Sponsored

Suggestions on Orbital Polisher and Polishes?

B0SS603

@dib_5.0
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacques
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
When it comes to car detailing I'm not a complete novice and have been two bucket washing and hand waxing/sealing for a few years now. However, after having my car exterior detailed last November for $200 and not being too pleased with the outcome months later (swirls and slight scratches galore) I have decided to invest my money more wisely and get an Orbital Polisher and products to do the job myself.

I would love some input on quality products that won't break the bank. Ideally I'd like to be in the $200-$300 range which should preferably include Polisher, some pads, and polishing products that way I'm good to go out of the box.

I have done some searching and have found the kits below.

Chemical Guys: I know people have mixed opinions about these guys but I have used some of their products without issue. So naturally that's where I looked first. I know this kit doesn't include any waxes or polishes so I'd obviously need to add those in. Was looking at the VSS Polish they sell as well as possibly Jet Seal and Wet Butter Wax.

Adam's Polishes: Never used them but heard nothing but fantastic things. This kit looks pretty complete minus the wax and sealant.

Any other brands/kits you guys can recommend? I'm obviously open to a-la-cart shopping as well as long as I can keep it in that range preferably.
Sponsored

Last edited:

702TrafficCone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
Check out Jax Wax. I've got some buddies that are now the west coast distributor for them and I've used their products and it's simple and works amazing. www.vegasjaxwax.com

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I bought the adams kit with the porta cable polisher.Kit had everything,correcting polish and finishing polish and pads needed.I did add an micro fiber orange pad incase i needed a little more cutting power.The price for this kit was awesome and the porta cable even though discontinued now is one of the most used polishers.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Every "kit" comes with a ton of crap you don't need and is hugely padded with margins from the manufacturer. Kits aren't designed to help you as much as they are designed to pad the bottom lines of the people selling them because they are much higher margin.

To combat the swirls and polish out your finish, you really don't need much more than:

PC7424
Meg's 105 and 205 polishing compounds
a couple of pads (you can go MF, you can go foam, whatever you'd like. I use MF)
Clay and clay lube (make your own with optimum no-rinse car wash)
something to seal it all up with, such as a ceramic coating or a high quality synthetic sealant

From there, you would only need to address your preferences or specific areas of concern to get products that will meet your budget. Posting those specifics (water spots on glass/trim, scratch in this surface, discoloration here) will aid in product recommendations as well as pictures.

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Every "kit" comes with a ton of crap you don't need and is hugely padded with margins from the manufacturer. Kits aren't designed to help you as much as they are designed to pad the bottom lines of the people selling them because they are much higher margin.

To combat the swirls and polish out your finish, you really don't need much more than:

PC7424
Meg's 105 and 205 polishing compounds
a couple of pads (you can go MF, you can go foam, whatever you'd like. I use MF)
Clay and clay lube (make your own with optimum no-rinse car wash)
something to seal it all up with, such as a ceramic coating or a high quality synthetic sealant

From there, you would only need to address your preferences or specific areas of concern to get products that will meet your budget. Posting those specifics (water spots on glass/trim, scratch in this surface, discoloration here) will aid in product recommendations as well as pictures.
I agree with PatrickGT....Thats really all you need. Plus a little time to do it. I to prefer MF pads over foam for any paint correction...Im going to try Buff-n-Shines Euro-fiber MF pads when they come in.

Sponsored

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
Porter Cable buffer and Zaino products. Love them both.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I've used the Harbor Freight DA Buffer for over 3 years now and never had an issue with it, paid 60$ for it.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-57-amp-heavy-duty-dual-action-variable-speed-polisher-69924.html

I use M105 and M205 for my cars, does the job needed and you can pick it up at a bricks n mortar store.
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirror-Glaze-Finishing-Polish/dp/B001O7PNXC
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirror-Glaze-Ultra-Cut-Compound/dp/B001O7PNW8

For clay, I would suggest investing in a form of nanoskin claying. It saves A LOT of time over the old way of claying. You can get it as hand mitts, buffing pads, sponges, it works good.
https://www.amazon.com/Nanoskin-AS-...rd_wg=PJsTj&psc=1&refRID=SG6SWH9F39GHY48Z5345

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
When it comes to car detailing I'm not a complete novice and have been two bucket washing and hand waxing/sealing for a few years now. However, after having my car exterior detailed last November for $200 and not being too pleased with the outcome months later (swirls and slight scratches galore) I have decided to invest my money more wisely and get an Orbital Polisher and products to do the job myself.

