OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
It's not hard. I've fixed a few things unplugging and replugging plus before! Haha.
LOL. Yeah...sad isn't it? It is almost like the torque sensor has a dead spot, but that Oasis report about the diff pushing the car due to a bad tire was interesting. I'll know tomorrow when I drive it if it starts holding right turns instead.
Sponsored

Fausted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
GT Prem
Still haven't mentioned this to the dealer, I'm just assuming they will play the same game they are playing with you. I recently went and stayed in the mountains (North Carolina) and did some runs on the dragon... Hell I should just bring it to a dealership there the next time i'm up there, you can literally feel it constantly on those winding roads. Here in Florida (Pretty much straight flat roads everywhere), I can feel it when I make left turns that require me to keep the wheel in that position for a few seconds like you mentioned.

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Still haven't mentioned this to the dealer, I'm just assuming they will play the same game they are playing with you. I recently went and stayed in the mountains (North Carolina) and did some runs on the dragon... Hell I should just bring it to a dealership there the next time i'm up there, you can literally feel it constantly on those winding roads. Here in Florida (Pretty much straight flat roads everywhere), I can feel it when I make left turns that require me to keep the wheel in that position for a few seconds like you mentioned.
Yeah, that's exactly what mine does. It will stay in the corner on it's own, but only if you've held the wheel there for a few seconds. My local dealership sat down with me and went through Oasis looking for similar cases after my car refused to do it when the tech got in the passenger seat.

The closest thing we could find was another fella who had a PP car that was doing something similar, and his ended up being a bad belt in one of his rear tires. I swapped my rear tires last night, and didn't notice it doing anything this morning, so we'll see...

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I've had a similar issue with my 2016 GT. I noticed it right away, within days of taking delivery. When making a left hand turn the steering "hangs" / gets "stuck" until I input some force back towards center then it behaves normally. It only does this on left turns, and under all kinds of conditions including left turns from a stop, rolling left turns, parking lot maneuvers (left only). However, it doesn't do it every single time. It was a bit unnerving the first few times it happened, but I have gotten pretty used to it and expect it now.

I added it to the list of things to check over when I took it in for its first oil change / service. The tech was not able to replicate the issue after several days of having the car. When I had to take it to another dealer shortly after, they could not replicate it either. Which was odd, since it happened often enough that a few left only trips around the dealership block should have statistically produced it several times.

They gave me the typical "everything is normal" / "we can't replicate the issue" line as well. So I figured that it will either get better (de-burr any rough gears) or worse (increased electrical failure) as the miles rack up and so I just kept driving it. It still does it seemingly randomly. However, the other day it did something new that is closer to your experiences. I was driving on straight paved road that was a little rough. Eventually, I found that I had to add about 10-15 degrees correction to the right in order to keep it going straight. I over compensated several times to quickly snap it back to the center of the lane as well. The first few times it kept on misbehaving, but eventually straightened out. I figured that was weird, but dismissed it as perhaps an unnoticed slope in the road or something. But then later that day (separate ignition cycle), it did something similar except that the car assumed a much harder left. Almost enough to correctly track through a left hand turn. Snapping the wheel to the right changed the car's mind and it began tracking straight again. Good thing these two incidents occurred only at a low speed.

At one time I wondered if perhaps it was related to the geometry of the suspension and something there binding up, but I can't determine what conditions will reliably replicate it. I have also had the tires rotated and it still occurs randomly but still only on left turns, so I'm not sure it will manifest itself enough to have a dealer tech take note and diagnose the issue. Of course, the day after the warranty expires it will become a permanent condition...

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
I've had a similar issue with my 2016 GT. I noticed it right away, within days of taking delivery. When making a left hand turn the steering "hangs" / gets "stuck" until I input some force back towards center then it behaves normally. It only does this on left turns, and under all kinds of conditions including left turns from a stop, rolling left turns, parking lot maneuvers (left only). However, it doesn't do it every single time. It was a bit unnerving the first few times it happened, but I have gotten pretty used to it and expect it now.

