Sponsored

Roof spoiler / wing

hiiammarcin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Does anyone have any roof spoiler (MMD, MP etc.) pictures on their GT350 they could share?
Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I hate to see a man's simple request get over 100 views and not get even one photo of a roof spoiler/wing.

I didn't want to spend the money on a carbon fiber roof spoiler/wing wing due to the cost.
I'm a hobby wood worker and I figured this is still do-able.
Hear me out now... the vertical supports are spherical industrial cardboard to handle the aerodynamic wind load which will apply torque to the base of the supports.
The modulus of elasticity/poisons ratio/radius of gyration were all taken from Roark's handbook for the structural calculations. Mohr's circle calculations even verified the principle stresses.
The wing is laminated hard maple, but only 13/64" thick... not yet competing with carbon fiber for strength to weight ratio, but dollar per board foot ratio, I have this race dominated!
I'm not yet equipped to make these jaw dropping wings for others, since I have not yet road tested this engineering cost-saving marvel at the Shelby's top speed.
These can be stained OR painted... think of the possibilities!
This is the selling point if I go commercial... cost: $12.38.

IMG_4242.JPG
IMG_4243.JPG

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I hate to see a man's simple request get over 100 views and not get even one photo of a roof spoiler/wing.

I didn't want to spend the money on a carbon fiber roof spoiler/wing wing due to the cost.
Hear me out now... the vertical supports are spherical industrial cardboard to handle the aerodynamic wind load which will apply torque to the base of the supports.
The modulus of elasticity/poisons ratio/radius of gyration were all taken from Roark's handbook for the structural calculations. Mohr's circle calculations even verified the principle stresses.
The wing is laminated hard maple, but only 13/64" thick... not yet competing with carbon fiber for strength to weight ratio, but dollar per board foot ratio, I have this race dominated!
I'm not yet equipped to make these jaw dropping wings for others, since I have not yet road tested this engineering cost-saving marvel at the Shelby's top speed.

IMG_4242.JPG
IMG_4243.JPG
Dave you are a very sick man :cwl::crackup::clap:

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_4242.JPG
IMG_4243.JPG
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

About spit coffee all over my keyboard.

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
OK, I was hoping for a real picture of a roof wing so I knew what he was talking about....

Sponsored

OP
OP

hiiammarcin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Can’t decide if I like this...the rear window is so big that actually it might work nicely after it’s painted. At the same time, the entire roof line does look slick without anything there.
83E3392F-E857-4AD2-8D44-4529D7257F41.png
45AB2F53-8B11-4518-9045-5B47BEE81D8B.png

OP
OP

hiiammarcin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

Sponsored
OP
OP

hiiammarcin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Does your wife know you stole her ironing board?

IMG_4242.JPG
IMG_4243.JPG

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
You have basic gt so I’m not even sure why you’re here. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.
Well, congratulations, you just earned the AH of the day award. And by the way it’s not a basic GT, you snob, it’s a California Special. :cwl::crackup:

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
How does this silly part effect air flow across the back of the car and the car's deck spoiler? People put these lick'm stick'm parts on their cars with no regard to the aerodynamic engineering of the car.

OP
OP

hiiammarcin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Good question. Let me come over so we can use your wind tunnel to get some realistic numbers.

How does this silly part effect air flow across the back of the car and the car's deck spoiler? People put these lick'm stick'm parts on their cars with no regard to the aerodynamic engineering of the car.

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
Good question. Let me come over so we can use your wind tunnel to get some realistic numbers.
It's just my opinion. Knock yourself out with the lick'em stick'em parts. I won't be disrespecting my R with any of that garbage.
Sponsored