or not. If it is then it’s a non-moving traffic violation and upon removing the film they will more than likely dismiss the ticket. Some insurance agencies can and have denied accident claims due to taillights being tinted. Taillight tint is installed at your own risk and TNT Window Tint cannot and will not be held liable for any citations or accidents caused from having taillight tint.

Last edited:

Westys10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT/CS Convertible A6
St Louis County 2010, kid on a motorcycle rear ends a truck using Niteshades. Guy with the truck had an acquaintance "pass" his vehicle through state inspection, so it was technically "legal". Kid on the motorcycle sued the maker of nightshades for close to $30m, and lost. However, the driver or the truck and the mechanic who "passed" the vehicle were on the hook for $1.8m

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
St Louis County 2010, kid on a motorcycle rear ends a truck using Niteshades. Guy with the truck had an acquaintance "pass" his vehicle through state inspection, so it was technically "legal". Kid on the motorcycle sued the maker of nightshades for close to $30m, and lost. However, the driver or the truck and the mechanic who "passed" the vehicle were on the hook for $1.8m
There seems to be a risk. I'll accept that risk and keep the light Big Worm Graphix's tint on mine. If mine were "murdered out" dark, I would remove them altogether or go with a light tint. But that's what I did to begin with b/c 1.) I don't like the "murdered out" look, and 2.) having them "murdered out" is too risky.

Here's an older pic with the taillights on that I took shortly after installing the light tint.
IMG_0075.jpg

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
Just took a pic with the brake lights on. I think they're visible from 500 feet and probably further.
IMG_0639.jpg

Sponsored

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
Whats your window tint?
35% if I remember right. I think that's the darkest you're supposed to "legally" have in Texas. But of course I see cars with much darker tint. :cheers:

OP
OP
Stormtrooper5.0

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
All this talk of attorneys, lawyers, and claims. I think I'm just gonna hold off on the light tint lol.

My car already looks pretty good with the black wheels and tinted windows. Plus when the officer pulled me over for speeding last year he didn't even mention my window tint, he just mentioned that I was fat and speeding. Not worth the trouble even though that tint looks so damn good. Thanks for the input.

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Seems like taillight tint isn't really worth what MIGHT happen. Ive never been a fan of tinted taillights in the first place. I remember back in the late 80s I had some GTS plastic headlight covers on my 89 Mazda pickup. Now THOSE were dark and the headllights were WAY less bright than factory. I also remember guys actually spray tinting there taillights damn near totally black. I couldnt believe any light got through some of them.

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
All this talk of attorneys, lawyers, and claims. I think I'm just gonna hold off on the light tint lol.

My car already looks pretty good with the black wheels and tinted windows. Plus when the officer pulled me over for speeding last year he didn't even mention my window tint, he just mentioned that I was fat and speeding. Not worth the trouble even though that tint looks so damn good. Thanks for the input.
That's certainly the safest course of action, Hertz. The Big Worm tint that I have is really not that dark. So I'm leaving it on.

And I'm assuming a long term benefit of the tint on the head lights, in addition to any kind of aesthetic value that one places on it, is that it protects the plastic lenses from rock chips and that darn awful UV fading that you see on the head lights of older cars that obviously have sat out in the Sun. I imagine if I pulled the tint off my head lights, the lenses would look brand new. :cheers:
Sponsored