Sponsored

RHD 2019 GT on track at Brands Hatch Indy (UK)

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
Had fun playing around at Brands Hatch yesterday in my stock 2019 Mustang GT. It's equipped with Magneride and Recaros so it is probably the best suited Mustang for track days out of the box minus the 6 speed manual (maybe the auto is better or worse?). Here in the UK our cars are Performance Pack 1 minus the 3.73 torsen (we get the 3.55 trac-lock) so the gearing is stratospheric with a manual as you'll see in the videos below. We also have less power due to terrible exhaust headers and the need to run a richer fuel mixture to protect the cats and gasoline particulate filters.

The car is quick before it overheats. I was able to pass pretty much everything including a RS4 V8 and kept up with a M2 Comp, overtook a turbo MX-5 and was about to pass a R26 Megane before the car got too hot.

Positives:
  1. Race Track Mode is magic with Magneride and the linear throttle in terms of transforming the road car character enough for decent track work, and performed very well for what is a road car with the stock Ford alignment. The steering feels best on track while on the road the Sport steering is too heavy.
  2. Brakes were monsters and didn't really fade despite this car only coming with single pot rear calipers. Very good out of the box although I did only get 5 or so laps out of the car each time so....
  3. Car handles way better than I expected when hustled. PS4S tyres are my new favourite high performance tyre.
  4. Engine was really strong. Strong spread of torque to pull you out of corners which helped counteract some of the issues with the long gearing I had.
  5. 30 mpg cruising to and from the track.
Negatives:
  1. The diff overheats after about 4-5 hard laps and Brands Hatch Indy is a very short track.
  2. Coolant temps also get toasty.
  3. Gearbox overheats around the same time that the diff and the engine start complaining.
  4. Gearing is too long. I kept bouncing off the limiter on the straight but 4th is a terrible gear to shift into as it's basically an over drive.
  5. 8 mpg on the track. Haha!
The car and chassis is clearly capable and would be better with a few modifications such as what will come on the US-spec Mach 1 to help manage temperatures (don't think we are getting this like we don't get any of the best Mustangs). As it stands, the UK cars are a pricey proposition to turn into a reliable track day car in summer weather. I'd want a Torsen diff so it didn't overheat, thicker gear oil, diff, trans and oil coolers, Cervinis grilles in the front bumpers to open it all up, some focused ducting on the various radiators, camber plates, and lighter wheels. Then it would be fantastic but that list is about £6-8k, haha.

Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I wish they would ship the GT350 across the pond... you would be in heaven driving that with your smooth driving skills!
Thanks for sharing & good videos.

OP
OP
cib24

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
I wish they would ship the GT350 across the pond... you would be in heaven driving that with your smooth driving skills!
Thanks for sharing & good videos.
Thanks and I agree that the GT350 or GT350R would be fantastic here as a track toy and we have so many tracks within 1, 2 or 3 hours given the UK's racing heritage across F1, F3, F4, BTCC and Moto GP.

I couldn't really drive the Mustang that hard due to temps, tyres, and lack of any downforce. The brakes were good but the rear end was squirrelly when you really stamped on the car in anything but a straight line.

We can get the GT350, GT350R and GT500 imported here as we don't have any restrictions but the cost to do so through importers is very dear and you kind of start thinking that you should buy a Porsche or used McLaren with the money they want!

2016 GT350 - £60,000
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202005219450025?atmobcid=soc3

2018 GT350R - £90,000
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202007040850532?atmobcid=soc3

Base 2020 GT500 - £130,000

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202008112338578?atmobcid=soc3

You can import them yourself for maybe 10% less but that's still quite expensive for now.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Cool to see a track video from Europe. I have almost the same car, except Recaros. I've yet to become good enough to pass anything, but I'm working on it.
Sponsored