Rare problem: 5th/6th gear bucking/surging and cruise control not working

OP
OP

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
P0833 code is associated with this issue, for some ppl like me. after they fix tell them to test cruise control first, if not working don't bother calling you in to pick up the car.
Sponsored

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I shut off hill assist and the dashboard wrench went away. Still feel the intermittent stutter, though.
I have this issue too, what I refer to as highway surging. Feels like a misfire maybe. Cruise does not work and hill start error and wrench. Been in the shop 6 times to try to fix, including new wire harness and the transmission output shaft flange but teb. It’s only gotten worse and worse. Trying camshaft phasers next apparently.

the car sometimes doesn’t do this if driven VERY easy up to highway speeds, but it’s a nightmare if it’s driven spirited (or tracked) and then try to cruise on the highway, like a surging/kicking bronco.

problem is somewhat intermittent as well,usually have to drive a little hard or for a longer trip first. Really frustrating

OP
OP

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
sounds exactly like my problem

hard kick in 3, 4th, warm up trans temp, and 100% of the time i can get the wrench light cruising on 5th

I have this issue too, what I refer to as highway surging. Feels like a misfire maybe. Cruise does not work and hill start error and wrench. Been in the shop 6 times to try to fix, including new wire harness and the transmission output shaft flange but teb. It’s only gotten worse and worse. Trying camshaft phasers next apparently.

the car sometimes doesn’t do this if driven VERY easy up to highway speeds, but it’s a nightmare if it’s driven spirited (or tracked) and then try to cruise on the highway, like a surging/kicking bronco.

problem is somewhat intermittent as well,usually have to drive a little hard or for a longer trip first. Really frustrating

OP
OP

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
they replaced the wiring harness too? that is a big job.

other than wiring harness and that TSB what else did they replace?

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase

Damn, this doesn't sound encouraging.

Sponsored

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I've been getting the stutter for awhile but today I had to hit the brakes pretty hard on the freeway. Some douchebag tried cutting me off and running me into the center divide. If my 10 yo wasn't in the car with me, there's a good chance I'd be sitting in jail tonight. It's amazing how kids change your reactions. Lucky for him... I'll have to grab the video of my dash cam and post it. Crazy.

After that is when I got the "hill assist not available" and then the wrench.

Ateast I got his plate #

20201110_130106.jpg

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase

hard kick in 3, 4th, warm up trans temp, and 100% of the time i can get the wrench light cruising on 5th
come to think of it, that harder kick may be happening at times. The "bucking bronco" comment made me think about it. Our roads are pretty bad out here in California. I was just thinking it was me hitting the gas pedal while going over potholes. I need to check my CC tomorrow.

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
I am also having this issue. Hoping to hear about someone who actually has experienced a permanent fix for this. Really don’t want to bring to the dealer unless there is a fix that works. I hate intermittent problems.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR

Exactly, hard kick in 3 and 4 right away after shifting, then the surging/bucking in 5th and 6th trying to cruise with dash wrench, cruise not working, and hill start error comes up at some point, maybe when stopping next.

I just got a new transmission after mine failed and they are taking it out to try to test for this today. Don’t think it could have been a symptom of a failing trans, but maybe. I’ll let you know if it’s fixed, but without a track day for months and winter coming I won’t be certain really. That said, lately it has been so bad/touchy any moderate road driving would start this.

pbrmeasap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R & 2016 Charger SRT392
Dittos on this problem for me. Recently driving down to Daytona Speedway for a Chin event and started on I-95 in 6th. Stopped at dealer in Daytona and went for a test drive with the tech riding along with his laptop connected. He found that the clutch and brake pedal sensors both showed partial, intermittent engagement - when they both were clearly not being engaged. We surmised it might be related to the auto-blip connected to the car and pedals. Now it sounds like that may not be the case but possibly the TSB 19-2090. I've had Xineering rewire the blip unit and also replace the brake sensor switch - hoping that will resolve. Will pick up later this week and test on the 2 hour drive back home.

Sponsored
OP
OP

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
if you are having this issue, first thing is to get TSB 19-2090 done (or whatever is the latest one ) and specifically ask them to check for the "trigger wheel sensor" wear. they will have to remove your drive shaft meaning mid section exhaust would have to come off.

if you have code P0833 along with it, replace the upper (top) clutch sensor, the sensor itself is like 10 bucks max but to replace it you need to remove the driver knee airbag, kinda PITA. get those two items out of the way first, hopefully this will fix your issue.

OP
OP

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
the Trigger wheel sensor part # is FR3Z-7H150-A, tech said for sure it was worn.

pbrmeasap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will do. Had the QA1 carbon shaft installed this spring so hoping they don't give me any grief.

OP
OP

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
quickest way to test, is to rev hard in 3rd, 4th, and on 5th/6th right away check for cruise control.

if cruise control is not working, very very high chance this "jerking" will come back at constant speed

Dittos on this problem for me. Recently driving down to Daytona Speedway for a Chin event and started on I-95 in 6th. Stopped at dealer in Daytona and went for a test drive with the tech riding along with his laptop connected. He found that the clutch and brake pedal sensors both showed partial, intermittent engagement - when they both were clearly not being engaged. We surmised it might be related to the auto-blip connected to the car and pedals. Now it sounds like that may not be the case but possibly the TSB 19-2090. I've had Xineering rewire the blip unit and also replace the brake sensor switch - hoping that will resolve. Will pick up later this week and test on the 2 hour drive back home.

pbrmeasap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
quickest way to test, is to rev hard in 3rd, 4th, and on 5th/6th right away check for cruise control.

if cruise control is not working, very very high chance this "jerking" will come back at constant speed
Yep, first sign of the problem was cruise disengaging while cruising in 6th. Then the bucking and wrench with 'See Owners Manual'. No codes tho.
The problem continued on track in 5th while in the oval. Just kept the foot down tho and was manageable - ran 9 sessions over the 2 days.
Sponsored