• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Samsung Android + NordVPN + Sync = #&*#@$!!!

DCBuckeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium
Looking to see if anyone else has had this issue and, if so, what they've done to solve it. (And, yes, split tunneling for Android Auto is enabled in the NordVPN app.)

Problem: Several times a week, I'll get the following error message: "Wireless connection failed. The wireless connection with your phone failed. Please connect your phone via usb to use android auto"

Setup: Samsung S21 Android; NordVPN with Android Auto confirmed as whitelisted for split tunneling

Troubleshooting steps so far: Switching airplane mode on and off, rebooting the phone, turning the car off for several minutes, disabling nordvpn

So far, the only reliable solutions have been turning off the car, and disabling NordVPN. Airplane mode and reboots sometimes work, sometimes do not. Oddly, when the NordVPN turns back on, there is no problem with continuing the connection.

Short of chucking the vpn or constantly doing this dance, anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Use the USB cable.

Mine has been finicky (not running a VPN client), so ...

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
usually when i get this error, no VPN, i go to my Bluetooth settings and disconnect from the car via my phone and then go to android auto on the cars screen, disconnect there as well. I then turn Bluetooth on and click the car, and then at the same time, reconnect android auto on the screen, usually works every time.

P2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Vapor Blue Mustang GT Premium 401A 6 Speed
I would also get this exact error consistently at the same intersection down the road from me. I have also had it happen at other intersections as well. I believe that there is some signal being emitted from those intersections that is interfering/crashing the wireless connection between your Android Auto and the car itself. What that signal is, I don't know. I have also had Android Auto act squirrelly on occasion. For some unknown reason when I turned on my car and Android Auto connected it started play the major league baseball channel by default on my Sirius XM radio. I didn't even have it listed as a favorite in my system. I got fed up with the quirky behavior of Android Auto and have since disabled it so it doesn't launch on my system. I actually like it without it. Don't think I will be going back...

dbroush7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium Performance
Looking to see if anyone else has had this issue and, if so, what they've done to solve it. (And, yes, split tunneling for Android Auto is enabled in the NordVPN app.)

Problem: Several times a week, I'll get the following error message: "Wireless connection failed. The wireless connection with your phone failed. Please connect your phone via usb to use android auto"

Setup: Samsung S21 Android; NordVPN with Android Auto confirmed as whitelisted for split tunneling

Troubleshooting steps so far: Switching airplane mode on and off, rebooting the phone, turning the car off for several minutes, disabling nordvpn

So far, the only reliable solutions have been turning off the car, and disabling NordVPN. Airplane mode and reboots sometimes work, sometimes do not. Oddly, when the NordVPN turns back on, there is no problem with continuing the connection.

Short of chucking the vpn or constantly doing this dance, anyone have any suggestions?
I have the exact same problem unless I turn off the VPN before I turn on the car.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
If my phone and Sync ever stop communicating wirelessly (Android Auto), all I do is:

Go into the Sync settings
Tap Phone List
Select my phone
IIRC there are three round (virtual) buttons to show what the phone is connected for: Calls, Music, and AA

(I assume for iPhone users, the one on the far right would be CarPlay, not AA).

AA button will be lit up if connected, even if Sync and the phone have given up communicating. The other two are NOT lit up if AA is connected but will light up if I disconnect AA.

All I do is tap the AA button. This disconnects Sync from my phone (this lights up the Call and Music buttons). Then I tap it a second time (that lights up the AA button and shuts the other two off).

This restores the connection between Sync and my phone and all starts working again.

No need to restart the phone, reset the APIM or anything else. This happens once every two or three drives, maybe. Happens in my F150, too.

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Ember Dark Horse on order, Mercedes SLC
NordVPN is junk from a scummy company. I wouldn't touch it if they paid me and they certainly try and pay a lot of 'influencers' off to paddle their swill.

It's the only way they can advertise their services in the UK because all of their other adverts get banned for being false and misleading to 'scaremongering'

If you think it makes your internet safer then you've been hoodwinked by the clowns.

Yes your data is encrypted between your device and their end point. But from their it's back in the open again, and their endpoints are notoriously leaky / compromised / open for attack / hijacked.

An example is what happened in 2018 for 3 months, that took them until 2019 to notice. If you google it you get a whole load of paid for sites trying to make out that it was nothing and NordVPN are a legit and trust worthy company. The affiliate links on the sites give away their bias in reporting.
Sponsored