Sponsored

Rev Matching 6-Speed Manual

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Exactly, our society has become a society of sloths. You describe it perfectly, everyone is operating in they're own little bubble, just walk in a crowd of people today, no one has any urgency, or planned route to a destination, we just seem to slide a long the ground in an semi-orbital pattern. Highway driving....don't get me started.
I call these people lemmings. Or sunday drivers. The worst.
Sponsored

c3po

CNCforlife
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion- company car
This is a fun little experiment I like to do while driving: when on the freeway, when you come up to someone going slow in the fast lane that just camps there and never moves right. As you pass them, try to make eye contact with them...no road rage here, just see if you can meet eyes, then look away. My findings are that 90% of them are looking straight ahead, focused on dead in front of them, never moving their eyes from 10 feet off their front bumper. They don't check any mirrors and if you pass them, staring at their face, they'll never notice you, till you get fully in front of them.

Luckily, in my state (Minnesota) this has now become a ticket-able offense, even if the person is slightly speeding.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Your definition of control is what is most debatable. The idea that the user must consciously control every aspect of a machine's operation is as flawed as all of humanity. Our reflexes and predictability are all over the map, and because of that assistance systems have come to be to try and eliminate much if that variance so that only our judgement is required. It's up to us the point the machine and tell it how fast to go, but asking a human to keep it in complete control while pushing it to the limit is what gets people killed.

But back to topic for the operation of a manual transmission it's simple enough to not need computer assistance and such I would feel a rev matching feature unnecessary to my driving enjoyment.
A human... (most humans) have a conscious that extends beyond the vehicle, & drive with such an awareness.

Coincidentally, automated things, only react... they are not precognitive. They only assist the driver.

Ironically, the only reason for cars, is people...

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Exactly, our society has become a society of sloths. You describe it perfectly, everyone is operating in they're own little bubble, just walk in a crowd of people today, no one has any urgency, or planned route to a destination, we just seem to slide a long the ground in an semi-orbital pattern. Highway driving....don't get me started.
+1 (Tim & GunMan)

Because^, most are passengers of life... they have no focus, because they are not steering themselves.

Additionally, situational awareness is everything in life.... it defines who you are & where you'll be going. When you have a higher consciousness, you have more information to work with. More knowledge..

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
Newbie question here. What exactly is Rev-matching?

Sponsored

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Newbie question here. What exactly is Rev-matching?
check out this video

[ame]

it gives the basics of a manual transmission.

basically the engine and the wheels spin @ different speeds, and rev-matching is matching the speed of the engine with the speed of the wheels.

this reduces wear on the clutch etc. (plus nice, smooth downshifts)

Donny_k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Chevy S10
That is a cool video. Even if you already know the information. Thanks for posting.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
From what I have read, it's auto-only.

But my cars have had rev-matching manuals for years. It's called heel & toe shifting, and it's really a blast once you learn to do it well and quickly.
THIS