Sponsored

Car shutting off by itself in Auxillary mode fast

Rod27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
My car has been shutting down in Auxillary mode by itself in about 2-3 mins and I don't know why, it also does the same when I turn the engine off but it will shut down in a bout 1 minute. I got a new battery in Jan, but it was doing the same behavior before that. Can someone help me figure out what the issue is.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
What do you mean by 'auxiliary' mode? Mustangs don't have an 'accessory' mode; only ignition ON and OFF. So you probably mean the feature called 'retained accessory power' after you turn the engine OFF, no? THAT can be changed with FORScan. I set it to zero (well, to 0001, since you can't put zero, but basically shuts down immediately). So check what your car has with FORScan. It's code BCM 726-39-01 YYYY xxxx xx. It was 1194 xxxx xx from the factory, and I set it to 0001 xxxx xx. It's a hex code, I believe, but obviously, the higher the number, the longer the time it takes to time out. I did it to cut off the '12V power point' (and it worked), but I think it also cuts off the radio, etc., but not sure if there's a different code for that, or it's the same. I haven't tried it yet, since I always turn everything off before shutting engine off. Hope this helps.

OP
OP

Rod27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
What do you mean by 'auxiliary' mode? Mustangs don't have an 'accessory' mode; only ignition ON and OFF. So you probably mean the feature called 'retained accessory power' after you turn the engine OFF, no? THAT can be changed with FORScan. I set it to zero (well, to 0001, since you can't put zero, but basically shuts down immediately). So check what your car has with FORScan. It's code BCM 726-39-01 YYYY xxxx xx. It was 1194 xxxx xx from the factory, and I set it to 0001 xxxx xx. It's a hex code, I believe, but obviously, the higher the number, the longer the time it takes to time out. I did it to cut off the '12V power point' (and it worked), but I think it also cuts off the radio, etc., but not sure if there's a different code for that, or it's the same. I haven't tried it yet, since I always turn everything off before shutting engine off. Hope this helps.
I meant basically when u turn on the car without starting the engine. ( Pressing the start button on without the foot on the brake)

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That's ignition ON mode, brother; that can deplete your battery in short order. And if your battery is low (most likely), it'd shut everything off so you can start the engine later, which is probably what is happening. You should NEVER leave ignition on more than just a second or so, before cranking the engine. As I mentioned, there's no accessory only mode on our cars, for some strange reason.

Go ahead and fully charge your battery, and it shouldn't shut off that quickly anymore, but get used to never having just ignition ON without starting the engine right away. And leave a charger connected if you don't use the car daily. Hope this helps.

OP
OP

Rod27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
That's ignition ON mode, brother; that can deplete your battery in short order. And if your battery is low (most likely), it'd shut everything off so you can start the engine later, which is probably what is happening. You should NEVER leave ignition on more than just a second or so, before cranking the engine. As I mentioned, there's no accessory only mode on our cars, for some strange reason.

Go ahead and fully charge your battery, and it shouldn't shut off that quickly anymore, but get used to never having just ignition ON without starting the engine right away. And leave a charger connected if you don't use the car daily. Hope this helps.
Ok, hopefully that works. It's more so if I wanted to listen to the radio without the engine on .

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Shouldn't do that with just ignition ON. If you leave doors closed after shutting engine off, you could do that for a few minutes, with way less energy consumption... but still not a good idea if car is going to sit for a while after that. Remember our battery is super marginal for a freaking large V8 with 12.1:1 CR. Lots of juice needed to crank that engine.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt

What? Pushing the start button without holding brake and starting the car is the same thing as turning the key to accessory position in a regular car. You can do this no problem as long as your cars battery is in good condition and has a good charge. I sit in my car with my 1000 watt stereo playing all the time with the accessory power on and no problems. Op might want to check if his charging system is working properly

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
What? Pushing the start button without holding brake and starting the car is the same thing as turning the key to accessory position in a regular car.
NO, it's not; It turns ignition ON. Can't you see all the idiot lights, and dash, turning on? Just pushing the button is exactly what I do to my car a second or two before cranking the engine (to run diagnostics, and prime fuel pump); starts instantly after that. With 'accessory' mode, nothing turns on except the radio and 12V outlet (if any). Do what you want on your car, but you're draining the battery like that way more than if it had accessory mode.

OP
OP

Rod27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
You all think the alternator could be the cause of this?
Sponsored