I would love some input on quality products that won't break the bank. Ideally I'd like to be in the $200-$300 range which should preferably include Polisher, some pads, and polishing products that way I'm good to go out of the box.

I have done some searching and have found the kits below.

Chemical Guys: I know people have mixed opinions about these guys but I have used some of their products without issue. So naturally that's where I looked first. I know this kit doesn't include any waxes or polishes so I'd obviously need to add those in. Was looking at the VSS Polish they sell as well as possibly Jet Seal and Wet Butter Wax.

Adam's Polishes: Never used them but heard nothing but fantastic things. This kit looks pretty complete minus the wax and sealant.

Any other brands/kits you guys can recommend? I'm obviously open to a-la-cart shopping as well as long as I can keep it in that range preferably.
Meguiar's Ultimate compound with a rotary machine. I use this one. It works very well and has stood up to a couple of years of use: http://www.harborfreight.com/7-in-10-amp-variable-speed-polisher-60626.html

Meguiar's Ultimate Polish applied with a DA. I use one from Cyclo I have had for almost 20 years: http://www.cyclotoolmakers.com/polishers.php. It is VERY well made and is a bulletproof machine.

For sealing or waxing after polish I use a number of things depending on my mood. All work well:
Malco Cherry Flash
Meguiar's Yellow #26
DoDo Juice Supernatural

John

ColdShotxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT A10 300A Base
I just spend the day with a 7424, lake country orange pads, and meguiars ultimate compound. It cut great and finished as a standalone great as well.

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
Honestly, if you're going to get serious with it, pickup a Flex 3401 or Rupes 21 . I've owned all there of the "big" polishers; PC7424, Flex 3401 and Rupes 21. My Flex was a huge upgrade to my PC, as was my Rupes to the Flex. IMO the Flex is perfect for someone who wants a quality polisher but doesn't want to spend the extra $$ on a Rupes. The biggest difference is the time saving. I can do a job that my PC could do in 6 hours in about 3 with my Rupes. Other factors come into play as well such as comfortability, hand numbing etc. Areas the PC really sucked in.

I have a used Flex 3401 I'd sell if you are interested. Just PM me.

Sponsored

ohmsmcgee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
11 Raptor, 15 GT-PP, 16 RZR XPT
Honestly, if you're going to get serious with it, pickup a Flex 3401 or Rupes 21 . I've owned all there of the "big" polishers; PC7424, Flex 3401 and Rupes 21. My Flex was a huge upgrade to my PC, as was my Rupes to the Flex. IMO the Flex is perfect for someone who wants a quality polisher but doesn't want to spend the extra $$ on a Rupes. The biggest difference is the time saving. I can do a job that my PC could do in 6 hours in about 3 with my Rupes. Other factors come into play as well such as comfortability, hand numbing etc. Areas the PC really sucked in.

I have a used Flex 3401 I'd sell if you are interested. Just PM me.
How is the Rupes twice as fast? Is it spinning faster so your passes can be faster?

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
How is the Rupes twice as fast? Is it spinning faster so your passes can be faster?
It's not a faster RPM, it's more of so the power. The Rupes/Flex will keep the higher speeds without bogging down as much as cheaper DA's. They are both (Flex and Rupes) a lot more smooth feeling as well. Their hand placement areas are also a huge improvement over cheaper DAs.

OP
OP
B0SS603

B0SS603

@dib_5.0
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacques
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll take a look at all of these and make a decision within the month. Won't really be able to detail my car until this summer as rain storms seem to come every week now.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Meguiars 105/205 are just fine for most to use; not beginer from Walmart and not super expensive high end. Menzerna is also makes good compounds and polishes; and they aren't super expensive. Maybe a few more bucks than Meguiars.

The Porter Cable is a good machine; some say the Griot's or Harbor Freight are ok, but may be a bit less powerful. That I cannot say. I have the PC and works great.

I've never been a fan of Chemical Guys anything. Everytime I hear them talk it's pitching something and bad deja vu of Billy Mays. They just seem so cheesy to me that I dont bother with their stuff.

Most Meguiars stuff is good anyway.
Sponsored