I added it to the list of things to check over when I took it in for its first oil change / service. The tech was not able to replicate the issue after several days of having the car. When I had to take it to another dealer shortly after, they could not replicate it either. Which was odd, since it happened often enough that a few left only trips around the dealership block should have statistically produced it several times.

They gave me the typical "everything is normal" / "we can't replicate the issue" line as well. So I figured that it will either get better (de-burr any rough gears) or worse (increased electrical failure) as the miles rack up and so I just kept driving it. It still does it seemingly randomly. However, the other day it did something new that is closer to your experiences. I was driving on straight paved road that was a little rough. Eventually, I found that I had to add about 10-15 degrees correction to the right in order to keep it going straight. I over compensated several times to quickly snap it back to the center of the lane as well. The first few times it kept on misbehaving, but eventually straightened out. I figured that was weird, but dismissed it as perhaps an unnoticed slope in the road or something. But then later that day (separate ignition cycle), it did something similar except that the car assumed a much harder left. Almost enough to correctly track through a left hand turn. Snapping the wheel to the right changed the car's mind and it began tracking straight again. Good thing these two incidents occurred only at a low speed.

At one time I wondered if perhaps it was related to the geometry of the suspension and something there binding up, but I can't determine what conditions will reliably replicate it. I have also had the tires rotated and it still occurs randomly but still only on left turns, so I'm not sure it will manifest itself enough to have a dealer tech take note and diagnose the issue. Of course, the day after the warranty expires it will become a permanent condition...
That's not a bad way to describe what mine does, although the turn has to be pretty gentle for it to stick. And it doesn't always do it. I had a run there where it was doing it all the time, but that ended when i left it with the dealership. I too have had mine try to take a left on me, twice actually. Both times snapping the wheel right fixed the problem.

I can't rotate my tires though, I have a PP car. Best I can do is swap sides. I did that on the front the day I noticed it, which made no difference, but I just tried the rear. I haven't noticed anything much yet, but if it starts "sticking" right, I'll be really happy and replace the rear tires.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
So I've had my rear tires swapped for a few days now, and the sticking steering has NOT returned. What it has done on occasion is pull left (enough to climb the crown on the road) like a standard bad alignment, but nothing like it's been doing with the steering holding a turn.

If this continues to be the case, after a couple of weeks I'll take the rear tires into a shop with a road force balancer to see if we can spot a problem. I swore the car did this with the OEM tires on it, but now I'm starting to question my memory. I haven't had it go this long without the steering hanging since the problem started.

I'll report back in a week or two. And I'll be very happy if a bad tire is the problem.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Im not in love with the electric steering rack on my car, I can saw the wheel back and forth and feel a dead spot to the left, never when driving just low speed quickly L/R on the wheel.

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I have wondered if my issues is also a dead spot in the unit. It may occur randomly, but it seems to be in a similar position. That's what originally lead me to think that perhaps there was a manufacturing burr on the rack or a less than perfect spot in the boost motor. Seems it may have worn in a bit, or I am just better prepared mentally to deal with it. Usually when sweeping past the "Sticky spot" is doesn't happen, only when stopping the wheel at just the right position it hangs until I move it off that spot. I'm still keeping an eye on it. It's about time for my second oil change so I'll try mentioning things discussed here (like the SAS calibration). I've also wondered if it may be related to why my traction control and electronic stability control have been letting me get away with all kinds of stuff... I've only noticed it blink the indicator once and plenty of times I've broken traction and even sustained some minor side slides through left hand turns. Is that normal behavior? Does it sense that I'm breaking the rules on purpose (through throttle and steering inputs) and allows it to continue just under the threshold for correction in normal driving mode?

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Well, mine did it again this morning. I jostled the wheel a bit after it started just to see if that would prevent it from sticking, but it didn't. Again, sticking on gradual lefts. I didn't get a chance to try a gradual right as I didn't drive through one after it started.

I'll keep playing with it, see if I can characterize any kind of rhyme or reason to the behavior. But right now I'm kinda stuck..two dealerships and both times I went in with it, it stopped the behavior. Sounds funny to say, but maybe with some luck it'll get worse..lol.
Sponsored