Sponsored

R&T: 2015 Ford Mustang Will get 2.3-liter EcoBoost in U.S., and not as base engine

JackHoya

I think it's funny I read some guys elsewhere talkin about how we should have AWD on the stang along with the turbo 4-cyl to cater to the tuner market. NEVER gonna happen. :headbonk:
Sponsored

KZStang

I think it's funny I read some guys elsewhere talkin about how we should have AWD on the stang along with the turbo 4-cyl to cater to the tuner market. NEVER gonna happen. :headbonk:
People suggest all kinds of crazy things every time there's a new model and especially new platform. AWD? On a Mustang? All that extra weight for.... :shrug: It's a challenge just to keep it from adding weight with IRS. AWD is overkill.

crazyfastfreddy

wait who said this? if ur looking for AWD, u proly werent looking for a muscle car to being with. it's not meant to be AWD, never has been , even with the SVO. no reason to do it now. u want a muscle car with AWD, go buy a 2005+ charger or buy forza motorsports on xbox and put anything u wanna on it :D

NRMStand

No thank u, i doint do donuts and burnouts on my street, but what's a mustang that can't do those things? there's a whole lotta options out there besides a mustang if you want AWD.......

Krishna

I dunno call me crazy but I'd like to see AWD option on the Mustang.... doesnt have to replace RWD but would be a intriging option. I've driven AWD drive cars that are plenty fun... AND i think it would outperform a RWD. Why else do you think AWD is banned on paved road racing.... because it would take RWD cars to town.

Sponsored

Mriley

Man.... what's next a electric Mustang?! :frusty: At least make the 4 cylinder just a special edition lightweight track model or something. DON"T MAKE IT HIGHER THAN THE V6 MODEL! That goes against the cosmic order or something.
I wouldn't worry too much. While CAFE and emissions standards are a growing concern and Ford will have to consider the taxes on higher displacement engines in Europe, high powered options are not being "phased out" any time soon.

This article sums it up well. They discuss the Mustang and allude to my point here:

Curiously, Ford's stand is relatively low-key at this year's New York show, though a look at the Mustang display hints at big news to come. Ford is counting down to April 2014, which will mark the 50th anniversary of the original American pony car—with many expecting to see the official unveiling of the next-generation Mustang at next year's show.

Rumors are rampant, and most well-placed observers anticipate big news, starting with Mustang's first-ever independent rear suspension. That should move it into contention with a number of global performance cars—but also help it catch up with Chevrolet, which adopted an independent rear suspension design when it re-launched the Camaro four years back after a near decade-long absence.

The two muscle cars have long been archrivals, and Chevy briefly gave up on the game before bringing the Camaro back into the market in 2010. It was an unexpectedly successful move, the coupe now solidly outselling Mustang.

But the segment is prone to radical shifts and that requires a steady roll-out of minor updates and more radical variants like the 2014 Camaro Z/28. The 550-horsepower bruiser brings back a name not seen on the American market since 2002.

While Ford and Chevrolet battle for leadership in the pony car segment, they aren't alone. Chrysler's Dodge division has continued amping up the performance of its own pony car, the Challenger coupe, as well as the 4-door Dodge Charger.

Indeed, notes analyst Joe Phillippi, while the media may put plenty of emphasis on all the new green machines coming to market, "horsepower is still big with consumers." Indeed, some of the biggest announcements on the auto show circuit this year, from Detroit to Geneva, have focused on performance.

So, while most industry surveys might suggest that mileage is the top concern for the average driver, industry planners know that muscle still matters. Pony cars and performance machines aren't going away. The good news is that they're both faster and more powerful than ever while still meeting tougher emissions and mileage mandates.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100607021

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
"Rumors are rampant, and most well-placed observers anticipate big news, starting with Mustang's first-ever independent rear suspension."

Ummmmm, what about the SN95 Cobra? That had IRS :confused:

Prodigy

"Rumors are rampant, and most well-placed observers anticipate big news, starting with Mustang's first-ever independent rear suspension."

Ummmmm, what about the SN95 Cobra? That had IRS :confused:
These business news joints dont know jack about cars. A simple google search could've told him that. Also the "solidly outselling Mustang" is not really accurate. If you look at the last 12 months, the total deliveries differ by about 1500. That's not a solid beat by any standard when you're talking 90k units.

Melino

I dunno call me crazy but I'd like to see AWD option on the Mustang.... doesnt have to replace RWD but would be a intriging option. I've driven AWD drive cars that are plenty fun... AND i think it would outperform a RWD. Why else do you think AWD is banned on paved road racing.... because it would take RWD cars to town.
Go buy a Quattro then. I want my mustang lean, uncomplicated and cheap. You would ruin all those things by putting in AWD.

JackHoya

Huh? I think RWD would win in a straight line. It's the sharp corners that give the AWD an advantage.

With 2 identical cars, same engine, same weight w/o the drivetrain, and one is AWD and other is RWD... who wins around a track? The AWD car will be heavier and have more drivetrain loss which means it will lose on a straight. The AWD has an advantage around hairpins, but likely about even with RWD on wide turns. Given the added weight, maintenance, complexity and COST of such a car, I would choose RWD any day unless weather/snow/terrain is a huge concern.

Sponsored

Prodigy

Huh? I think RWD would win in a straight line. It's the sharp corners that give the AWD an advantage.

With 2 identical cars, same engine, same weight w/o the drivetrain, and one is AWD and other is RWD... who wins around a track? The AWD car will be heavier and have more drivetrain loss which means it will lose on a straight. The AWD has an advantage around hairpins, but likely about even with RWD on wide turns. Given the added weight, maintenance, complexity and COST of such a car, I would choose RWD any day unless weather/snow/terrain is a huge concern.
+1

Althought the GT-R is a mighty beast.

Ted

Huh? I think RWD would win in a straight line.
AWD gonna win from a dig every time. There's certain high power cars that can't even put down the power properly if it just had RWD (like the GTR). It would just sit there and spin in place :doh:

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
Tell the GT-R owners they don't really need AWD! See what their response is.

Nonetheless, we won't have it in the Mustang. But the idea here is that a Lincoln usage of this chassis would find it useful... those owners want to drive their cars all year round. If you followed the introductory press briefings of the new AWD Jags, you heard this as the reason they reworked their cars for it.

But if Ford has to stop and rework the S550 for this... the new Mustang is going to be delayed.

Ricky35

Tell the GT-R owners they don't really need AWD! See what their response is.

Nonetheless, we won't have it in the Mustang. But the idea here is that a Lincoln usage of this chassis would find it useful... those owners want to drive their cars all year round. If you followed the introductory press briefings of the new AWD Jags, you heard this as the reason they reworked their cars for it.

But if Ford has to stop and rework the S550 for this... the new Mustang is going to be delayed.
Besides bad weather, AWD not really needed until we're talking about the real high power applications where traction becomes an issue anyway so most Mustang owners not gonna need it.

Do we know for sure that the s550 wasn't developed from the beginning for RWD + AWD application tho?

shelby1k

I would think any plans for the Lincoln to share the Mustang platform for a luxury coupe were made a long time ago. THe prob is if it is just a heavily modified s197 (s197+ as you call it) they must have done some costly reengineering to make it AWD capable (more so than if it was just built from ground up) so that cost gets spread between the Lincoln and Mustang even though Mustang wont be making use of it.
Sponsored