sun roof air bag

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
https://jalopnik.com/this-new-airbag-will-make-sure-you-dont-get-tossed-out-1819951142

Cool idea. Wonder if this could be adapted to a convertible top?

Has anyone been in a roll over in a convertible? It's kinda sat on the back of my mind ever since getting one.

Isn't the height of the windshield + the angle of the windshield to the end of the car supposed to be strong enough to support the weight of the car on top of it? Or is that a falsity.
Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
https://jalopnik.com/this-new-airbag-will-make-sure-you-dont-get-tossed-out-1819951142

Cool idea. Wonder if this could be adapted to a convertible top?

Has anyone been in a roll over in a convertible? It's kinda sat on the back of my mind ever since getting one.

Isn't the height of the windshield + the angle of the windshield to the end of the car supposed to be strong enough to support the weight of the car on top of it? Or is that a falsity.
You are going 60 or 70 and flip... do you think the "standard" seat belts and windshield will help? Sorry, you are going to die. Don't worry about it... same as on a motorcycle... fall at 60 or 70.

Update your will so you don't leave your family with a mess...

Convertible is higher risk.

You can drive around in bubble wrap and helmet.... if you are that worried. Post videos... :D

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
You are going 60 or 70 and flip... do you think the "standard" seat belts and windshield will help?
Yes?

Seatbelt to keep you in your seat, pre-tentioners to keep you further in place. A pillar is built stronger to take the weight of the car.

There's a reason why old 'verts had really small A pillars and no new verts do, they're built to take the weight of the car in a roll over.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
You are going 60 or 70 and flip... do you think the "standard" seat belts and windshield will help? Sorry, you are going to die. Don't worry about it... same as on a motorcycle... fall at 60 or 70.

Update your will so you don't leave your family with a mess...

Convertible is higher risk.

You can drive around in bubble wrap and helmet.... if you are that worried. Post videos... :D
Not sure that is wholly true, it will be worse but not instant death. if the car is rolling and lands on its wheels then the windshield should provide a reasonable amount of protection for front seat occupants (not saying it will protect you, but it has a chance). If the car lands and skids upside down then it will not be good and you will have to be lucky. Also our cars have pretty good braking, and I like to believe that I am an observant driver, so I feel reasonably confident that in most scenarios I can either avoid an accident (have done so many times by being observant) or can anticipate a collision and slow my car down below the 60-70MPH "death zone" before the actual accident.

Before buying my wife and I did research and statistics show that occupants in a convertible have no worse death or injury rate than occupants in a non-convertible over the past 15 years. This was not broken down though, as convertibles (with the lower bracing and lower center of gravity) have a lower chance of flipping and there are fewer so they may not have the volume of data to show any significantly low error bars in the numbers. So I was not able to find whether occupants in a convertible have more or less survival rate in a rollover accident in particular, that data did not seem to be available.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
That being said, I am not sure that any sort of an upper airbag will help the situation out, I do wish that there was some sort of "pop up" roll-over protection system. As my kids grow, and their heads exceed the back seat height, I will become less comfortable with them riding in my car for sure...

Sponsored

IL_G6_Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
plenty of people die in fixed roof vehicles everyday. When it's your time to, its time to go.

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
This past Saturday a 12-year-old boy jumped off an Interstate overpass, landed on a Ford Escape and killed the driver instantly. Sometimes even a steel frame and roof aren't enough. The boy survived but is in critical condition.

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
That being said, I am not sure that any sort of an upper airbag will help the situation out, I do wish that there was some sort of "pop up" roll-over protection system. As my kids grow, and their heads exceed the back seat height, I will become less comfortable with them riding in my car for sure...
Here in Australia the Mustang got a 2 out of 5 star ANCAP rating, they don't test rollover but the poor rating was due to poor back seat child protection mainly, along with lacking nannies (lane departure warning, etc.)

If back seat child safety is a big concern, IMO a Mustang isn't the right car.

http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/ford/mustang/c7fccc
Sponsored