Sponsored

redline oil

TRACK-STANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
black 2015 mustang ecoboost 6spd
Getting ready to do first oil change after 1000 miles I've read alot of rave about redline oil from people that have turbo cars anyone here have any experience with redline oil is it worth what weight would you get?
Sponsored

M3Convert

American Muscle Noob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
It depends on what you are going to do with the car. If you are going to track it a bunch and keep the same oil, you want the extra heat stability. If going to "cars and coffee" and redlining it in Starbucks once a month is your thing, it is just extra cost for no benefit.

Many M3 owners switched to Redline as a cheaper alternative to the special Castrol Motorsport "M" oil that BMW prescribes for M3's without issue. The Castrol oil was $14-16/L

OP
OP

TRACK-STANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah i see so in my case it's a little over kill but what would be a good synthetic then Rotella? Alot turbo guys use that also

m6pwr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pkg,Recaros
Most of the development of ester-based lubricants, like Redline, began around WWII. It was, and probably still is, the only lubricant able to withstand the very high rpms and heat of a jet engine. Compared to the conventional, non-synthetic, dino-based oils of that time, ester based lubes were the ne plus ultra. And they quickly became the darling of race car builders for use in their high performance engines (e.g. Castrol R, an oil containing a vegetable ester extracted from the castor bean - when you went to a race track back in the fifties you could smell it for miles around). So the halo-effect of ester-based oils continues even to today, but in the intervening five or six decades since then, there have been huge advances in auto lubricants: in the formulation and blending of other synthetic base stocks, and most particularly, in the chemistry and performance of the various additives that make up the "add pack" - which can have as much or greater impact on the overall performance of the oil as the base stock. Today, in most street applications, these later syns can perform as well or sometimes even better than ester-based oils.

Anyway, enough of the history. If you are going to use Redline oil in your Ecoboost turbo engine, I'd keep a couple things in mind:

Unless there have been some recent changes in Redline, their oils do not carry any oem approvals, and they don't even bother with API certifications, like API 5w20. Their data sheets will have language like "equivalent to 5w20". As a general rule, I think their actual viscosities are a little heavier. Maybe no big deal.

The lack of API and oem certs could be a problem if your Ecoboost develops a problem or failure that Ford believes is lubrication related and they discover that you've been using Redline. You'll be in a big warranty fight then - probably very unlikely but you should be aware of this.

You'll also need to talk to Redline to see how long they recommend you run their oil.

m6pwr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Ah i see so in my case it's a little over kill but what would be a good synthetic then Rotella? Alot turbo guys use that also
I forgot. I'm new to Ford so don't know a lot about the alternatives to the Motorcraft oils. Pennzoil Platinum (the hi-po brand of Shell) has a new line of syns branded as oils made with "Pure Plus Technology". This is not marketing gimmickry. Shell is a leader in the refining of lubricants (and even fuels) made from natural gas. Like ester-based lubes, these new oils have very good high temp stability and are very clean oils - something to think about vis-a-vis deposits in the turbos and the induction tract. They may have a 5w20 that meets the Ford spec in your owner's manual.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TRACK-STANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you very much for the info I have just started looking at the additive pack for certain oils this is the first time I've ever looked at things like this but from what I can gather from jeneral searches on Google amsoil full synthetic 10w30 seems to be a winner it's also rated pretty high for its zinc content also also I'm leaning towards the same for the Mt also amsoil sncromax 75w90 but I'm not sure if I can use that in the diff ?

OP
OP

TRACK-STANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reading even more on syn oils and add packs ??? I'm kinda lost I'm torn between penzoil and amsoil m6pwr what are your opinions you seem to have a better grasp on syn oils any info is very appreciated!

m6pwr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Reading even more on syn oils and add packs ??? I'm kinda lost I'm torn between penzoil and amsoil m6pwr what are your opinions you seem to have a better grasp on syn oils any info is very appreciated!
Either one; depends on availability, price, and your own preference. Amsoil was the first oil in US to be ester based. It was founded by a former Air Force jet pilot, Joe Amatuzzi if memory serves, who knew of ester oil performance in jet engines. It changed to a different base stock a good while ago called PAO: it's a GRP IV base stock (ester is GRP V). PAO is very high performing and a true synthetic (made in a test tube so to speak, not pumped out of the ground). Trouble is lube mfrs are constantly fiddling with their formulations. I don't know if Amsoil oils are still PAO base stock or not. May not make any difference in the real world anyway.

The Pennzoil Platinum with Pure Plus Technology oils are considered a GRP III simply because its base stock (natural gas) is pumped out of the ground, but it performs like a PAO. So you could flip a coin. Me - If I had to depart from Ford's Motorcraft, I would lean toward the Pennzoil because of its cleanliness. Shell is a huge company with tremendous research and development resources and a long tradition of partnering with high performance car mfrs (e.g. Ferrari).

Whichever you choose, try to be sure it meets Ford's spec for your Ecoboost in your owner's manual if possible. The bottle of oil will list the oem specs it meets on the back of the bottle. And I wouldn't deviate from Ford's viscosity spec for you Ecoboost (e.g 5w20 or 5w30, whatever it is).

OP
OP

TRACK-STANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay thankyou for the info and the insight I really appreciate it