Sponsored

Tell me why certain wheel spacers are safe on track

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I am always curious why you can't just buy wheels with the correct offset. Do the wheel manufacturers only make a wheel to fit the rear or front? Honest question, not trying to be a smart ass.
This topic is always causing a lot of debate over something that has a number of benefits with no downsides. To name a few:
1) ability to rotate tires front-back without taking them off the rims
2) what OP mentioned regarding tire damage and chassis tuning
3) as soon as you set proper track camber up front, your stock 255 wheels will look terribly tucked into the fenders. 25mm spacers will fix that perfectly
4) if you have PP1, you can buy two 10in replica PP1 wheels from American Muscle dirt cheap, and have proper rotatable and square wheel setup for street.
5) You never need to take the spacer off for all of that.
6) it helps same lots of money in long run

Just get proper spacers and studs from Tim OPMustang, install them once and enjoy a ton more flexibility with the wheels and tires choices. If you don't want to drive with spacers all the time, just take them off, but I am pretty sure you won't want to.

All of it is irrelevant if you don't plan to go beyond 285 tire size.
Sponsored

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Can't speak for any other sanctioning bodies but the SCCA allows wheels spacers. If they don't I have been breaking that rule for over 30 years.

I've used both styles of spacer with no issues. I think safety or the lack of safety comes down to materials, quality studs and having everything hub-centric. Between the two styles, I don't like the bolt on type because they create a maintenance event. However, I am currently using bolt on spacers on my RX7 road race car. On my 2017 GT I am using 25MM slip on spacers from MMR (they look like the APEX spacers pictured earlier) so I can run 19x11 wheels front and back on my Mustang. So far they are just fine.

The bolt on spacers being used on my 1st generation RX7 convert the lug pattern from a 4x114.3mm to a 4x100mm. There is a considerable difference in weight between 4x114.3 wheels and 4x100 wheels and there are more offsets available. The spacers also allow me to run the same 15x8 wheel front and back which saves money on wheels and tires.

Because the eBay specials I was seeing seemed dubious, I had a set made by www.SanteFeGarage.com using USA 6061 billet and ARP studs. They also made billet sleeves so that everything is hub-centric. I have been using the spacers since 2017, had the car over 130 and driven off course more than I like to admit. Before having them built I did some research and noted the same setup on a Pro Sicon Time-Attack car that is way faster than my turd

1683503688321.png

They're are on this car.

1683504035147.png