Sponsored

Roush Mustang GT Performance Pac Level 1 Questions

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2020 Velocity Blue Mustang GT 10 Speed Auto Base Model (light weight baby)
Hello! New to the forum! Live in the San Diego area and just purchased a 2020 base velocity blue Mustang GT 10 Auto. This is my 5th Mustang and second automatic. Had a 91 5.0 Auto, 87 Manual , 98 4.6L Manual and 2002 Manual. I just want to ask a question about this upgrade package from Roush. Since I live in Cali, I need something that's legal (want really) and that I can still put 87 octane in the car ... I was growing through some of the other threads and was wondering how this kit performs? Will it affect the warranty or can I have ford install it? Does it affect the tranny in any way? I remember someone saying that an intake does nothing for the +2018 cars? Help needed :) Thanks!
Sponsored

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
Intake by itself will do next to nothing on 18+. Its the tune that makes most of the increase in power. The Roush tune is meant to work best on 91+ and the car just likes premium way more than 87 even when stock. The owners manual recommends 91+ octane premium fuel as well. The 18+ is 12 to 1 compression and bad/ low quality fuel really makes them ping. For the extra $5 ish dollars a fill up it's worth it to make the car happy. Also with the car being dual fuel it is likely to build up more carbon on the intake valves over time and a good quality premium fuel with additives will help prevent that.

A ford dealer will most likely install it for you and retain your warranty. Another option if you want to stay CARB compliant and keep your warranty is the ford performance power pack. Levittown Ford Parts is doing a group buy on them here https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/18-gt-performance-tune-pac.137936/ But again that will require you to run 91+ octane fuel.

OP
OP
Nightshifter

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2020 Velocity Blue Mustang GT 10 Speed Auto Base Model (light weight baby)
Intake by itself will do next to nothing on 18+. Its the tune that makes most of the increase in power. The Roush tune is meant to work best on 91+ and the car just likes premium way more than 87 even when stock. The owners manual recommends 91+ octane premium fuel as well. The 18+ is 12 to 1 compression and bad/ low quality fuel really makes them ping. For the extra $5 ish dollars a fill up it's worth it to make the car happy. Also with the car being dual fuel it is likely to build up more carbon on the intake valves over time and a good quality premium fuel with additives will help prevent that.

A ford dealer will most likely install it for you and retain your warranty. Another option if you want to stay CARB compliant and keep your warranty is the ford performance power pack. Levittown Ford Parts is doing a group buy on them here https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/18-gt-performance-tune-pac.137936/ But again that will require you to run 91+ octane fuel.
Wow thanks for the info Bigdeed! Been a while since my last Mustang :) Yeah I run 91 and was wondering about 87... being 12:1 compression would make the engine happier. Does the ECU tune it down a bit for 87... retard the timing when it senses knocking and or...? I'll check out the ford package!

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
Wow thanks for the info Bigdeed! Been a while since my last Mustang :) Yeah I run 91 and was wondering about 87... being 12:1 compression would make the engine happier. Does the ECU tune it down a bit for 87... retard the timing when it senses knocking and or...? I'll check out the ford package!
Not a problem! That's ultimately what the forum is for, info! Yes it does. Ford uses an adaptive fuel logic (not sure if that's the proper name for it) but it will pull timing when it senses knock and/or sub par quality fuel. Gen 3 coyotes have 4 knock sensors I believe and tend to be a bit sensitive. People sometimes run into issues when they install aftermarket headers and they aren't clearanced from the body properly. The knock sensors pick up the headers hitting the body and report a false knock and pull timing thus hindering performance.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Avoid anything less than 91.

Yes "cai" on 18+ isn't worth much. Most gains are from the tune. Plus most after market intakes increase your iats.
Sponsored