Sponsored

Steeda Rear Upper Shock Mount Install (Video)

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Install Video for the Steeda rear shock mounts...

I followed the instructions to the letter but ended up doing the job twice because the instructions are wrong:(

Something just didn't look right so I contacted Steeda USA, and they put me right:thumbsup:

[ame]
Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Excellent. Enjoyed that :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Enoch

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Lovely thanks Enoch! I've tagged this on the end of our review blog post if you dont mind.. 8) :cheers::clap2::thumbsup:
No problem Robbie:)

Might be worth reviewing the instructions, to make it clear that on a standard shock, the little spacer must be removed and replaced with the one in the kit...

If you stack one on top of the other as the instructions imply, it could be a safety issue....

See photo below... This is the WRONG way.. The end of the shock is only poking through by a few mm:(

When done correctly it sticks through a lot further, and obviously the bolt has more thread so is more secure..

SidewaysMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
WOW

So mine are installed wrong!

Just to verify the ring on top of the oem shock silver shaft needs to be removed?

It felt pretty solid, what did you use to get it off?

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Enoch

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
So mine are installed wrong!

Just to verify the ring on top of the oem shock silver shaft needs to be removed?

It felt pretty solid, what did you use to get it off?
Yes Mike....if the original ring is left in place it's WRONG:doh:

The ring is a press fit, and there are a couple of ways to remove it...

I used a small puller on one, and on the other I opened the vice just enough to put the shock shaft in BUT WITHOUT CLAMPING IT..... then the ring was just resting on the top of the vice.. I then refitted the original nut and tapped the top of it with a hammer.... I'll try an demonstrate with a few pics:cheers:

I'm using a bolt to represent the shock spindle...:) just rest the spacer on the jaws

Or a puller.....personally I'd use a vice, just don't grip the spindle, and it'll work fine, the spacer isn't that tight a fit

Last edited:

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
The US team say three things:

1. Thanks! great vid
2. US cars dont appear to have the slim spacer
3. Instructions will be updated to reflect both possibilities.

:cheers:

OP
OP
Enoch

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)

1. Thanks! great vid

Maybe because our cars have different shocks perhaps:shrug::)

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways

1. Thanks! great vid

did they check against PP cars or non-pp cars in the states ?

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Detailed advice again :thumbsup:
How does that sling work to line up the top bolt holes, is it to compress the shock if needed?

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
looks like its just to keep one side compressed to allow him to stick a screwdriver through the other side to pry that down and onto it lock point then once one side is locked in release the strap and repeat on other side.

SidewaysMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Yes Mike....if the original ring is left in place it's WRONG:doh:

The ring is a press fit, and there are a couple of ways to remove it...

I used a small puller on one, and on the other I opened the vice just enough to put the shock shaft in BUT WITHOUT CLAMPING IT..... then the ring was just resting on the top of the vice.. I then refitted the original nut and tapped the top of it with a hammer.... I'll try an demonstrate with a few pics:cheers:

I'm using a bolt to represent the shock spindle...:) just rest the spacer on the jaws

Or a puller.....personally I'd use a vice, just don't grip the spindle, and it'll work fine, the spacer isn't that tight a fit
Thanks Enoch! So very helpful! Now I'm dreading getting the Steeda bolt off again as I torqued the life out of it to stop coming loose.

As always love the videos!!! Keep them coming :)

FYI I have a US PP and my shocks do have the ring at the top. Currently installed wrong there is no visible thread at the top of the shock as Enoch showed.

OP
OP
Enoch

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Enoch! So very helpful! Now I'm dreading getting the Steeda bolt off again as I torqued the life out of it to stop coming loose.

As always love the videos!!! Keep them coming :)

FYI I have a US PP and my shocks do have the ring at the top. Currently installed wrong there is no visible thread at the top of the shock as Enoch showed.
You're welcome Mike:) Just be aware that even with the spacer removed, you still don't get any thread showing through, you just get mor of the square bit at the top, but obviously the bolt is more secure, as it's gone down further into the bearing:thumbsup:

Regards removing the nut, I'd suggest a vice, and some wood to grip the shaft without damaging it.... I used this method to hold the shaft whilst tightening the bolt...

Remember on refitting it only needs 22ft/lbs, and I'd suggest a bit of threadlock just to be sure...:)

OP
OP
Enoch

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
looks like its just to keep one side compressed to allow him to stick a screwdriver through the other side to pry that down and onto it lock point then once one side is locked in release the strap and repeat on other side.
Spot on mate:)..... fully extended there's no way to get the shock back in and under the 2 small locating pegs...

So I compressed the shock down by pressing on it, and the wife tied a knot in the webbing:thumbsup:

Once it's in position just undo the webbing and the shock decompressed and expand to rest against the pegs...

It's really important to start all the bolts off by hand. Because the angle on the new mount can change due to the bearing it'd be dead easy to cross thread a bolt..:doh:

I used a tappered punch to get the holes in line.....:thumbsup:
Sponsored