Sponsored

Stocks?

NRMStand

Anyone here do any stock trading or investing?

I'm always wondering what the average joe is doing with their spare money/savings. I dabble a little of the kid's future college fund in some stocks of companies that I'm familiar with (Google, Amazon, IBM, and of course, Ford!)

Been using Scottrade but may move my funds over to Interactive Brokers since I hear they have insanely cheap commissions and rates.

Anyone else?
Sponsored

OP
OP

JackHoya

Anyone here do any stock trading or investing?

I'm always wondering what the average joe is doing with their spare money/savings. I dabble a little of the kid's future college fund in some stocks of companies that I'm familiar with (Google, Amazon, IBM, and of course, Ford!)

Been using Scottrade but may move my funds over to Interactive Brokers since I hear they have insanely cheap commissions and rates.

Anyone else?
Dude, Scottrade is crap. It's for your typical sucker home gamer (no offense). Use IB or OptionsHouse. Cheap commissions, although you don't get as much hand holding. Be careful with OH though, their system is not set up to automatically prevent margin trades that violate certain FINRA rules.

As for stocks, gotta go with the banks right now (JPM, C, WF, BAC) - super cheap, many trading under book value, and with markets at all-time highs, they're the ones benefiting the most.

OP
OP

TradeStepan

I'm not invested or anything but didnt the market hit all time high or something this week? Maybe i should have been invested hah.

Economy still crappy no? Why the all time high then?

Nukem High

Threads
Reaction score
Half a year later and yes, the economy still sucks. But the market is doing well.

I have my little nest egg fund in some funds. A few lottery ticket penny stocks too - a potash company. It'll take some discipline to not raid it for mods for the S550 :)

Sponsored

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
digging up a thread from 2013. Any stock traders left? lol

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
As part of my Retirement portfolio I had 4 stocks, 40% Apple, 20% Disney, 20% PNC Bank, 20% Johnson & Johnson.

Virus ruined Disney and PNC Bank which I sold at slight profit. I also sold Johnson & Johnson (all their cancer lawsuits against them were horrifying to me) at a slight profit.

I still have the Apple stock, a god send for me, say want you want about the company but I made a boat load of money on it to this point. Of course I bought my shares a long time ago when they weren't so crazy valued.

TC

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I can't believe it took me this long in life to get interested in the market. The worst thing i ever did was leave money with Charles Schwabb all those years. The market is a beautiful place.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Oh don't go nuclear on us,
or maybe you should?
I can't believe it took me this long in life to get interested in the market. The worst thing i ever did was leave money with Charles Schwabb all those years. The market is a beautiful place.
Fossils are being shown the door

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Banked $2600 today. Up nearly $10k in the past 2 weeks.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck ....

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
What do you guys think of Polar Power?

https://www.google.com/search?q=pol...rome..69i57.3902j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I invested some money last year when it was like $3 per share. Its not $11.52. I feel like with Biden being elected, more states that will follow the banning of ICE cars in 2030, and the push towards electrification will show a promising look for them. I'm new to investing, so I don't really know how it'll play out.

I found out about them when I was on Investopedia researching. I have a 30% unrealized gain which is the highest its ever been for a company. I think I will invest another $1,000 sometime this year if they continue to do well.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=pol...rome..69i57.3902j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I invested some money last year when it was like $3 per share. Its not $11.52. I feel like with Biden being elected, more states that will follow the banning of ICE cars in 2030, and the push towards electrification will show a promising look for them. I'm new to investing, so I don't really know how it'll play out.

I found out about them when I was on Investopedia researching. I have a 30% unrealized gain which is the highest its ever been for a company. I think I will invest another $1,000 sometime this year if they continue to do well.
In with EV... in with military. Not sure what the competition is in that market but it looks promising.

Let us know how that works out!

When the market is up like it is now, almost everyone is successful.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP

IMO don't waste time looking for low value stocks IF there are better companies in the same industry. The reason Pola Power is up is because of the Biden news pump to the renewable energy industries. I made a better return with ARRY then got out because pumps are dumps, e.g. I get in on the news pump, make money, then dump as the market reacts to other factors. But if I'm buying on a news pump I usually go to some of the strongest companies benefitting from the pump and avoid the smaller players. In the case of renewable energy stocks I made note of good companies with a lot of reach and I will watch those closely as I anticipate in the next year their earnings to grow exponentially. If they do, I will jump back in for the long run. This is just one of the ways I chase stocks. You certainly have the right idea - stay ahead of the trends (as much as possible). I believe solar is going to be good in the last two quarters of the year as sales ramp up.

HiTekExec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500; 2021 Mach-e GT Performance
IMO don't waste time looking for low value stocks IF there are better companies in the same industry. ... You certainly have the right idea - stay ahead of the trends (as much as possible). I believe solar is going to be good in the last two quarters of the year as sales ramp up.
I've never had the time to be successful trying to time market trends; that's why I keep some investments with a good mutual funds manager. For the most part though, I pick solid stocks that I know will be there for the long haul, and just keep investing in them and don't play to the daily up/down market fears; good stocks will always rebound and continue steady growth, and if you don't sell when wall street clutches their pearls you haven't truly "lost" anything.
Sponsored