Sponsored

Smiles Per Gallon write up... N0198

neuneleven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 FJG, 700A, Elite, 6spd.
Hello Folks, this is my first post here and wish to start off thanking members of the forum for providing insight on the vehicle and purchase options and lots of tips and feedback to each other. Also, to Granger motors for their smooth and competent handling of business.

For a brief background, this is my first muscle car. After about 4 years on the last "toy" as my wife calls the sports/sporty cars, I had a need to get a solid V8 with handshaker transmission from Detroit. I got rid of the 911 summer last year and started reading and watching a ton of you tube videos on Mustangs/camaros/chalengers. Vette is out as it is not a manual, besides availability being frightfully low at this point. I had previously driven a colleagues Hellcat and another's SS. I had been partial all along to the classic sportscar lines of the mustang. Was digging Selby GT 350s but also the M1. Stumbled on this website and registered and was a passive reader for a while but learnt enough to order from Granger while still doing my research. I needed a daily driver - a Shelby GT350 would have served the purpose but not a GT 500. I do not intend to track the car. Information of reliability of the Coyote with all the bits from Shelbys and GT and multiple reviews watched made me drool on the M1. The more I read and watched, the more I got hooked. And here I am in an M1.

Initial impression on opening the door...OK, not bad, but not great. interior could be a little more refined at the price point, but that is not a deal breaker. Doors shut with a solid thunk, impressive. However, once I turned on the engine...Oh boy, was I smitten! Grinning ear to ear like a schoolboy at the sound of that Coyote, very different beast from the 911. Drove home about 550 miles last weekend (first about 350 on Saturday with stopover as it was getting colder and night which would increase the odds of a wet surface in freezing conditions. I then drove another 200 the next day with better weather. Shifts are solid and purposeful and even the gears need to be driven through the gear gates. You literally have to drive the car...in a good way. This is my first manual owned in over 20 years, I've had multiple PDKs and also automatics in that time. I have however driven several manuals in this this period, either loaners or on trips abroad, and I do like the feel of the Tremec. I'm sure it will get somewhat more loose and easier after breaking in with time, but even now, it shifts great. Very comfortable drive in 6th gear, normal exhaust and the non Recaro seats. Fuel consumption...Oh well, it an 8 cylinder sports car. No complains, just an observation that I barely got to 23.1 mpg average driving gently - the Porker with similar driving would get 29.x to 30.x depending on the route, but that is a turbo flat 6 and a lighter car. My prior naturally aspirated flat six was also about 29mpg on fast road trips averaging high 70's mph. Talking about gas... First fill up and getting complements already. Second fill up in town, and more complements. Dropped daughter off at Elementary yesterday. Kid's teacher later asked kid what color the car was, she told him it was fighter jet grey. Obviously not a common color among Mustangs, though it is among M1s as it is M1 specific.

All in all very happy with the vehicle so far. My wife's first comment when I started up the engine for her: " That sound! It is a man's engine". The kids love it, so I guess I cannot complain.

Looking forward to sharing tips and experiences. Attached are "gone" and "incoming" pics

M1 Ordered 10/22/2021
priority code was 19
Built notification was Jan 21, 2022
Shipped notification was Jan 29
Call of arrival at Granger Feb 8th
Pick up from Granger Feb. 19th

20170909_181116_resized.jpg

20170909_181352_resized.jpg

20220219_145005[3244] 1.jpg

20220221_170550_resized 1.jpg
Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Congrats! Welcome to the granger fighter jet gray club. Your 911 was pretty good looking but I like your choice in moving on to the Mach 1!

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
how much for the 911!

great post.

davtpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Absolutely a fantastic bit of info! I love the comments on the engine sound. My twin boys who are 7 and like every other kid now google everything and found several videos and concur that the M1 sounds the best, ergo dad must buy. I also did a lot of digging around and it helped having a brother who bought a 2019 PP GT (at a much better deal due to Covid). I really was in love with the Camaro SS until I tried to see out of one, etc. Sometimes you just find love and know it lol (I’m still patiently waiting for my M1), wife is all onboard too as a Michigan lady which makes life so much easier.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
Welcome. I have the same basic story as you did.
BTW, when comparing fuel mileage, the M1 runs fine on 87, Porsche Premium. So the less MPG is balanced out a little there too.

Sponsored

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Congrats on your new beast! Great color choice too! I bet your neighbors were quite surprised the first time you fired the engine...lol. Btw you could have done the LS3 swap on the Porshe if you wanted to keep it....lol. 🍻

LowFlying65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
FJG Mach1 # M3579
You made a good choice. The Mach 1 is a great daily.

OP
OP
neuneleven

neuneleven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats! Welcome to the granger fighter jet gray club. Your 911 was pretty good looking but I like your choice in moving on to the Mach 1!
Many thanks. Waiting for 40plus temps tomorrow to go out again after a 4 day hiatus

Absolutely a fantastic bit of info! I love the comments on the engine sound. My twin boys who are 7 and like every other kid now google everything and found several videos and concur that the M1 sounds the best, ergo dad must buy. I also did a lot of digging around and it helped having a brother who bought a 2019 PP GT (at a much better deal due to Covid). I really was in love with the Camaro SS until I tried to see out of one, etc. Sometimes you just find love and know it lol (I’m still patiently waiting for my M1), wife is all onboard too as a Michigan lady which makes life so much easier.
Wife on board certainly makes thing much less of a headache :)

You made a good choice. The Mach 1 is a great daily.
Thanks David. Certainly comfortable enough to do that duty

OP
OP
neuneleven

neuneleven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welcome. I have the same basic story as you did.
BTW, when comparing fuel mileage, the M1 runs fine on 87, Porsche Premium. So the less MPG is balanced out a little there too.
Have not yet run on 87. Does the consumption go up even further on 87 to make up for decreased Octane rating? will try it out at some point I guess

Congrats on your new beast! Great color choice too! I bet your neighbors were quite surprised the first time you fired the engine...lol. Btw you could have done the LS3 swap on the Porshe if you wanted to keep it....lol. 🍻
Heads have turned...I have not yet had verbal feedback or complains😁
Sponsored