Sponsored

Temp plate law in California. How long can i have them on the car?

RushGotti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If a cop pulls you over he can see that the DMV issued you a plate and give you a citation for it.

I got a ticket within the first couple of weeks that I bought the car, DMV had sent my plates out (But they hadn't arrived at my house yet) and I still got a ticket for it.
Sponsored

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red
How long can you rock dealer plates after buying the car?
I just got the car and my plates came in the mail really early. I like having no plates because i dont need to drill my front plate to the car. The front looks so much cleaner without it.
I tried Google but didnt find anything. :cheers:
No limit as long as you dont get pulled over. I've had mine on for almost 4 months now. I received my license plates 3 1/2 months ago but never put them on because I ordered a personalized plate which hasn't shown up.

I haven't run a front licence plate in California for 15 years now. The caveat is my car is garaged at home & at work. I NEVER park on the street. When I go out on the weekends I pay to park in private garages or parking lots out of view from cops.

That front bumper is way too beautiful to drill. Don't do it. Pay the money for one of those hide away licence plate holders.

pockama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 MBZ G65AMG, 2016 Ford GT, 2016 RR PHANTOM
Guys,
as soon as you receive the plates you have to install them. Few days to "schedule" an appointment with the dealer to install them is OK.
On the vehicle registration you have the lic. plates numbers.
How long can you drive with temp plates? Till you get caught on traffic or parking violation, don't pay the bridge toll or the cop knows you.

Yetitime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Pak
I will pay the fines before I drill holes and put a front plate on. I went 6 years with my last one.

francisco511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I've been driving mine for 19 months with dealer plates. If I get pulled over I'll just say I went to a car show and didn't want my plates displayed.

Sponsored

D12DirtyDozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V6
I had temp plates on my old car for about 6 years.
Got pulled over a couple times. That's an easy way to get pulled over (along with tint) so be careful that you're not drinking and driving

me and mustang r50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT, 355 auto black trim
I asked my LAPD neighbor, he says 60 days. I just got my plate is the mail last week too. Still haven't put them on. I'm probably not putting the front on. I've been counting cars on the 405 and it's fair to say roughly 1 out of 10 cars don't have a plate.

Meraki Autoworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Hmm.. 18 months and counting for one of our vehicles, 12 months and counting for another one, and 3 months and counting for another one... :D

They're all modified vehicles too with exhausts and all that..

-Josh
Sponsored