Sponsored

Poll: what do you think is easier/less time consuming???

Which one is quicker/easier

• installing front springs and sway bars

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • installing rear springs, sway bars, camber kit, and cradle lockout kit

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Installing front springs, sway bar, and camber bolts

or

Installing rear springs, sway bar, steeda camber adjusters, and cradle lockout kit

I originally thought that the front would be easier, so I did it yesterday, but I feel like I had to fight with everything. I'm hoping the rear will be a lot easier!

For anyone who has done this stuff on the rear, any tips? any tools that I should make sure that I have other than normal stuff?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely the rear, although with the camber adjusters that might equal out. Without those, the rear springs and bars and lockout kit are much quicker than the front springs and bars.

OP
OP
robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Definitely the rear, although with the camber adjusters that might equal out. Without those, the rear springs and bars and lockout kit are much quicker than the front springs and bars.
thank you! Wow, I thought I was getting the easy stuff out of the way, but it's good to know that I already did the more difficult stuff.

I was super nervous about dropping the cradle, but watching videos, it doesn't seem that bad compared to what I did yesterday... I am still nervous about the camber adjusters though... not sure how easy it will be to get tools in and around there.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
thank you! Wow, I thought I was getting the easy stuff out of the way, but it's good to know that I already did the more difficult stuff.

I was super nervous about dropping the cradle, but watching videos, it doesn't seem that bad compared to what I did yesterday... I am still nervous about the camber adjusters though... not sure how easy it will be to get tools in and around there.
To do springs, you have to drop one side of the cradle fully and break the other side loose a couple mm IF you have the cradle installed, or otherwise you can't get the springs out. With no lockout, you can probably just leave one side tight and drop one.

Rear springs & shocks takes less than half the time of new front springs & struts. Front bar is definitely far more time consuming than the rear, and the lockout takes barely any additional time if you're already doing springs.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
If you're putting the rear springs...it takes almost no additional effort for the cradle lockout and sway. Now, the camber adjuster, that must take some additional work.

Still way easier than banging out the bolts on the strut, compressing springs...and the goddamn awful front sway bar!

Sponsored

OP
OP
robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
To do springs, you have to drop one side of the cradle fully and break the other side loose a couple mm. Otherwise you can't get the springs out.

Rear springs & shocks takes less than half the time of new front springs & struts. Front bar is definitely far more time consuming than the rear, and the lockout takes barely any additional time if you're already doing springs.
Since I was doing so much to the front, I took everything apart. The stock bar came right out, and the new one went right in. I did it by myself with my 3 year old son in the garage messing with everything. I'll bet without taking the spring/strut assemblies out and the rotors and calipers out, there would be a lot less room to work though. It looks like the rear will be no problem.

Any tips on what order to do everything? Would this be a take everything out at once type of deal or should I do certain things first. It looks like the springs and lockout kit will be done together, one side at a time... I can't figure out if it makes sense to take other stuff off like the sway bar or the upper control arm to make anything any easier...

OP
OP
robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
If you're putting the rear springs...it takes almost no additional effort for the cradle lockout and sway. Now, the camber adjuster, that must take some additional work.

Still way easier than banging out the bolts on the strut, compressing springs...and the goddamn awful front sway bar!
ha!

I actually did the front without a spring compressor. worked like a charm too.

the spindle bolts were INSANE. easily the worst part of the job.

with everything apart, the sway bar was super easy, other than alternator clearance... no biggie though.

For the first time, I actually stopped and walked away a few times when frustrated. This helped a lot.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Since I was doing so much to the front, I took everything apart. The stock bar came right out, and the new one went right in. I did it by myself with my 3 year old son in the garage messing with everything. I'll bet without taking the spring/strut assemblies out and the rotors and calipers out, there would be a lot less room to work though. It looks like the rear will be no problem.

Any tips on what order to do everything? Would this be a take everything out at once type of deal or should I do certain things first. It looks like the springs and lockout kit will be done together, one side at a time... I can't figure out if it makes sense to take other stuff off like the sway bar or the upper control arm to make anything any easier...
Do one side, springs first, then lockout, but do not fully tighten that lockout side (leave a small air gap). Then do the other side. Then come through and tighten and torque the 4 main bolts.

OP
OP
robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Do one side, springs first, then lockout, but do not fully tighten that lockout side (leave a small air gap). Then do the other side. Then come through and tighten and torque the 4 main bolts.
what about camber kit and sway bar? do those after?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
what about camber kit and sway bar? do those after?
Yes. Neither needs the subframe to be loose, so do the hard stuff first. I'm not sure if not having springs in would give you more access to do the camber kit, though. Sway bar is super easy and should be done with the subframe tightened down.

Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
ha!

I actually did the front without a spring compressor. worked like a charm too.

the spindle bolts were INSANE. easily the worst part of the job.

with everything apart, the sway bar was super easy, other than alternator clearance... no biggie though.

For the first time, I actually stopped and walked away a few times when frustrated. This helped a lot.
Do you think it's possible to swap the front sway without taking out the caliper and rotor?

OP
OP
robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Yes. Neither needs the subframe to be loose, so do the hard stuff first. I'm not sure if not having springs in would give you more access to do the camber kit, though. Sway bar is super easy and should be done with the subframe tightened down.
cool, so I'll start in on the springs and cradle kit and see if I get to a point where I think that the camber kit would go on easily. If not, I'll wait until the end. Hopefully there are some decent marks by now so that I can rough set the camber until I get it on a rack. I only have 1800 miles though!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
cool, so I'll start in on the springs and cradle kit and see if I get to a point where I think that the camber kit would go on easily. If not, I'll wait until the end. Hopefully there are some decent marks by now so that I can rough set the camber until I get it on a rack. I only have 1800 miles though!
Use a paint pen and mark the link and something else nearby to get it close.