Sport mode exhaust note

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I do not know if its just me but it seems like my exhaust sounds differently when I have the car in sport mode and when I have the car in regular mode with the exhaust in sport mode. Are there any tuning differences between the two?

I feel the better throttle response in sport mode but the exhaust also cracks and pops more on deceleration and even backfires sometimes between shifts but it never does that when the exhaust only is in sport mode.

Just wondering....
Sponsored

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Lol

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
I'll be nice and won't laugh. And I'm in a good mood today.

Yes, GT350s have dual mode exhaust. When you're in Normal or Weather Mode, the exhaust is closed so it goes through the muffler. It will open up when you get on the gas with enough effort. When you are in Sport, Track, or Drag mode, the exhaust is fully open at all times....until you put it in 6th gear. Then they close up. 6th gear is closed in all modes.

Now for throttle response. The throttle response changes depending on mode as well. Here's the order of least responsive to most responsive.

Weather --> Normal --> Track --> Sport

I have no idea where Drag mode fits in. Track mode is slightly less responsive than Sport because it's easier to modulate the throttle while flying around a road course.

Since you seem like you don't know much about the car, I'll add steering into this too. That changes depending on mode. Here's lightest to heaviest:

Normal --> Sport --> Track.

No idea where Weather or Drag mode fits into it.

Fuck it, while I'm at it here's suspension too. Softest to stiffest:

Normal --> Sport --> Track

Not sure about Weather but I'm assuming same as Normal. Drag mode is soft at the beginning to help with launching the car, then as speeds rise, it stiffens up.

Hope that explains things better for you.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
He's talking about the difference of exhaust characteristics between:
  • Normal Drive Mode with Sport Exhaust Mode Enabled
  • Sport Drive Mode

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
He's talking about the difference between:
  • Normal Drive Mode with Sport Exhaust Mode Enabled
  • Sport Drive Mode
But that's already explained by the modes effect on throttle (exhaust independent since he makes that the same for his 2 specific cases)

Sponsored

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
But that's already explained by the modes effect on throttle (exhaust independent since he makes that the same for his 2 specific cases)
Like he said, and I said. He is wondering why the exhaust characteristics (pops, bangs and crackles) seem different between Normal Drive Mode with Sport Exhaust Mode Enabled and Sport Mode with Sport Exhaust Enabled.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
Like he said, and I said. He is wondering why the exhaust characteristics (pops, bangs and crackles) seem different between Normal Drive Mode with Sport Exhaust Mode Enabled and Sport Mode with Sport Exhaust Enabled.
Answer: Sport Mode (different throttle/fuel map etc)

OP
OP
Rubyred17

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'll be nice and won't laugh. And I'm in a good mood today.

Yes, GT350s have dual mode exhaust. When you're in Normal or Weather Mode, the exhaust is closed so it goes through the muffler. It will open up when you get on the gas with enough effort. When you are in Sport, Track, or Drag mode, the exhaust is fully open at all times....until you put it in 6th gear. Then they close up. 6th gear is closed in all modes.

Now for throttle response. The throttle response changes depending on mode as well. Here's the order of least responsive to most responsive.

Weather --> Normal --> Track --> Sport

I have no idea where Drag mode fits in. Track mode is slightly less responsive than Sport because it's easier to modulate the throttle while flying around a road course.

Since you seem like you don't know much about the car, I'll add steering into this too. That changes depending on mode. Here's lightest to heaviest:

Normal --> Sport --> Track.

No idea where Weather or Drag mode fits into it.

Fuck it, while I'm at it here's suspension too. Softest to stiffest:

Normal --> Sport --> Track

Not sure about Weather but I'm assuming same as Normal. Drag mode is soft at the beginning to help with launching the car, then as speeds rise, it stiffens up.

Hope that explains things better for you.
No need for an arrogant and condescending response- I assure you I am pretty dam proficient with cars- my question was misunderstood. It sounds like the fuel tables change in addition to a simple throttle response change.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
No need for an arrogant and condescending response- I assure you I am pretty dam proficient with cars- my question was misunderstood. It sounds like the fuel tables change in addition to a simple throttle response change.
I agree - you should have received a simple answer, and from what I've read in other places, the crackling in the exhaust is intentional in Sport and Track modes. I don't know if that's true. I switch back and forth between Comfort, Sport and Track a lot and I've never felt much of a throttle response difference - and I'm switching between modes in the middle of a hot lap. They all feel the same to me.

The chassis mode switches default the suspension, stability, exhaust and steering when you switch, as raiderjatt02 said above. However, that's not the end of the story because the item-by-item steering wheel switches still work:

In Comfort and Sport modes, the suspension mode switch toggles between Comfort and Sport. In Track mode, the suspension mode switch toggles between Sport and Track.

The nannies are different between Comfort, Sport and Track. In track mode, you get a warning that AdvanceTrack is off, but it's not - it's just a lot less intrusive.

You can toggle into any steering mode in any chassis mode.

I think that's it...

Sponsored

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I understood the question. I just thought the answer was obvious from the owners manual - thus - LOL. No disrespect, but I thought you were making a joke. I apologize. This forum should not be used to make fun of people. FYI - I can’t work on these new cars to save my life so I should be the last to cast a stone.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
The amount of crackling and pop while in Sport and Track mode can be directly attributed to octane level too. For example, while at Track Attack, one of guys from CA was asked if his R crackled and popped like his did. He said no. Come to find out that in TX 93 octane is everywhere and readily available. Not so in CA. I also remember taking a Harley motorcycle trip to the Black Hills in SD. I left a state where I filled up with 93 octane but in western Nebraska and South Dakota is corn fuels. The Harley sounded like a friggin Gold Wing. I was like WTF? Somethings wrong with my Harley...
Sponsored