Sponsored

Pre cut PPF…anyone tried?

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
Has anyone purchased and installed a pre cut PPF kit?

I was looking to have a pro do the leading portion of the hood, partial front fender, and mirrors, but receiving quotes around $1k. I understand they need to make a buck, but I’m looking to try this myself in these limited areas. I wouldn’t want to try complex areas or cutting at this time though.

I usually do a lot of work myself, and started ceramic coating my vehicles myself a few years ago.

Xpel has some kits, but this store also has the hood portion already cut out around the hood decal. I didn’t want to cover it since the decal is matte.

https://precutppf.store/shop/?wpce_search=253573&post_type=product
Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

I tried it years ago in my Mazda3. It was a nightmare and never looked right. Peeled it off 3 days later. I leave tint and ppf to the pros now.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
It’s not something I would ever mess with. As simple as it seems an amateur job will look terrible. This car is too nice in my opinion to use as a practice surface for learning how to apply film.

OP
OP
cheeser

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know there is an art to this, but I don’t mind giving it a try. I’m open to learning on a small scale.

If I don’t like the end result, it’s relatively easy to remove and I can chalk it up as a learning experience.

davtpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Back to the PPF/ceramic coatings… my thoughts for mine are PPF on the front (this is a must in my area with freaking stones everywhere due to new construction/roadwork and I-75) and ceramic on the rest due to the decals which I personally love for the Mach1. Would this be a reasonable approach?

Sponsored

VooDoo_Ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edward
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Converible 2018 F-150 2020 GT 350 on order
Back to the PPF/ceramic coatings… my thoughts for mine are PPF on the front (this is a must in my area with freaking stones everywhere due to new construction/roadwork and I-75) and ceramic on the rest due to the decals which I

OP
OP
cheeser

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks nice, but hoping to keep this topic focused on those that obtained a pre cut kit and installed themselves.

VooDoo_Ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edward
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Converible 2018 F-150 2020 GT 350 on order
Ok my bad...good luck

Sponsored

stangcrazy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Challenger SRT 392 - I know its not a mustang
Purchased a pre-cut for my Challenger when i first bought it. Its about 250.00 with all the pre-cut pieces for the front end. Took me 2 hours to just cover the front bumper and looked like crap. Like others, I wouldnt recommend it.

Personally, I think its easier to work with sheets of the material and use a razor/knife to cut around the areas. The pre-cut is too damn squirly to deal with and if you mess with it too much, it begins to bubble

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Looks nice, but hoping to keep this topic focused on those that obtained a pre cut kit and installed themselves.
I like you have applied ceramic coating on several cars now and wanted to take a stab at giving the ppf a try. My installer gave me the precuts to the headlights/fog lights for me to try and I actually enjoyed doing it and it came out perfect....this part is as easy as it gets due to the flatness.
At first I noticed a few air bubbles that I needed to fix which requires using a syringe but after waiting a few days they went away. To me the biggest fear is wasting the material as it is pretty expensive but if you are patient and work well with your hands I feel it can be done. I really enjoy working with my hands so it feels somewhat natural for me.

OP
OP
cheeser

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like you have applied ceramic coating on several cars now and wanted to take a stab at giving the ppf a try. My installer gave me the precuts to the headlights/fog lights for me to try and I actually enjoyed doing it and it came out perfect....this part is as easy as it gets due to the flatness.
At first I noticed a few air bubbles that I needed to fix which requires using a syringe but after waiting a few days they went away. To me the biggest fear is wasting the material as it is pretty expensive but if you are patient and work well with your hands I feel it can be done. I really enjoy working with my hands so it feels somewhat natural for me.
My plan was to start with the headlights and mirrors to get a bit of experience for an easier area, then off to the hood. I'm only planning on doing the leading edge of the hood.

Purchased a pre-cut for my Challenger when i first bought it. Its about 250.00 with all the pre-cut pieces for the front end. Took me 2 hours to just cover the front bumper and looked like crap. Like others, I wouldnt recommend it.

Personally, I think its easier to work with sheets of the material and use a razor/knife to cut around the areas. The pre-cut is too damn squirly to deal with and if you mess with it too much, it begins to bubble
Thanks for the input....will keep that in mind.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
My plan was to start with the headlights and mirrors to get a bit of experience for an easier area, then off to the hood. I'm only planning on doing the leading edge of the hood.

Thanks for the input....will keep that in mind.
The mirrors will definitely be more of a challenge and if you master that I feel you are ready. Good luck and keep us posted!

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
Get the smallest amount available and play with it. Temps are huge meaning make sure the material and car the same temp and the work area has no impurities. There are lot of free Lance guys doing this stuff these days as well. Watch some YouTube videos as well.
Sponsored