• barton

Votes: 19 23.8%

• Total voters

RideTheMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT Premium PP
Im in the market for a short throw shifter in the near future. I am currently looking at boomba, steeda, mgw, and barton. I was wondering if anyone could giver their pros and cons of each and help make this decision easier.
Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
i was looking at the new barton or MGW they seem real close but im waiting for more reviews. dont think either is bad

T-S550-X

Threads
Reaction score
DFW, Texas, USA, Planet Earth, Milkyway Galaxy
First Name
Naji
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Mustang GT PP
Barton or MGW. I know that the Barton is not tough to install and they have many options for how you want it to look or operate. CS is also good if you need it.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I've got the Steeda and it's a great shifter. I'll abstain from voting since I don't have experience with the others. From what I've heard of people that have tried both, the MGW is considered a better shifter. I'd probably try to hit a meet up and ask if you can feel it out to compare.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
MGW or Barton. While I always ran Steeda shifters in my older cars, the disassembly and reuse of stock parts from the stock shifter immediately made me say no to Steeda's. Watch the install video.

With the MGW and Barton you get the trans mounted option which is better mounting in my opinion. Plus George and Barton have a great name in the aftermarket when it comes to problems (if you ever even have any).

Sponsored

Boomba Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boombaracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost TY 6MT w/ PP
Speaking of our own shifter, it is by far the easiest to install! It puts everything in a very natural feeling position. Rowing through the gears feels very pleasurable. Yes, our shifter does not replace the entire assembly, but we offer a shifter assembly bracket and a transmission mount for those looking to completely eliminate drivetrain slop.

Feel free to let us know if you have any questions!

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
I'm looking too, and I like some things about all of them. It is a hard choice. I've noticed the MGW is available in four models with different profiles and throw lengths. Which one seems to be the most popular for a non-DD street car?

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
judging from the poll, i think the answer is clear

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
judging from the poll, i think the answer is clear
Only 20 votes, so I wouldn't say it's clear yet.
Anyway, I was asking for those who buy the MGW, which model is the most popular?

Standard Standard 3.000 in. 15%
Standard Low Profile 2.835 in.19%
X-SPEC Standard 2.765 in. 21%
X-SPEC Low Profile 2.625 in. 25%

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
I just had a Barton Hybrid installed and love it. I can't speak for the others, but I really like the choice I made. I also installed their driveshaft loop with it.

Sponsored

50Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Corsair & 1990 Mustang GT. 2019 Mustang GT PP2 (Sold), 2019 Lincoln MKZ (Sold), 2017 Mustang GT PP (Sold), 2009 Civic Si (Sold)
I have the original Barton. Amazing shifter, but as soon as I drove a Mustang with the MGW, I had to have it; I didn't even care I was losing the pull-up reverse lockout.

Got myself the low profile X-Spec MGW.

So if anyone wants a Barton Shifter w/ less than 1k miles, shoot me a message. I'll get around to listing it soon.

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't say whether I would miss the pull-up reverse lockout, since I've only put about 1400 miles on the car. I do like the pull-up version, but I supposed I could get used to the push down lockout. I only want to install one shifter and not make a mistake, so I've still got some thinking to do. I'm going to talk with a speed shop nearby and see what they have to say. Thanks to the forum. It is a big help.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
i have the original MGW before the different models came out. MGW is worth it alone to get rid of the cheap feeling pull up reverse

T-S550-X

Threads
Reaction score
DFW, Texas, USA, Planet Earth, Milkyway Galaxy
First Name
Naji
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Mustang GT PP
I drove a friends car with the original MGW. It was a fine shifter, but just wasn't for me. My friend also wasn't thrilled with the push down for reverse. The newer Barton Hybrid is a slight step above the older version and offers different throw reductions + optional trans mount. Also, you can get the flat stick version which looks really sharp in person. The flat stick also gives you push down for reverse. I personally didn't like that change either. I felt like I had no leverage to push down without sitting up to get on top of the shifter. YMMV. IMHO either the MGW or Barton will work great. It's just preference in the end.

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMHO either the MGW or Barton will work great. It's just preference in the end.
Yes, I'm thinking it does merely come down to individual preference. I'm not in love with the flat stick look, but it does look very nice. I would not sacrifice the lift style reverse lock-out in order to get it though.

I sometimes think youtube attacks on one or the other are due to a bad install, either by DIY-ers or shops. I say this because in one video someone will shout high praise for Brand X, while someone in another video says he uninstalled his Brand X because it was so bad and installed a Brand Y, which works great. And of course the reverse is also true.

I expect a little vibration through the shifter. After all it is connected to a pretty powerful engine. For the money, I expect less slop, more distinct shifts, and shorter throws. Even if it's a bit louder and vibrates a tiny bit more, I'll be happy.

It's getting to be time to decide.
Sponsored