HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The batteries of our 2016 GT and 2013 ATS were showing their age and I replaced them both in the last 3 weeks. I guess GM uses better batteries. The Mustang battery had already been replaced once under warranty.

The ATS has the battery in the trunk (helps with the 50/50 weight distribution). And a LOT of stuff has to be removed to get to it. Only an extension for the positive terminal is accessible without removing a bunch of cosmetic and other parts. So I decided to install the ATS battery myself to avoid the $50 extra charge for all that and to avoid ticking time bombs from any mistakes buried far from view.

When at the point of shoehorning the new battery into its cave, I noticed the new battery was AGM and did not have a nipple for a vent hose. The original battery did have a down facing nipple molded into a battery top overhang and a vent hose attached to the car.

When I returned the factory battery for the core, I asked about that and the tech showed me a small hole on the same model battery I just installed where a nipple could be inserted and I asked if I needed to get an L nipple, install it and hook up the vent hose. He said they only leave a place for a nipple for old-schoolers but there is no need for a vent hose with the latest AGM batteries.

On the one hand, I can't see a motive for a senior tech to lie to me, but on the other hand I have dash-cam video of a Ford dealer top tech taking 5 minutes to figure out how to get my MGW shifter into reverse, so techs aren't necessarily geniuses.

Anyone know if the tech is right? Either way, looks like I was right to install it myself because his comment means they likely wouldn't have added a nipple and hooked up the vent.
Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The batteries of our 2016 GT and 2013 ATS were showing their age and I replaced them both in the last 3 weeks. I guess GM uses better batteries. The Mustang battery had already been replaced once under warranty.
I've had my Mustang since May 2015 and just replaced the original battery this past August. Not bad I don't think all though the battery in my 2013 Escape lasted six years before I replaced it.