Sponsored

PS4S Track Rain Day & DD Alternative

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I use a dedicated set of NT01 for dry days and have used the PS4S for DD or if it rains, and occasionally at the track on a dry day. (Spares/punctured track tire/worn out track tire before I could get a new set ect)
The car is basically 80/20 track street. Unfortunately my home track uses a brick like over run in certain places and if I touch it under load it rips a piece of the tire off. The solution is to not hit the rumbles, but it's somewhat tricky in the rain, plus I'm used to running all over them on my racing line because on my track tires it's fine. I think the narrow tread blocks get ripped off if you hit the rumbles strips while the tire is loaded and slightly rolled over. This only seems to only affect my fronts and PS4S. I can full on slide into the rumbles sideways with the NT01 and not cause damage.
19x10 wheel
Is there decent rain/DD alternative tire that has wide shoulder blocks that might be less prone to damage? The RE71s have fairly wide shoulder sections but suck in the rain. If not I guess ill just have to try and be careful but if you bump the dang things it's a 370 dollar mistake, 800 if you bump both sides.
20200107_141252.jpg
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Conti ECS

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Conti ECS
I run those. Amazing dry and wet performance however they are extremely loud. If you want a quiet dd tire then don't run these. If that doesn't matter then the ecs is an amazing cheaper alternative to the ps4s

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I run those. Amazing dry and wet performance however they are extremely loud. If you want a quiet dd tire then don't run these. If that doesn't matter then the ecs is an amazing cheaper alternative to the ps4s
Interesting. You're the first I've heard saying this.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Interesting. You're the first I've heard saying this.
It's a fantastic performance tire but they are loud on anything but a perfect road. There are times where I have to pause my convo until I get to a better stretch of road. Ya I don't think anyone has mentioned this which is why I bought the tire. But it's a big weakness of the tire for a dd. As much as I like them I will not buy another set due to the noise

Sponsored

OP
OP

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I don't mind giving them a shot. They are about a little over 100 dollars cheaper per tire. The shoulder tread blocks don't really look any wider though. Im thinking about going with a more stretched tire too like 275 on a 10 in wide rim. Maybe a lower aspect ratio too like 30 to not allow the tire to flex and roll over as far while cornering.

The noise thing sucks. I thought I siezed a wheel hub with the Nittos they were so loud, but PS4s are very quiet. I've got some stiffer suspension goodies and bearings replacing bushings so it's already kinda loud.

ECS
conhz1_ang_xl.jpg

PS4S
mmihz8_ang_xl.jpg

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I don't mind giving them a shot. They are about a little over 100 dollars cheaper per tire. The shoulder tread blocks don't really look any wider though. Im thinking about going with a more stretched tire too like 275 on a 10 in wide rim. Maybe a lower aspect ratio too like 30 to not allow the tire to flex and roll over as far while cornering.

The noise thing sucks. I thought I siezed a wheel hub with the Nittos they were so loud, but PS4s are very quiet. I've got some stiffer suspension goodies and bearings replacing bushings so it's already kinda loud.
The cost difference is why I went with the Continental but after 7k miles on them, I've had enough of the tire noise. I'm looking forward to wearing these out lol. Next time I'll probably go with a good all season for daily use and get a dedicated set of track/ autocross tires.

OP
OP

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I've got a dedicated set of track wheels, just need something for rain or certain occasions, or Time trials where I need at least a 200tw tire for the class ect. PS4S is a great tire it just gets torn up.
RE71 with pretty wide shoulder tread blocks. Haven't really seen people have trouble with them at the track but they kinda stink in the rain.
brihv1.ang.xl.jpg

NT01 is solid rubber on the sidewall. Nothing to rip off.
nithz8.ang.xl.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The cost difference is why I went with the Continental but after 7k miles on them, I've had enough of the tire noise. I'm looking forward to wearing these out lol. Next time I'll probably go with a good all season for daily use and get a dedicated set of track/ autocross tires.
I gotta ask, have you heard what a track tire sounds like? I've heard some louder summer tires but they're nothing compared with an NT01 or even the RE71R (that between 30-45 mph sounds like an offroad tire). I'm not trying to deny your experience but lots of reviews do not feature any mention of significant noise. Maybe just your set?

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=223&tab=ResultCharts

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/rating...del=ExtremeContact+Sport&fromTireDetail=true#

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I gotta ask, have you heard what a track tire sounds like? I've heard some louder summer tires but they're nothing compared with an NT01 or even the RE71R (that between 30-45 mph sounds like an offroad tire). I'm not trying to deny your experience but lots of reviews do not feature any mention of significant noise. Maybe just your set?

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=223&tab=ResultCharts

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/rating...del=ExtremeContact+Sport&fromTireDetail=true#
I don't have first had experience with a track tire, but I don't mind noise for track days. That's fine but driving around town with all of the noise is annoying as all hell. Makes having a nice convo either in person or on the phone an impossible task at times.

I agree that no reviews mention the noise of these, cause had they of mentioned it I would have likely purchased something else. Perhaps I have a defective set but it's not likely and no way to tell. Performance again is amazing, but the noise, ughhhh. I've had others even comment on how loud they are when driving in my car.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have first had experience with a track tire, but I don't mind noise for track days. That's fine but driving around town with all of the noise is annoying as all hell. Makes having a nice convo either in person or on the phone an impossible task at times.

I agree that no reviews mention the noise of these, cause had they of mentioned it I would have likely purchased something else. Perhaps I have a defective set but it's not likely and no way to tell. Performance again is amazing, but the noise, ughhhh. I've had others even comment on how loud they are when driving in my car.
Right. They say comparable to pilot super sports on noise and comfort. I've owned those, and when new to about 2/3 life they were very quiet. Last third they got noisy. You may have had a bad set...what size and what wheel?

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Right. They say comparable to pilot super sports on noise and comfort. I've owned those, and when new to about 2/3 life they were very quiet. Last third they got noisy. You may have had a bad set...what size and what wheel?
275.35r19 and SVE Drifts. Tried a range of pressure too they are loud no matter what except on a good road. No worries though, I prob got another 13k miles on them and I'll get a more daily friendly set. Live and learn

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Are you trying to set lap records in the wet, or just want to have fun?

Firestone Indy 500s seem to hold up well on track, should be pretty good in the rain, and cost a lot less than MPS4s. Slower, but frees up budget for dry weather tires (to set the lap records with) or more events.

OP
OP

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Are you trying to set lap records in the wet, or just want to have fun?

Firestone Indy 500s seem to hold up well on track, should be pretty good in the rain, and cost a lot less than MPS4s. Slower, but frees up budget for dry weather tires (to set the lap records with) or more events.
These will be rain/DD tires. Maybe the occasional dry day of mixed conditions when the weather won't cooperate. These won't be to set records in the rain. Rain days are about sliding around and working on car control for me, never times.
I wouldn't mind the price of the PS4S if they didn't damage. it's just something about the tire construction and they way my tracks overrun go together that sometimes tears them up. They de laminate from the tread and under layer of the tire around the cords and the tread rips off.
Sponsored